HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 12:47 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
Owning the copyright doesn't give one the right to dictate how or where something is displayed, unless the work is somehow distorted, mutilated, or otherwise treated in a disparaging way (17 USC Section 106A). I don't think simply moving Portlandia to another location would need the artist's permission unless there is some contractual agreement with him that the statue would always be displayed along the bus mall at the Portland Building.
However, it would then be illegal to ever take a photograph of the Morrison Bridge...

Or, you would at least be at risk of being sued?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:47 AM

Quote:
James Beard market teams with Bon Appetit

Julia Child would approve.

Founders of the James Beard Public Market announced Thursday that they will be partnering with Bon Appétit Management Company to develop their teaching and demonstration kitchen.

The nonprofit market — set to break ground at the west end of the Morrison Bridge in 2016 — is planned as a year-round, indoor-outdoor market with up to 120 vendors selling fresh local foods and products, restaurants, event space and a teaching kitchen.

The public-private Market project is more than a decade in the works.

Palo Alto, Calif.-based Bon Appétit has a regional office in Portland, and already operates cafés for local businesses and institutions including Genentech, OMSI, the University of Portland and Reed College.
...continues at the Portland Tribune.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:06 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
set to break ground at the west end of the Morrison Bridge in 2016
Is that at all realistic? Have we seen anything beyond potential concepts and wishful thinking? I'd really like to see James Beard Market be a reality and I keep hoping the project picks up steam.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Is that at all realistic? Have we seen anything beyond potential concepts and wishful thinking? I'd really like to see James Beard Market be a reality and I keep hoping the project picks up steam.
I've wondered the same thing. One the one hand, they have an agreement with Multnomah County to buy the site, and are partnering with Melvin Mark on the development side. I'm sure neither of them would be going anywhere near the Public Market if they didn't think it was a serious proposition. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything to suggest that they're raising money at anywhere near the rate they need to be. I can't see how a few mushroom dinners at Higgins can get them the millions of dollars they need just to buy the site, let alone build and operate the thing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:51 AM

Damn. I guess im really wishing upon fantasy with this one. However, the talk of modifying the Morrison tower to look like the iconic one in NYC at the apex of branching streets... Im dreaming i think, but a tower there would be magnificent.

Knowing portland, itll be a box and fill a niche. Adequate and lauded but also underwhelming.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Damn. I guess im really wishing upon fantasy with this one. However, the talk of modifying the Morrison tower to look like the iconic one in NYC at the apex of branching streets
Yeah, that site seems like one of the most important sites in Portland to build something iconic. It slices Morrision in half and is a main entry to the city, not to mention it's unique footprint -- hopefully we can get this right! I'm sure you're spot-on and we'll get something pretty boring, but I'll definitely hope for something that raises the bar. Not sure what the height limit is there...but it should be raised.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:25 AM

"I'm sure you're spot-on and we'll get something pretty boring, but I'll definitely hope for something that raises the bar."

It's funny... It seems like nowhere else has higher aspirations, but in the US there are always powers that want to stump out the liberal city centers. It's great that Portland keeps going along, but I feel like the central plan gets neutered in large part a lot of the time. Vancouver is another key example of sprawl happening no matter what we do :/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The city really should get rid of those off ramps.
Considering that the Morrison Bridge is the main access point for Downtown to/from I-5 N and I-84 that's just not going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:52 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Considering that the Morrison Bridge is the main access point for Downtown to/from I-5 N and I-84 that's just not going to happen.
You are thinking about the east side of the bridge, I was talking about the west side of the bridge. I was referring to these off ramps.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:08 AM

I don't think it will happen, but the draft West Quadrant plan has the following Implementation Action:

Quote:
RC4: Working with Multnomah County, study the feasibility of removing or reconfiguring the ramps and approaches to the Morrison bridge to create more developable land parcels and improve multimodal connectivity to the river.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:40 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Apparently they've landed themselves an internationally acclaimed starchitect:

Famed Norwegian Architecture Firm Snøhetta Signs on to Design the James Beard Public Market

Quote:
The Oslo-based architecture firm will bring a global portfolio of complex urban projects to the long-delayed public market at the west end of the Morrison Bridge.

“Craig and his team think the site is great,” says Ron Paul, long-time leader of the Beard market initiative, of Dykers’ visit to the site while in Portland for a lecture. “It was amazing to watch them interact with the space. They were all over it taking photographs and asking great questions.”
According to the article, they will be unveiling their proposal next March.

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/st...-november-2014

Portfolio: http://snohetta.com/projects

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:56 PM

Holy shit, that came out of nowhere. Snøhetta do pretty amazing work, and as Gragg notes, some of their best work has been when they've had a really complex site to work with.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Apparently they've landed themselves an internationally acclaimed starchitect:

Famed Norwegian Architecture Firm Snøhetta Signs on to Design the James Beard Public Market

According to the article, they will be unveiling their proposal next March.

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/st...-november-2014

Portfolio: http://snohetta.com/projects
This is either the greatest April Fools joke pulled on this site or this is going to be one of the best architecture structures in downtown.

I am so wanting to go ape s**t excited about this news, but at the same time I can't believe that I am actually reading this and still think this has to be fake news.

This really makes me hope that those two ramps get removed so that it gives them even more room to work with to do something just amazing. Also, would this mean that they would also be designing the 17 story building to go along with this market?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:26 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Jaw. Drop.

...wow! Oh, March, why must you be four months away?!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Jaw. Drop.

...wow! Oh, March, why must you be four months away?!
Because they needed to pick a date after April 1st so they can say

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:25 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Dude, its November right now. No April Fool's. Its Legit.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
You are thinking about the east side of the bridge, I was talking about the west side of the bridge. I was referring to these off ramps.

No matter how great the architect is, if you leave the west side ramps, access to the market will be blocked on three of the four sides. The ramps were built in an age when the car was king, removing them should not impact traffic much and open up development of those two blocks. Plus it might help create development opportunities of the adjacent surface level lots.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:58 PM

All i can say is that the Norwegians have a suburban style that aims for large squares-- i think this site needs density more than open spaces. I really hope we don't get some crappy modern art strewn across a square with a three story "center piece" that's supposed to look like a bjork dress.

I guess im pessimistic. I know bjork is icelandic

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:54 PM

Well, I know what I'm doing December 13th. From the JBPM blog:

Quote:
December 13: Community Open House

Enjoy a taste of the Market!

Saturday, December 13, 2014
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
OMSI: 1945 SE Water Ave., Portland

• Learn about the Market and meet the Design Team
  • Share Your ideas and inspirations
  • Influence the Market’s design
  • Sample delicious dishes created from the bounty of Oregon producers
  • Join in on the fun at the cookie decorating station
  • All ages welcome – bring the kids
  • Free event!

Drop in to OMSI anytime between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 13th to join in the festivities. Mayor Charlie Hales, the Market’s non-profit foundation, and architects will give a brief presentation at 2:30 PM. Please tell us you’re coming: [link to event page with link to web form].

This free-to-the-public event is the culmination of a multi-day Design Forum where our design team will engage with community leaders, project partners and hundreds of other stakeholders. Learn more about the Design Forum here.

It takes a place to make a community, and a community to make a place.
The way our communities are built today has become so institutionalized that community stakeholders seldom have a chance to voice ideas and aspirations about the places they inhabit. The James Beard Public Market Design Forum will break through this by having the project design team engage the community in placemaking, even before design begins. A broad cross section of the region will influence decision-making about the design form and experience of the Market.

A great public space cannot be measured simply by physical attributes. Community and stakeholder involvement is essential. An effective placemaking process capitalizes on a local community’s assets, inspiration, and potential, ultimately creating good public spaces that promote people’s health, happiness, and well-being. Placemaking strengthens the connection between people and the places they share. It is both an overarching idea and a hands-on tool for improving a space. This process is essential—even sacred—to people who truly care about the places in their lives.*

Thank you to our sponsors:
Ziba, Hotel Rose, OMSI, Bon Appétit Management Company, Kitchen Cru Affiliates, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Kevin Craig, and Duane and Eunice Bietz

For more information contact lori@jamesbeardmarket.com or call (503) 208-2071.

* Placemaking resource: Project for Public Spaces, www.pps.org

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
No matter how great the architect is, if you leave the west side ramps, access to the market will be blocked on three of the four sides. The ramps were built in an age when the car was king, removing them should not impact traffic much and open up development of those two blocks. Plus it might help create development opportunities of the adjacent surface level lots.

The car is still king. And it's not even close

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland