HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:04 PM
ハルウララ

I call bull. There's no situation the Sea Dogs can move to that's better than what they have now. If they lose money in SJ they'll lose money anywhere.

The owners don't exactly need the money, and a hundred thousand or so a year is effective pocket change to them.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:09 PM

I find it very hard to believe that they are having a hard go of things in Saint John.

As for the other city, I bet it begins with an F and ends in redericton

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree. I think this was nothing more than a (well played) negotiating tactic. Irving has pulled off similar shenanigans with the Wildcats in Moncton. I agree that the bait was likely Fredericton. This would be the most palatable to the league, and given the McCain's own the team, this would make logical sense........

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

I suspect Fredericton is a toothless threat used just for negotiating. Most likely the council was willing to make the deal, and the 'threat' of moving the Sea Dogs was just a way to justify it.

While I'd love to see a pro team up here, there doesn't seem to be much chatter about doing so.

Now, if we get a city council that starts talking about building a "Capital Station" centre similar to Harbour Station, then the threat of moving/starting a team in Fredericton will have more teeth to it. As I've said in the Freddy thread, it is something the council should start doing; the Aitkin centre is ancient, and the city should have a centre independent of the University. I'm sure UNB ultimately wouldn't mind being able to redevelop the Aitkin Centre space, while pushing the costs of maintaining a large centre off to someone else, as well, as long as they can arrange to have a preferential access options to the new centre.

The city should be forming some committees now to start looking at options and costs, so that in 5-10 years we have the ducks in a row to start building it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I agree. I think this was nothing more than a (well played) negotiating tactic. Irving has pulled off similar shenanigans with the Wildcats in Moncton. I agree that the bait was likely Fredericton. This would be the most palatable to the league, and given the McCain's own the team, this would make logical sense........
Woodstock Slammers moved to Fredericton at the end of the Maritime Junior A season. I didn't think there was enough room in Freddy for three sgnificant teams if it was Fredericton who made the offer.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Woodstock Slammers moved to Fredericton at the end of the Maritime Junior A season. I didn't think there was enough room in Freddy for three sgnificant teams if it was Fredericton who made the offer.
I don't think an offer actually exists from Fredericton, if it was indeed the location being threatened.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
St. Stephen moved to Fredericton. Woodstock moved to Grand Falls after the 2017-18 season.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't think an offer actually exists from Fredericton, if it was indeed the location being threatened.
Absolutely, I don't think the Q would even accept a transfer agreement to Fredericton given their current arena situation.

I would love to see a Q team in Fredericton but until they have a quality facility that holds at least 4000 there won't be a team there. Certainly there is teams in the Q with dated facilities but they have been in the league for a long time, and many are making upgrades to the facilities they have.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
St. Stephen moved to Fredericton. Woodstock moved to Grand Falls after the 2017-18 season.
Thank you, I was sitting at my desk this afternoon and realized my error. the aces went to Fredericton. Slammers are now in GF.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Trois-Rivières is building a new arena that will be ready at the end of the year, with a stated goal to get back in the league.

Though I have not found any articles that say they're shopping around for a relocation in southern NB.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 9:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Trois-Rivières is building a new arena that will be ready at the end of the year, with a stated goal to get back in the league.

Though I have not found any articles that say they're shopping around for a relocation in southern NB.
Because it's very likely the idea was fabricated to enhance their position.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Ivan Barbashev has his ring!!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Shawinigan would have to approve a territory reduction in order to get a team in Trois-Rivières.

I suspect more an ECHL team going there and they could become the Habs ECHL farm team as the Habs have a good deal with the Maine Mariners but no official ECHL farm teams.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 5:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Jakob Pelletier has been drafted in the first round (#26) by the Calgary Flames!

He is only the 4th Wildcat ever to have been drafted in the first round at the NHL draft!!

Congratulations Jakob!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 7:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And Jordan Spence has gone in the early 4th round (#95) to the Los Angeles Kings.

Way to go Jordan!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
And Jordan Spence has gone in the early 4th round (#95) to the Los Angeles Kings.

Way to go Jordan!

A steal for LA as Spence was rated much higher.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Article in LeDroit about Gatineau's new arena - with some photos and video. Things are moving along nicely towards a November 2020 opening.

In the past we've discussed on here about Gatineau hosting the 2020(?) Memorial Cup and if the arena's capacity would be sufficient. A capacity of 4000 was mentioned but the actual capacity when you count luxury boxes and VIP sections will be 4800.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...Gsvd7VKHISE4bs

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

2022 actually (Halifax hosted this year).

I imagine the QMJHL would prefer a Quebec based team to host the next time it's their league's turn to host the Memorial Cup. Gatineau would certainly be a strong contender.

So, the first possible year for the Avenir Centre to host the Memorial Cup would be 2025. Moncton however would be facing strong competition from Saint John (a city which has never hosted the Memorial Cup). I we don't host the cup in 2025, it likely won't happen until 2031.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Oops. Yes 2022.

Last edited by Acajack; Aug 5, 2019 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I imagine the QMJHL would prefer a Quebec based team to host the next time it's their league's turn to host the Memorial Cup. Gatineau would certainly be a strong contender.

Gatineau seems like it has the inside track. Saguenay (Chicoutimi), another potential host has not even broken ground on its new rink yet. They're still in the public consultations phase. No final decision has even been made AFAIK.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces