HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 1:18 PM

Does anybody have any indication as to when construction is going to start at the corner of Main and King? The article stated construction was imminent and was slated to start in the very near future. I would have expected to see shovels in the ground at this point but of course I don't know much about these things.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Patience Grasshopper......

Developers exist on a different temporal plane than us mere mortals. While "imminent" to you and me might mean "tomorrow", to a developer it means something like "within the next year".

Besides, if you read the Halifax threads, there are so many highrises being constructed down there that there is now a shortage of tower cranes. This might adversely affect the rest of us.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 1:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There was a variance request at the last meeting of the GMPDC for the southeast corner of the intersection of Gordon and Cameron to allow construction of a multiunit residential building. No additional information regarding the height and the style of this building.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:33 AM

City is looking for redevelopment of prime downtown land.

Quote:
Moncton eyes changes for 3 downtown spaces
City market, old fire hall and provincial jail properties must be redeveloped
CBC News
Posted: Jul 3, 2012 8:03 AM AT
Last Updated: Jul 3, 2012 8:00 AM AT

Jacques Dubé, Moncton's city manager, said three downtown properties should be redeveloped.Jacques Dubé, Moncton's city manager, said three downtown properties should be redeveloped. (CBC)

Moncton is hoping to redevelop three downtown properties that are being underused, according to the city’s manager.

Jacques Dubé says the market is used only on Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., an old fire hall in the area is being used to store grounds-keeping equipment and the old provincial jail is now empty.

Dubé said those three areas rest on valuable land in the city's downtown and they should be redeveloped.

“We have got to think a bit more strategically about how we are going to use our land and what will be included in those properties,” Dubé said.

“So maybe the Moncton market moves, maybe it moves to the waterfront, maybe build nice beautiful restaurants with cafe terraces overlooking the river on the green.”

The jail was left empty when the inmates were moved to a new facility in Scoudouc.

Part of the downtown redevelopment project is out of the city's hands. The jail is the province's property and it will have control over what is done with the facility.

But, Dubé said the provincial government will issue a request for proposals for the jail’s property that will specifically exclude using the land for another parking lot.

He said he hopes to see a joint project that would include the old fire hall on the riverbank.

“There are real development opportunities here we have to start thinking about there as a community as to what we want to make that jail look like, that old jail look like, get the barb wire off it and take that fire hall that's been sitting there for several years empty,” he said.

Moncton is actively looking to change the face of its downtown.

The city is also looking at adding a new downtown sports and entertainment complex where the Highfield Square Mall is now located.

The mall is scheduled to close by September and that will open up possibilities to revitalize the downtown area.

The city has the option to buy the land for $6 million and has until March to complete the deal.

Four architects have come up with conceptual plans for the downtown project, which all include a 10,000-seat arena and a convention centre, as well as a shopping centre, restaurants, condos and an outdoor space.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:28 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I had supper at the new Japanese restaurent at the corner of Main and Orange Ln. Great atmosphere, great food, and a great location for that type of place. As has been mentioned before, we're starting to build up a pretty solid and diverse group of eateries in the city - especially downtown!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:01 PM

The Harper Building MISTAKE

Is anyone else disgusted by the proposed Harper Building?

Is there any hope of the plans changing?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 7:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Disgusted - no, disappointed - perhaps a little, especially when you compare the current rendering to some of the avant garde renderings that originally accompanied this project.

I'm sure certain financial realities got in the way of some of the more extravagant concept drawings, and this development will still revolutionize the east end of Main St, so I'm personally willing to give the developer a good deal of slack here.

A 10 storey building on this site will still help to define the eastern entrance to the downtown core.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Transportation Discovery Centre at the Moncton Museum - current status:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Disgusted - no, disappointed - perhaps a little, especially when you compare the current rendering to some of the avant garde renderings that originally accompanied this project.
Where's the current rendering?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Where's the current rendering?
This is it:

I would describe the Harper Building as perfectly seviceable and functional, uninspiring but inoffensive. At 10 stories though, it will provide welcome density to the east end of Main St, and, combined with the Chateau Moncton across the street, will define the eastern entrance to the downtown core.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 8:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Flanders Court Construction Update:

New Campus of Oultons College

New Apartment Building Across the Street

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
This is it:

Ok, thanks I had seen that a while ago. Whew. I thought it may have been downgraded even further!

BTW Oulton's looks great! Any word on what will become of the old one?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Red face

I wonder if the old campus won't be incorporated in some way into this development:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the old campus won't be incorporated in some way into this development:
That's what I was wondering. They're talking about the Rogers parking lot, along with the "prison" and fire station, as being valued land, but don't mention the Oulton's lot. Unless it becomes Rogers NEW parking lot

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:31 AM
Our Tide is Rising

The larger of the white buildings on Lorentz Ave (off west main next to McDonalds) is now undergoing a much needed facelift.

I asked a worker and he said they will be very thorough, replacing the balconies, windows and even (thank God) the bricks. Anything would be a major improvement over their current state!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Say hello to downtown Moncton's newest denizen:

The Northrop Frye statue in front of the Moncton Public Library.

This is the 100th anniversary of Frye's birth. A college professor from North Carolina has donated his entire collection of Frye memorabilia, including his collected works to the Moncton Library. If I recall, his collection is worth over $20,000. Apparently he offered it to the University of Toronto, but they didn't get back to him.

Some people want to rename the public library to honour Frye. This might not be a bad idea......

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 12:17 PM

There is some work going on at the old Creek restaurant on Robinson St, just behind Rogers. On first look it seems as though it's going to be renovated, but I also noticed a backhoe off to the side. My guess is they are scrapping what they can before it gets torn down. My guess is this may be related to future development in the Rogers parking lot. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
There is some work going on at the old Creek restaurant on Robinson St, just behind Rogers. On first look it seems as though it's going to be renovated, but I also noticed a backhoe off to the side. My guess is they are scrapping what they can before it gets torn down. My guess is this may be related to future development in the Rogers parking lot. Thoughts?
It would make a lot of sense as it was suggested here before. You could fit quite a few cars behind rogers between the Market and the Creek. It's a small price to pay for the new future developments in the area!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The old Creek restaurant is now gone. My guess is that this will be the new Rogers parking lot, and once this is ready then they will proceed with the propsed mixed use development on Assomption at the site of the current Rogers parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:39 AM
Our Tide is Rising

- The historic building that houses Tim Hortons and Gogii Games on Main st is now undergoing a facelift...this is yet another addition to the list of high profile face-lifts on Main as of late

- Dominion Public Building
- 1234 Main (8 floor, old CN building)
- 28 Lorentz (8 floor white apartment building)
- 777 Main (7 floor, gov. of Canada offices)

- Fly London on Main has closed, however there is already a sign up showing a cafe will be opening there soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces