HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 7:12 AM

Donald Trump is still far from being in winning position. The electoral college system still means Hillary Clinton has a rather large lead. I'm pretty sure that Trump will not do well at all even though some polls and predictions will say otherwise. Sort of like how many in Canadasome thought that the Harper conservatives still had a good chance right until election day in 2015..

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Not sure where else to post this so I'll put it here.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/a...-usa-1.3763428
Wheeew, and this Iowa senator thinks we drive 110MPH, and has not converted into KM? That, among other things, shows the provincial ignorance of so many Americans.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 10:47 AM
Closed account

It's from This is That, a satire show.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Although to be fair, there are probably several strains of BC bud that are more famous/popular than the peameal bacon sandwich, and you can technically eat weed, so...
Ahh the famous pea meal bacon sandwich. The first I heard of it was by by someone on here proudly talking it up as some sort of Toronto signature dish along the same pedigree as a Philly Cheese steak or Montreal smoked meat sandwich.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 1:23 PM

A peameal bacon sandwich is about 20% tastier/better than Montreal smoked meat and about 54% tastier/better than the Philly cheese steak.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 4:57 PM

/\ What is it made of ?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Donald Trump is still far from being in winning position. The electoral college system still means Hillary Clinton has a rather large lead. I'm pretty sure that Trump will not do well at all even though some polls and predictions will say otherwise. Sort of like how many in Canadasome thought that the Harper conservatives still had a good chance right until election day in 2015..
I shared the same view. However it does not look good now. The margin is almost gone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/uspolltracker/

It was amusing to watch the American rally for this type of change. Now it looks like they may actually elect a leader who has little regard for analysis, insight, or well any systematic thought process.

It is has gone far enough. On behalf of the rest of the world we need to find a way of taking away the keys before the US does harm to itself or anyone else. Canada needs to step up and be the designated driver for the free world. Perhaps we should take turns with the Germans and Scandinavians. They appear to also be responsible.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:11 PM
Fake News

Never tasted and barely heard of the Toronto Peameal sandwich.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If fries, dressing, and gravy would go national, I think it'd be quite popular. Honey on fried chicken (including chicken burgers) is good too but that already exists elsewhere in pockets.

Beyond that we're shit out of luck. No one would want to consume any of our other local things.

Pineapple Crush is great though. Maybe if Pepsi offered that everywhere it'd do well. But it has nothing to do with us, really, except that we're the market for it.

Only heard of peameal on SSP too. Curious to try it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Never tasted and barely heard of the Toronto Peameal sandwich.
I was in St Lawrence Market, but decided not to have one. Too bad.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:00 PM

Same here, wouldn't have ever heard of peameal bacon without SSP. I'll try not to forget to get one next time I pass through the GTA. I don't doubt that it's at least decently good (in terms of taste).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:43 PM

What this thread's lacking is a good cycling meme:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Same here, wouldn't have ever heard of peameal bacon without SSP. I'll try not to forget to get one next time I pass through the GTA. I don't doubt that it's at least decently good (in terms of taste).
I went to Toronto many times without hearing about this sandwich. I first heard about on SSP and tried it subsequently on a visit to Toronto.

It's quite tasty.

When it comes to taste alone, I don't see the reason why it has not become as iconic as smoked meat, poutine and bagels have become for that other city over there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 7:09 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I went to Toronto many times without hearing about this sandwich. I first heard about on SSP and tried it subsequently on a visit to Toronto.

It's quite tasty.

When it comes to taste alone, I don't see the reason why it has not become as iconic as smoked meat, poutine and bagels have become for that other city over there.
I never heard about smoked meat sandwiches till SSP, Montreal's not very high profile. Bagels are not unique to Montreal, and the local variety tastes no different than the NYC variety. As far as poutine goes, it's not from Montreal, if we're using that as a comparable, may as well include butter tarts which were invented just 1 hour North of Toronto and are well known nationally (most coffee shops or Tim Hortons carry it for example).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I never heard about smoked meat sandwiches till SSP, Montreal's not very high profile. Bagels are not unique to Montreal, and the local variety tastes no different than the NYC variety. As far as poutine goes, it's not from Montreal, if we're using that as a comparable, may as well include butter tarts which were invented just 1 hour North of Toronto and are well known nationally (most coffee shops or Tim Hortons carry it for example).
1) No need for your trolling...
2) Anything invented in a metropolis' catchment area is fair game for it to claim; butter tarts can be Torontonian if you want. Anything invented in Southern Ontario is likely going to soon be Toronto's and/or known to the rest of the country or the continent as something typically Toronto (as opposed to local in flavor).
3) Anything not invented anywhere near a place can still successfully come to be associated with that place. The croissant was a recent import into Paris (from Austria), yet it now serves as an example of a very typical local product over there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

Anyone who can't tell the difference between a Montreal bagel and a New York bagel has a very questionable sense of taste. They even look completely different.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
1) No need for your trolling...
2) Anything invented in a metropolis' catchment area is fair game for it to claim; butter tarts can be Torontonian if you want. Anything invented in Southern Ontario is likely going to soon be Toronto's and/or known to the rest of the country or the continent as something typically Toronto (as opposed to local in flavor).
3) Anything not invented anywhere near a place can still successfully come to be associated with that place. The croissant was a recent import into Paris (from Austria), yet it now serves as an example of a very typical local product over there.
Austria yes, inspired by the ottomans too!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:05 PM

Although the pemeal sandwich is nothing new to Toronto, apparently the mayor only recently declared it the city's signature dish.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/09...bacon-sandwich

Ive never actually had one in TO, but they are damn good made @home.

edit - my username is a coincidence.

Last edited by porkmedallions; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Anyone who can't tell the difference between a Montreal bagel and a New York bagel has a very questionable sense of taste. They even look completely different.
"Values test" suggestion for all immigration candidates: eat a bit of a Montreal bagel and a bit of a New York bagel, see if you can tell which is which; if you deem them identical/indistinguishable, you are eliminated and your spot is given to an immigrant with a less questionable sense of taste.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Via Google.

Quote:
In contrast to the New York-style bagel, the Montreal bagel is smaller, thinner, sweeter and denser, with a larger hole, and is always baked in a wood-fired oven. It contains malt, egg, and no salt and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked.
Looking between images of the two, the New York one seems to be what you get at the grocery here, whereas the Montreal one is what you'd get at a bakery.

So Googled Georgestown Bakery, which has my favourite bagels in the city, and sure enough - "Montreal-style".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada