HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 2:57 AM

^ Ha, about time we had one of our own

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

While I think this will be a fine addition to the city's list of local attractions, I don't think it will be a major draw outside the city...maybe not even a minor draw at that. Nor will it be some one-of-a-kind conservatory that can't be found in many other cities. Just go to Wikipedia and type in conservatories in Canada and the USA. There are many that are just as large and impressive as what we will have here in Winnipeg.
I think it will be a valuable piece of the "big picture" of "things to see and do in Winnipeg". No, the idea isn't unique, but I think it's extremely difficult to find "unique" attractions outside the largest / most ancient cities in the world. I think Winnipeg can already offer several day's worth of interesting attractions in and around the city, and the Diversity Gardens will be just one more thing for people to put on their "to-do" lists when they come to town.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I think it will be a valuable piece of the "big picture" of "things to see and do in Winnipeg". No, the idea isn't unique, but I think it's extremely difficult to find "unique" attractions outside the largest / most ancient cities in the world. I think Winnipeg can already offer several day's worth of interesting attractions in and around the city, and the Diversity Gardens will be just one more thing for people to put on their "to-do" lists when they come to town.
I think it is going to be very unique assuming the video is correct, the building alone will be never mind what the content. B and G saying it won’t even be a “minor “attraction” smacks of someone who hasn’t even ventured to the web page. People come here from the states for folklorama for gawd sakes. As for families, there will be package prices - and I know for a fact kids love butterfly gardens.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There has been a cost increase due to the complexities of those project, the original $75 Million budget has increased to 97.8 Million.
Yeah - interesting that the new snazzy video came out just before that news.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 11:58 PM

Almost the exact same video was posted when they first launched the project, it’s nothing new.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think it is going to be very unique assuming the video is correct, the building alone will be never mind what the content. B and G saying it won’t even be a “minor “attraction” smacks of someone who hasn’t even ventured to the web page. People come here from the states for folklorama for gawd sakes. As for families, there will be package prices - and I know for a fact kids love butterfly gardens.
I get your point. While many cities have conservatories, this one will have the advantage of a modern building and an approach promoting sustainability in environmental use. I'm still looking very much to it's completion.

Random thought: if some folks hate the word "diversity", they will probably become furious at the word "sustainability"!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I saw the video last year, maybe even the year before in 2017 when it was first presented. Yes, there appears to be a multitude of interesting environments within the gardens, but its plants. I don't see this receiving the same widespread enthusiasm that will result in several repeat visits annually that the zoo would undoubtedly receive. Nice addition, but it will not garner the same attention as the zoo, museums, art gallery, forks and the sports teams.

Off topic, what should be Winnipeg's next big get?

The ever elusive indoor waterpark?
I personally would love to see an aquarium with both an indoor and outdoor component. Quebec City has one, no reason we shouldn't, is there?
If Winnipeg were to pursue an aquarium, I guess the spot that would make the most sense, would be the west side of the zoo where there appears to be quite a bit of space.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:22 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I saw the video last year, maybe even the year before in 2017 when it was first presented. Yes, there appears to be a multitude of interesting environments within the gardens, but its plants. I don't see this receiving the same widespread enthusiasm that will result in several repeat visits annually that the zoo would undoubtedly receive. Nice addition, but it will not garner the same attention as the zoo, museums, art gallery, forks and the sports teams.

The ever elusive indoor waterpark?
I personally would love to see an aquarium with both an indoor and outdoor component. Quebec City has one, no reason we shouldn't, is there?
If Winnipeg were to pursue an aquarium, I guess the spot that would make the most sense, would be the west side of the zoo where there appears to be quite a bit of space.
Combine the waterpark with the aquarium for an adventure you’ll never forget!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 2:25 PM

Just how common are big waterparks in Canada anyway? Everyone knows about the big one at WEM, but after that I'm hard pressed to think of anything even remotely close in scale... I think there's a Great Wolf Lodge hotel with a fairly large waterpark in Niagara Falls, but then after that I think it drops off fast to municipal pools with a waterslide or two.

Kind of makes me wonder how Triple 5 pulled off such a gargantuan beast in Edmonton that is still in business all these years later, yet no one else has duplicated the feat anywhere else in Canada.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:09 AM

An large aquarium in Winnipeg would be atrocious. It's well documented that large aquatic animals become depressed, unpredictable, and violent in confined quarters – they need miles and miles of free range to live proper lives. Aquariums are closing in faster numbers than they're opening, and for good reason. Opening one here is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in years.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:48 AM
Create and Conquer

Quick question, how close can you currently get to the construction site? Me and my girlfriend would love to check it out up close if the site is still accessible

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
An large aquarium in Winnipeg would be atrocious. It's well documented that large aquatic animals become depressed, unpredictable, and violent in confined quarters – they need miles and miles of free range to live proper lives. Aquariums are closing in faster numbers than they're opening, and for good reason. Opening one here is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in years.
I think an aquarium would be awesome... doesn’t need to have large marine animals like dolphins and whales. There’s all kinds of beautiful creatures and plants out there that people should get to see so they can understand and learn about the oceans and lakes and rivers... would be nice to see something that explains and explores some of the biodiversity in our own lakes and rivers. People need to see things with their own eyes so they can connect with it. When something exists in front of you it becomes a personal experience. I think if people had more knowledge and experience with the organisms that exist around them they’d care a little bit more about the planet.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:

How about something interactive that has something to do with the province's growing film and computer graphics industry?

Perhaps it could be a showcase for how movies are developed behind the scenes? Show how FX are developed, give visitors a chance to act a scene or do a screen test? Maybe wear a motion capture suit? (Okay I just realized this sounds like the episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to pee wearing the motto capture dog suit....h well, I still like the idea).

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I think an aquarium would be awesome... doesn’t need to have large marine animals like dolphins and whales. There’s all kinds of beautiful creatures and plants out there that people should get to see so they can understand and learn about the oceans and lakes and rivers... would be nice to see something that explains and explores some of the biodiversity in our own lakes and rivers. People need to see things with their own eyes so they can connect with it. When something exists in front of you it becomes a personal experience. I think if people had more knowledge and experience with the organisms that exist around them they’d care a little bit more about the planet.
If there was a good chance of profitability the private sector would build an aquarium and a waterpark. That's the problem with these types of projects, they always need state support, whether it's direct contribution for the build, operating grants or loan guarantees. For a stadium or an arena there is a tangible economic benefit in terms of urban renewal or a catalyst for other development, but for an aquarium or a waterpark, probably not, esp. in a city that does not receive a large number of out of town visitors. The waterpark in Edmonton was built to act as a draw for West Edmonton Mall, which is struggling (as are a huge number of malls in North America). It's also $50 per person, and with rising water and energy costs it's not a good proposition. I would rather resources be invested in improving our existing beaches and parks.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:31 PM
BANNED

I'd much rather see the city develop better connections and access to our rivers before any sort of massive specialty project. we should have outdoor swimming areas, beaches, watercraft rentals, cycling paths, skate rentals, etc all along our water ways. the waterfront freeway proposal is the one I'd like to see most. would actually be transformative for the city.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'd much rather see the city develop better connections and access to our rivers before any sort of massive specialty project. we should have outdoor swimming areas, beaches, watercraft rentals, cycling paths, skate rentals, etc all along our water ways. the waterfront freeway proposal is the one I'd like to see most. would actually be transformative for the city.
You mean the thing that has a paved path and benches down near the water that I posted not long ago? Agreed. If ever there were a splurge project funded by the public purse, it would be that. Spend the money and do it right. Same with transit but that's a different topic lol
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:46 PM
BANNED

https://davidpennerarchitect.ca/#/wwf2050/

from davidpennerarchitect.ca

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:50 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
The rivers in Winnipeg are not suited for this. Swimming is a no go, there are serious health concerns with the amount of bacteria in the rivers. Any beaches would have to be dug up and replaced every year due to the high silt content during any high water periods.

Canoe, kayak and sailboat rentals were all tried at the Forks.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:51 PM

^ What is the source of the bacteria, Riverman? Is it mainly sewage outflows and ag-related?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:52 PM

With such fluctuations in the waterways we’ll never see anything like that this close to water anyhow.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan