HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 7:15 PM

Also, SW Porter slopes up from Moody in order for the approach to the Tilikum Crossing to be high enough. If SW Meade didn't slope up then the pedestrian accessway at the east of the CLSB would need to slope down at an angle that would be way too steep.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:41 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBeav View Post
To avoid having to deal with the contaminated soil, CLSB was built on a foundation of foam blocks (if I'm remembering correctly). That caused the increased elevation. I assume they'll be doing something similar for the Knight Cancer Center?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Also, SW Porter slopes up from Moody in order for the approach to the Tilikum Crossing to be high enough. If SW Meade didn't slope up then the pedestrian accessway at the east of the CLSB would need to slope down at an angle that would be way too steep.
Ah, that makes sense, I had a feeling there was an answer for this, I just thought it was odd for a man made road to be sloped like that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:42 AM

Drawings [PDF - 226 MB] for the Knight Cancer Research Building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 12:34 AM

A shot of blocks 28 and 29 taken this weekend.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:55 AM

Staff Report [PDF] and Memo [PDF] to the Design Commission for the OHSU KCRB.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:18 PM

Vancouver couple donates $12 million for OHSU patient housing
By Lynne Terry | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on April 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM, updated April 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...art_river_home
Quote:
A Vancouver couple is donating $12 million to lodge families and patients of Oregon Health & Science University.

The money, donated by Gary and Christine Rood, will go toward building five stories of guest housing on the South Waterfront that will provide temporary housing for patients and their families who have to travel long distances for care. The building, which is expected to house 3,000 people a year, will be named the Gary & Christine Rood Family Pavilion in their honor.

The donation was announced at a ground-breaking ceremony Tuesday.

...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:14 PM

Maybe they can use that $12 million to add a little character to the design...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:31 AM

Aerial shot from 5/1/2016

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:03 AM

If you can keep this up through the project, it would be a great perspective to see this from beginning to end.

Nice photos

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
If you can keep this up through the project, it would be a great perspective to see this from beginning to end.

Nice photos
Thank you! I will try to keep it going. I will likely take a picture every few weeks or if there is significant change. Time and weather permitting, of course!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 7:01 PM

Latest drawings [PDF - 244.8 MB] and Staff Report [PDF], which recommends approval, for the KCRB.

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 5, 2016 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 6:38 PM

Design Commission approved the KCRB yesterday.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:09 AM

Knight Cancer Research Building

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:53 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Am I missing something here? There must be a reason why the north side of the building looks this bad. Are they assuming something else will be built almost up against it? I can't imagine why they'd want that much blank concrete along the north side of the building.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:56 PM

^ yep, the second half of the 'block.' no timetable, but they will have shared facilities and inner courtyard.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Gov. Brown, Druker and Robertson don hard hats and shovels for cancer (Photos)

Oregon Health & Science University today broke ground on its new cancer research building, nearly a year after completing the $1 billion Knight Cancer Challenge.

The $160 million Knight Cancer Institute research building will sit just north of the Collaborative Life Sciences Building on Southwest Moody Avenue. The new building, to be completed in July 2018, will encompass 320,000 square feet and allow 600 researchers to come together in a sort of vertical campus.

The design incorporates all sorts of features to foster face-to-face encounters and collaboration, from the stairwells to the lab design.

A who’s who of state dignitaries was on hand today at the groundbreaking.

“Today is not just about building a building,” said Oregon Gov. Kate Brown. “This marks a new era in cancer medicine, discoveries and cures. In Oregon, we blaze trails.”

Last June, OHSU announced it had raised $500 million for cancer research, triggering an identical matching gift from Nike co-founder Phil Knight and his wife Penny.
...via the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 7:08 PM

Quote:
A day in the life of the OHSU core team

KCRB owner representatives design for the user

As concrete is pumped into steel racks beneath the site of what is to be the Knight Cancer Research Building, almost 70 people ride the aerial tram back and forth between the Oregon Health & Science University campus and the co-working location on the South Waterfront, collaborating on every detail of the build.

Acting owner of the Knight Cancer Research Building (KCRB), OHSU has instated a four-person core team to keep communication flowing during the building’s development.

The core team includes contractor Brian Price, architect Laurie Canup, engineer Ed Trotter and scientist Tiffani Howard. The four of them sit together in the co-working location down at the South Waterfront, accessible to each other and to the contractors and architects on-site.

“As a member of the core team, the four of us are really responsible for maintaining a very big-picture view of the whole project,” Howard said. “We are dependent upon our teams underneath us to keep the details in line, but we need to keep the big picture and make sure that everything remains cohesive.”
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 7:52 PM

Here is an update on the OHSU construction. This photo was taken from the south this time.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
McCarthy-Andersen joint venture pour foundation of KCRB

A day in the life of the contractors

The culture in the Knight Cancer Research Building’s co-location trailer is evolving as the development’s designs are fine-tuned and the focus shifts heavily to construction.

At the South Waterfront site, known for its innovations toward cancer research, to architecture and to workplace culture, builders poured the KCRB’s concrete foundation this week.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:32 AM

Aerial shot of Knight Cancer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland