HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 9:52 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Streetview on my rural road hasn't been updated since 2014.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 9:45 PM
surely you agree with me

view from the fourth floor...sorry for the link. Can't post a video here.

https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...863193600?s=20

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 10:47 PM

^ Awesome thanks for that. Looks so good already driving by.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 2:41 AM

Awesome to see these rising. Osborne Village is definitely one of the most exciting areas in the city. How do you think these will be for apartment dwellers noise-wise, especially the ones facing Osborne St?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
view from the fourth floor...sorry for the link. Can't post a video here.

https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...863193600?s=20
See your twitter post, have you moved to the new platform yet?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 3:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Threads, so far so good.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 4:24 AM
surely you agree with me

I’m not dying to take ten more years to rebuild a 17,000 person following. I have a high level of engagement and significant media influence on Twitter. But if I have to, I guess will try. Elon Sucks.

I’ve never liked Instagram, so it’s starting from zero. We will see how it plays out.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
I’m not dying to take ten more years to rebuild a 17,000 person following. I have a high level of engagement and significant media influence on Twitter. But if I have to, I guess will try. Elon Sucks.

I’ve never liked Instagram, so it’s starting from zero. We will see how it plays out.
Yeah, 17,000 followers is no joke. I feel like there's no rush for you to switch platforms.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:39 PM
What could go wrong?

I have just been finding that my Twitter has become so bogged down with useless ads over the past 2 or 3 weeks that I barely go on now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 4:42 PM

I had a letters-and-number twitter account that I used mostly to follow news and topics I'm interested in, but it became unbearable when Elon started meddling with it so I deleted my account a few months ago and never looked back. Coincidentally I started a Mastodon account earlier this week, but there is hardly anyone there, at least in terms of the stuff I'm interested in.

Vike is a gem on local twitter... I always enjoyed your stuff there and you were one of the reasons I kept my account as long as I did, along with @Super70sSports, haha. You do a great job of raising architecture/design/urbanism topics with a broader audience, particularly the younger folks who may not be exposed to your Free Press columns.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2023, 6:39 PM
surely you agree with me

^ thank you. I appreciate the kind words. It definitely does reach a different audience. When people approach me on the street, there’s a pretty strong demographic split between those who say I follow you on Twitter and those who say I read you in the paper.

I haven’t experienced any of the issues on Twitter that I hear other people facing. (Trolls, ads etc) Not sure why. It’s actually gotten better for me recently because Twitter seems to know who is trolling me and hides those replies under a ‘more replies’ heading at the end of my tweet. I only see them when someone replies back to them.

I also decided a while ago to not give trolls a free pass. If someone is being a clown, I call them on it. Maybe that’s helped. I also now block liberally. Including Elon.

I haven’t seen engagement in my tweets really decline yet. Not noticeably at least. As long as they still gain traction, I’ll keep posting there. It’s also still where media gets its stories from. It makes me laugh how often I can tweet something, like something from this site, and within two hours I have a phone call from someone at CBC or wherever. I often joke with whoever I’m with, let’s see how quickly this becomes news. When I tweeted about Vulcan Ironworks I had a call from CJOB, global tv and free press within an hour.

I’ve had a couple tweets go big that gained like 500+ followers in a day but generally, I have pretty consistently gained 100 followers per month since day one. That has dropped slightly since Elon. People closing their accounts mostly. Same number of new followers but followers dropping off has gone from 10-15 to 20-30 per month.

We will see what happens with Threads. Instagram is a different animal. I could post duplicate tweets over there. But I’ll wait and see what happens before committing. I’m definitely not looking to add more social media to my life.

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 9, 2023 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
^ thank you. I appreciate the kind words. It definitely does reach a different audience. When people approach me on the street, there’s a pretty strong demographic split between those who say I follow you on Twitter and those who say I read you in the paper.

I haven’t experienced any of the issues on Twitter that I hear other people facing. (Trolls, ads etc) Not sure why. It’s actually gotten better for me recently because Twitter seems to know who is trolling me and hides those replies under a ‘more replies’ heading at the end of my tweet. I only see them when someone replies back to them.

I also decided a while ago to not give trolls a free pass. If someone is being a clown, I call them on it. Maybe that’s helped. I also now block liberally. Including Elon.

I haven’t seen engagement in my tweets really decline yet. Not noticeably at least. As long as they still gain traction, I’ll keep posting there. It’s also still where media gets its stories from. It makes me laugh how often I can tweet something, like something from this site, and within two hours I have a phone call from someone at CBC or wherever. I often joke with whoever I’m with, let’s see how quickly this becomes news. When I tweeted about Vulcan Ironworks I had a call from CJOB, global tv and free press within an hour.

I’ve had a couple tweets go big that gained like 500+ followers in a day but generally, I have pretty consistently gained 100 followers per month since day one. That has dropped slightly since Elon. People closing their accounts mostly. Same number of new followers but followers dropping off has gone from 10-15 to 20-30 per month.

We will see what happens with Threads. Instagram is a different animal. I could post duplicate tweets over there. But I’ll wait and see what happens before committing. I’m definitely not looking to add more social media to my life.
Besides BuildWPG (who mostly just posts the news and rumors that seem to float around this forum) there isn't a good Instagram account that does a good job of relaying information and photos of the architectural developments in the city. If you ever decided to start an Instagram dedicated to this (and maybe throw in some historical photos/info every so often as well) I'm sure people would be thrilled, and you'd definitely reach a big audience. Given your background and experience I think you'd be a perfect fit.

As for the sentiment surrounding Elon, I totally agree, which is why something like this would be awesome given the current state of twitter. Elon's algorithm has really shaken things up... and as a longtime twitter follower of yours, it seems as though I barely ever get shown your tweets anymore. I have to search up your twitter handle manually once a week to see if you've posted.

Instagram isn't much better in terms of algo, but the stories feature is a great way to relay new posts to all your followers so that they see when you've released new photos. Think about it! You've got my support, and I'm sure most of us would agree.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 7:11 PM

Your Twitter postings are great Vike. Keep it up!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:11 AM
surely you agree with me

I have never understood how anyone builds a following on Instagram. If posts aren’t shareable, unless you are a celebrity or a retailer, how does anyone other than your friends see it. I have a few tweets seen by 3-4 million people. That’s the fun of Twitter. You can reach people from everywhere.

It’s seems like Instagram isn’t even a photo sharing app anymore. It’s more a “here’s a five second video of what I’m doing today” app. It’s not a place for discourse and debate. It’s more like a scrapbook for friends. I’ve never had interest in it. It also drives me nuts that you can’t save photos or zoom in without keeping your fingers on your phone.

The more I think about Threads the more I think it will be text Instagram. If they don’t make timelines follower based and add hashtags and searching it will certainly never be a place for media or real debate and dialogue. Twitter is often news in real time. But you need those functions to do that.

It also has a big uphill climb to get people who have invested years in building followings to start from zero. Twitter is really going to have to crash to get the big content creators, experts, media and advocates to just walk away from it to start over. Even transferring over Instagram followers isn’t the same. I thought that would be their big advantage but really, they are generally different people. People who would follow me on Instagram wouldn’t be interested in what I say on Twitter. They are more interested in what I had for dinner than what I think about local news. The two platforms are for completely different things.

We will see what happens but I’m not sold on threads really being the death of Twitter. It’s Twitter built by people who hate Twitter. And it’s missing the point. So far at least. The idea that it can be a happy cordial playground and also a place for debate is fantasy.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:24 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Your Twitter postings are great Vike. Keep it up!
Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 3:21 PM
surely you agree with me

65 new followers and 40 unfollows this week....maybe Threads is going to do it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 3:27 AM
surely you agree with me

Topped out.

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 8, 2023 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 3:54 AM

Looks mint.

I went to high school with Adam Sharfe of Sharfe Developments. Different circles.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 12:28 PM

looking great driving down Osborne. Any idea if any of the retail/office units are taken? it's so sad to see Des Meurons and St. Annes buildings all sitting empty. Residential are full but no one going in the CRU

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan