HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:54 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post

It's looking great!

I love the architectural elements they decided to add that weren't on the render - a pleasant surprise!

Not sure what is going on on the side of the cornice at the top though on the side of the building.. did they forget to paint it..?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:02 PM
Hammer'd

damn that is looking good.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:17 AM
Ham-burgher

Awesome. The whole spread from these buildings on over to Willy T.

The sun shining on the building at the corner of King and James really highlights how sad it still is that one quarter of the city's "prime" intersection is home to a cash-for-gold store and a cell phone repair shop (never mind the convenience store right on the corner, out of frame)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:55 AM

Love it.

The bit on top - this is how I imagined the Connaught penthouse looking.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:01 AM

They were installing copper flashing along various parts of the facade today. Still super bright but it should look nice when it patinas.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Awesome. The whole spread from these buildings on over to Willy T.

The sun shining on the building at the corner of King and James really highlights how sad it still is that one quarter of the city's "prime" intersection is home to a cash-for-gold store and a cell phone repair shop (never mind the convenience store right on the corner, out of frame)
I agree with you on this. That's why I'm so underwhelmed by Popeye's Chicken on King east of James. Ground zero downtown is still meh.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:09 AM
Hamilton Historian

Now that they have restored this building the building to the right of it just looks kinda shabby - put a cornice back on it too!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:28 AM

^^^^ I think King and James is a bit more deserved of increased density than the existing 3 storey stucco box. not much of a floor plate though

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:52 AM
Forever forward.

I agree with King&James...

As nice as restorations are, especially by CoreUrban, our most major intersection deserves a landmark tower.

Imagine if these were replaced by a beautiful slender tower:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:56 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I'd prefer, if it were to occur, a redevelopment of the beige or stucco cladded buildings....but even then, it's not much space for a new tower.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:24 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I'd prefer, if it were to occur, a redevelopment of the beige or stucco cladded buildings....but even then, it's not much space for a new tower.
Indeed... it would be better if someone were to also purchase the four buildings next to my previous highlight, but since the building directly next to my highlight was renovated and restored, it's less likely to be redeveloped. Also, I can't think Popeye's would be too happy if their new location was proposed to be redeveloped right after they've moved in.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Indeed...Also, I can't think Popeye's would be too happy if their new location was proposed to be redeveloped right after they've moved in.
Unless they own the building, too bad. They'll get a very big payout from the landlord.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:12 AM
Hamilton Historian

they won't redevelop the granada as that part is actually part of the building to the right - it's just had its facade covered up - and that's one big long beautiful stone building.

I'd rather see the other 2/3rds of that building on the left restored.

I also don't believe in knocking down all our stone buildings - I've been to places where it's all steel and glass, and when it's all steel and glass nothing really stands out and it just lacks character and soul imo.

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:20 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
they won't redeveloip the granada as that part is actually part of the building to the right - it's just had its facade covered up - and that's one big long beautiful stone building.

I also don't believe in knocking down all our stone buildings - I've been to places where it's all steel and glass, and when it's all steel and glass nothing really stands out and it just lacks character and soul imo.
I agree. I'm not sure of what that corner of beige-cladded buildings contains with respects to their initial designs/materials, but I'm sure it would look good.....although damaged by the reclad it had. As someone who's not familiar with the area too well...a midrise would earnestly be a much better outcome on that corner, although I'd be fine with a restoration/rejuvenation to make those buildings fit in moreso….and look less dumpy.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
The original exterior can be seen at the 2:16 mark of this video from the '40s about Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
The original exterior can be seen at the 2:16 mark of this video from the '40s about Hamilton.
That's a GREAT historical video

And yeah the granada facade is still intact underneath the sign thank god. You can see it where the "tamblyn" sign is in this image back when the building was woolworths - that part of the buildings design was always slightly different from the rest:

And here is what the original building looked like on the corner - apologies for the small size - the building across from it where jackson sits now was of a similar build:

here's an area that no longer exists - I believe it's the strip where the bank is at now:

and another shot from 1862 at the edge of gore park - little known fact - the original design of gore par k was meant to be of twin fountains mirrored on both sides, kind of like a bow tie design - but the other side never truly materialized in the end. There are some shots that do show the second fountain though. The second image below vaguely does.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
I can't think Popeye's would be too happy if their new location was proposed to be redeveloped right after they've moved in.
They’re probably safe, because it was redeveloped right *before* they moved in.

Hamilton Spectator, Paul Wilson, March 27 2018:

Quote:
If we walk around the corner to No. 11 King Street East, we are standing in front of what used to be Herbert S. Mills China. The ghost sign advertising Mills, which goes back to the 1920s, is still visible on the brick wall.

And it turns out that five-storey No. 11 King, part of the long-ago Mills retailing empire, is attached to the rear of five-storey No. 14 James.

That connection was sealed long ago. Mills China closed in 1985. In recent years, it had been home to an urban-style clothing store. The upper floors were empty, just bare shelving that once held the finest china, to be shipped across the continent.

The clothing store owners were looking to sell. A deal was done with Core Urban. And the common wall at the rear of both No. 11 King and No. 14 James came tumbling down.

That creates four L-shaped office spaces, each 4,700 square feet. At one end, they have windows that look out on James. At the other end, the view is Gore Park. The old brick is still there, and original wood floors.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:58 PM
Forever forward.

The sidewalk is open again, and the building looks incredible at street level! My photos:

Only strange part is this beam sticking straight out from the facade:

Last edited by lachlanholmes; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 10:12 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Absolutely gorgeous job they done on this building! I bet the beam will have something to do with Hamilton being a steel town and maybe hang a sign on it!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The sidewalk is open again, and the building looks incredible at street level! My photos:
None of your pictures are coming through for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton