HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:28 PM

Well... the NDP's position on the new Port Mann Bridge? :

1. "Wrong bridge, wrong plan, we need transit"

2. "A colossal waste of taxpayers' money”

A leopard never changes its spots.

Also interesting to note that the only other Metro Vancouver crossings that have more traffic volume/lane than the Massey Tunnel are the Port Mann Bridge and the Knight Street Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:58 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Well... the NDP's position on the new Port Mann Bridge? :

1. "Wrong bridge, wrong plan, we need transit"

2. "A colossal waste of taxpayers' money”

A leopard never changes its spots.

Also interesting to note that the only other Metro Vancouver crossings that have more traffic volume/lane than the Massey Tunnel are the Port Mann Bridge and the Knight Street Bridge.
The opposition of any government always opposes whatever the current government proposes. That's how they can maintain the illusion that they're somehow better or would do things differently.

Reality dictates that they're all quite similar and aside from a few little things would do things exactly the same.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:59 PM

NDP says that discounted tolling is a joke, instead we need regional tolling across all roads... LOL do these guys want to get elected or not?

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...n-tolls-a-ploy

Funny here's another quote of Carole James flip flopping on support of the PMB, done by The Georgia Straight, that is mysteriously no longer available. From google: "B.C. NDP Leader Carole James has reversed her stance on the controversial Port Mann Bridge issue." from a Feb 2009 article...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Bains' initial reaction to the announcement said that the Massey Tunnel replacement wouldn't even make his top 5 improvements (or something to that effect).

Textbook flip-flop.

Well I would put the Broadway line, Surrey skytrain extension and Patullo bridge ahead of the Masey tunnel. That isn't even including any other projects that might be needed outside of the Metro Vancouver area. So it could easily be out of the top 5 needed transportation improvements.

I'm not saying it isn't needed. But there are other priorities.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Well I would put the Broadway line, Surrey skytrain extension and Patullo bridge ahead of the Masey tunnel. That isn't even including any other projects that might be needed outside of the Metro Vancouver area. So it could easily be out of the top 5 needed transportation improvements.

I'm not saying it isn't needed. But there are other priorities.
For me Broadway extension is #1

But then Massey Tunnel and Surrey Skytrain / LRT are a 2nd place tie. Honestly, with the potential transit improvements rapid buses can give Surrey and Langley (largely via highway 1), and their lack of progress until recently around their existing skytrain stations, I don't know why the south of the river extensions are so imperative. I am not against them though.

Patullo has dropped off my radar. New West is going to be (and has been) a pain every step of the way, let them enjoy their antique bridge and horrid traffic congestion on their local streets.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 9:29 PM

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/Tr...741/story.html

Quote:
Truck traffic through tunnel could triple

By Alan Campbell, Richmond NEWSFebruary 21, 2013 11:52 AM

The City of Richmond is raising a red flag over projections that southbound truck traffic through the Massey Tunnel could spike by 50 per cent by 2014 and triple by 2030.

Concerns were aired this week that the planned Delta Port expansion at Roberts Bank and the proposed giant shopping mall on Tsawwassen First Nations land could bring even more traffic congestion problems to the tunnel, eventually spilling onto local roads.

The prospect of a completely new crossing, as currently being probed by the provincial government, would further reduce the forecasted snare going in and out of Richmond via the tunnel.

However, the city once again reiterated its opposition to one of the preferred options to the replace the tunnel — a crossing in East Richmond, in particular one near No. 8 Road.

Barnes added that such a crossing would fly directly in the face of the city’s Official Community Plan and would result in a further loss of agricultural land.
Read more: http://www.richmond-news.com/news/Co...#ixzz2LZUP1O2o

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The prospect of a completely new crossing, as currently being probed by the provincial government, would further reduce the forecasted snare going in and out of Richmond via the tunnel.

However, the city once again reiterated its opposition to one of the preferred options to the replace the tunnel — a crossing in East Richmond, in particular one near No. 8 Road.

Barnes added that such a crossing would fly directly in the face of the city’s Official Community Plan and would result in a further loss of agricultural land.
Is an 8 road crossing really a "preferred" option? The backgrounder available online specifically discounts that option as possibly no longer relevant.

The city of Richmond decided to widen Westminster highway in Hamilton not once, but now twice. They allowed the gigantic Hamilton Business park to be built and expanded upon. They also decided to allow cookie-cutter townhouse sprawl development in Hamilton as well. I am not opposed on the face of it to any of these things, but to bemoan the loss of agricultural land seems pretty rich.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 10:57 PM

Page 16 of the discussion guide simply states that the reports conclusions may no longer be applicable - but it says that as a generic disclsimer for each of the older reports (1991 and 1995).

Perhaps there have been discussions with the City of Richmond regarding a new 72nd Street / No. 8 Road crossing?

No. 8 is mentioned in this article too:

Quote:
“A mega-bridge is on its way, either at Steveston Highway or at No. 8 Road,” said Coun. Harold Steves. “Either one of them is deadly, because it will destroy the agricultural capability on both sides of the river.”
http://www.richmondreview.com/news/172379011.html

Also found this:

Quote:

The new South Fraser Perimeter Road could have a short connection from the new Tilbury connection to the Nelson Road overpass in Richmond and then to Boundary Road in Vancouver.
http://www.richmondreview.com/opinio...186195871.html

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
For me Broadway extension is #1

But then Massey Tunnel and Surrey Skytrain / LRT are a 2nd place tie. Honestly, with the potential transit improvements rapid buses can give Surrey and Langley (largely via highway 1), and their lack of progress until recently around their existing skytrain stations, I don't know why the south of the river extensions are so imperative. I am not against them though.

Patullo has dropped off my radar. New West is going to be (and has been) a pain every step of the way, let them enjoy their antique bridge and horrid traffic congestion on their local streets.
I'd agree with you but would differ in that I'd have Broadway and Surrey as 1A and 1B because they are needed for very different reasons. Broadway is need for immediate demand though that stretch isn't really growing hugely. Surrey is needed in order to encourage future smart growth so we don't 15 years in the future find ourselves behind the 8 ball. Surrey Skytrain/LRT won't have nearly the ridership of a Broadway line but priorities can't entirely be made imo just based on ridership.

If it were, then quite frankly Millennium shouldn't have been built and I'd argue Evergreen should have waited even longer.

Still though I agree with you in that the tunnel is lower down on the list. It can be HORRIBLE though on days. I work quite close to the tunnel and while I don't get affected by it as I enter around HWY 17 and exit more often than not, you'd be amazed how far back it can line up.

And it is random to. 1 day you can fly straight through to Richmond in 3 minutes flat with no traffic at 5pm. Other days you can see it lined up all lanes including the HOV to the dump curve which translated to about 1 full hour to get through that 3 minute stretch.

And the fact that with 3 full lanes as counter-flow, the other direction out of Vancouver at the end of rush hour can extend all the way to Oak Street is telling.

What the problem with our road infrastructure is though in Metro-Vancouver is that we don't have any plans for spike capacity. In the IT world when you plan for capacity you have to take into account spikes. While you don't design for example IO bandwidth to constantly run at spike levels, your system has to be able to handle them without faltering.

When it comes to road infrastructure, you're almost guaranteed an accident per day on a major route to and from Metro Vancouver. Depending on what that major route is, some of our spike handling is poor if not non-existent and that's where you run into trouble.

Major accident on the EW Connector or Alex Fraser bridge, and the Tunnel is lined up to Whistler. Major accident at KGB and the Serpentine river and the Alex Fraser and HWY 10 are lined up to Seattle and Hope. Major accident on HWY1 and good luck getting out of Vancouver in less than 2 hours.

That's our big issue and that's where you do need a bit more than absolutely required capacity on routes. So if you run 75% capacity with 2 lanes of traffic during the regular day, you're way over capacity imo because you can't handle any spikes at all not even a slow driver in the fast lane.

You see it in Surrey too. If there is anything major happening on KGB for example or Fraser Highway, you're going to take decades trying to get around because you have quite frankly 1 or 2 alternatives if that and they're all 1 lane roads.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Page 16 of the discussion guide simply states that the reports conclusions may no longer be applicable - but it says that as a generic disclsimer for each of the older reports (1991 and 1995).

Perhaps there have been discussions with the City of Richmond regarding a new 72nd Street / No. 8 Road crossing?

No. 8 is mentioned in this article too:

http://www.richmondreview.com/news/172379011.html

Also found this:

http://www.richmondreview.com/opinio...186195871.html
I don't actually see how this option would be better. On paper it is another crossing ok but along that stretch of the Fraser you need to build a massive bridge like the Alex Fraser so that container ships can clear under. So you're talking basically another Alex Fraser bridge at num 8 road. Along with that you would need a second bridge to get over to Boundary not to mention building an entirely new "freeway" connector.

I'd imagine this option would be largely more expensive than simply replacing the tunnel. For replacing the tunnel the freeway is already there you really just need to build a new bridge or punch in a new tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:01 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I don't actually see how this option would be better. On paper it is another crossing ok but along that stretch of the Fraser you need to build a massive bridge like the Alex Fraser so that container ships can clear under. So you're talking basically another Alex Fraser bridge at num 8 road. Along with that you would need a second bridge to get over to Boundary not to mention building an entirely new "freeway" connector.

I'd imagine this option would be largely more expensive than simply replacing the tunnel. For replacing the tunnel the freeway is already there you really just need to build a new bridge or punch in a new tunnel.
It's better because you cut down on trip km for people. Trips towards Boundary and Tilbury would be way more direct. The 2 bridge option wouldn't be much more expensive.

In 1991 MoTH commissioned a study on this and showed the following prices:

The 2 Bridges + Freeway to SFPR was estimated at $330.5M.
The 6-lane Massey was estimated at $174.5M.
The 8-lane Massey was estimated at $319.5M.

Keep in mind this would put both Oak St. and Knight St. way over capacity. It recommended the 2 bridge option as the best value.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
The 2 Bridges + Freeway to SFPR was estimated at $330.5M.
The 6-lane Massey was estimated at $174.5M.
The 8-lane Massey was estimated at $319.5M.

Keep in mind this would put both Oak St. and Knight St. way over capacity. It recommended the 2 bridge option as the best value.
So cheap. How much do you have to multiply each of these figures for today's prices? 5x-6x I'm guessing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:56 PM

My guess would be that a No. 8 Rd crossing and related Boundary Road bridge and freeway would also serve to solve the problem of creating a bottleneck at Oak Street Bridge if you just expand the tunnel.

It could be a means of bypassing the City of Vancouver's refusal to increase road capacity into the city if the Boundary Road bridge is built entirely on the Burnaby side and connects to Boundary.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 12:35 AM

I'm sure a Boundary Bridge+Freeway could be spun in such a way as to sell Vancouver City Council on the plan. e.g.

"You'll be able to shutdown one lane each direction on Granville and Oak (for bike lanes, and/or perhaps a boulevard of trees)"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:38 AM

I like the 2 bridge option (on No 8 Road) for the simple fact you can make the new bridge over the South Arm primarily truck only.

You could put up Treo tolling devices on all the crossings, and encourage trucks to use the new bridge and avoid the tunnel by charging trucks an exorbitant toll (like $100 in the tunnel) and a reasonable toll on the AFB (for trucks) and on the new bridge to pay for it. And as part of the project, upgrade the SFPR to full freeway to get trucks to and from the new crossing.

That would reduce congestion on the 2 other crossings (AFB and GMT) during peak times as all the slow accelerating trucks would be on their own bridge. And Richmond needs more bridges between itself and Vancouver/Burnaby no matter what happens (even with an expanded tunnel).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:56 PM

http://www.globaltvbc.com/metro+vanc...696/story.html

Metro Vancouver is joining individual municipalities in trying to tackle rising traffic volumes around the George Massey Tunnel as result of massive port expansion and residential and commercial developments.

A new Metro transportation committee, which meets for the first time next week, is expected to analyze potential traffic volumes arising from an expanded Deltaport, Surrey Fraser Docks and the border.

It is also expected to consider the impacts of major developments such as a proposed residential development at Southlands or a megamall at Tsawwassen First Nation.

A Delta staff report suggests the proposed mall development would be equivalent to “all three floors of Metrotown or six times larger than Richmond Centre,” and would result in an additional 700 vehicles daily heading through the George Massey Tunnel by 2031.

Delta Mayor Lois Jackson, vice-chair of the committee, said she would like to ensure that any new development in Metro is encompassed within a transportation plan.

“Regional connections must be made through the regional growth strategy,” she said. “When you’ve got those big containers coming off the trucks they could be heading any place in the Lower Mainland.”

Jackson argues TransLink, under legislation, is supposed to be looking at goods — as well as people — movement across the region but the transportation authority doesn’t appear to have a plan and “it has just been left to its own devices.”

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
My guess would be that a No. 8 Rd crossing and related Boundary Road bridge and freeway would also serve to solve the problem of creating a bottleneck at Oak Street Bridge if you just expand the tunnel.

It could be a means of bypassing the City of Vancouver's refusal to increase road capacity into the city if the Boundary Road bridge is built entirely on the Burnaby side and connects to Boundary.
I'm wondering what the CoV's power of refusal is, if the province said they were replacing the Oak with a six lane bridge that does not involve any more lanes on Oak. Northbound the bridge's curb lane would connect directly to a SW Marine EB exit and the loop to SW Marine WB and Soutbound the curb lane from Oak to SW Marine which goes past the Coast Hotel could be removed directly in favour of a third bridge lane.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
A Delta staff report suggests the proposed mall development would be equivalent to “all three floors of Metrotown or six times larger than Richmond Centre,” and would result in an additional 700 vehicles daily heading through the George Massey Tunnel by 2031.
Is that a mistake? Only 700 cars a day? That's it? That's a rounding error when you take into account the daily traffic count through the tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
...a megamall at Tsawwassen First Nation.

A Delta staff report suggests the proposed mall development would be equivalent to “all three floors of Metrotown or six times larger than Richmond Centre,”
Good grief. They've got to be crazy if they think a mall stuck way over in one rural corner of the region can attract as many customers as Metrotown, which is smack dab in the middle of everything with it's own Skytrain station.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Is that a mistake? Only 700 cars a day? That's it? That's a rounding error when you take into account the daily traffic count through the tunnel.
Keep in mind this is Metro Vancouver we're talking about here. The addition of 7 cars would probably be viewed as a major problem. They talk about the mall development as if they're constructing Disneyland down there. Logic and rationality left the scene at Metro Vancouver long ago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure