HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 6:12 PM

So is the business school going on the block directly across the park from Lincoln Hall where there are those two old apartment building and an old house? If the Rosefriends is any indication it seems if this is actually the site there will be a huge outcry from the conservationists.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 7:14 PM

Incredible stupid choice for the building. You already have a very positive asset on that block with abundant under utilized blocks all over the campus. This is going to end up damaging the PSU brand and wallets. Its a fight that should be totally avoidable. Who the hell makes these decisions at PSU? Students are going to go nuts once they realize what's going to get destroyed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Now that I think about it, this could be interpreted to mean the block across *Park* from Lincoln hall, which would put it on the block with the extended studies building and one of the dorms, the name of which I've forgotten - across Market from the South Park Square apts (where McMenamins is). That location makes more sense.

(The map in the article, though, indicated the location of the University Park condos)
You're right. It is going where the school of extended studies is.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 9:12 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Right, PSU needs dorms so badly, and now they're going to go and knock down around 50 or so? Awesome!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 10:26 PM

having spent some time nosing around the psu website - they used to have a bunch of pdf's with short-, medium- and long-term plans - this block has been marked for redevelopment for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 10:36 PM

It seems like PSU’s MO is to demolish the old apartment building peppered around campus. The torn down one to build a community garden of Montgomery and 12th and I remember taking a tour of the new dorm that is across the street from that garden and the women giving the tour who is involved with campus planning was talking about how they would like to knock down the old building on across from the new dorm on Montgomery and 12th (sorry I don’t know the names of any of these places.)

I know that we have already been over how it is actually cheaper to knock down old building then build on parking lots on this board, but this is Portland and it really seems like organizations like PSU should be looking at the greenest solution which is building on the underutilized lots before demolishing smaller character buildings that add vibrancy to the streetscape.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 11:57 PM

does anyone have pictures of that block?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:36 PM

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:34 PM
Well designed mixed use

I don't get it. With all the land they have to redevelop, why would they do this? Shame on them.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:50 PM

They need to start building up, five story building scattered around the city makes no sense. They need to start thinking more along the lines of the new OHSU campus tall and compact.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:45 AM

Thanks Cab, and to an extent I agree with you MOPIdaho, but this block doesn't need to come down right now. There are plenty of blocks on Broadway that are MUCH more appropriate to go first. Including some with their ugly concrete walkways.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:01 AM

aside from tearing that nice old apt bldg down, splitting the business school up into two buildings that far away from each other seems like a bad idea too.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 6:26 AM

I wonder if there is any way to put the brakes on this, or if it is already a done deal.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:09 PM

DJC has a rendering. Not very impressive building. THis is going to turn into a huge issue on campus. Stupid move by PSU which will cost us Tax payers.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...-intersection-

Business school design unveiled
Building at Park Avenue and Market Street would sit at intersection of business, sustainability

POSTED: 04:00 AM PDT Wednesday, July 23, 2008
BY LIBBY TUCKER

Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Architects unveiled its conceptual design last night for a new 100,000 square-foot business school at Portland State University.

Early plans call for a six- or seven-story “living building” to house the university’s School of Business Administration and a taller, privately owned office building next door to be located at Southwest Park Avenue and Market Street.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPIdaho View Post
They need to start building up, five story building scattered around the city makes no sense. They need to start thinking more along the lines of the new OHSU campus tall and compact.
PSU is way too cheap to do that.

They will milk those brick buildings until they crumble to the ground.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 8:04 PM
A before E

"The new buildings would replace two existing university-owned buildings – the 56-year-old School of Extended Studies and the 76-year-old student parkway Housing building."

I am actually for this project. I like the idea of having another building of this height along the parkblocks and I like the idea of an office tower behind it. I think it is a good move for the college and it is important for them to focus more of their attention to the park blocks. I do however think they should have a plan in place to replace the lost dorms and add more for the college.

Would be nice if they built a couple dorm towers over at 12 and Market. Two great lots that the school owns over there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:49 AM

The new building is only 2 stories larger then the existing apartments. Go check out the brick work on the proposed building to be demolished. Its very nice and would be missed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:34 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I think the larger issue is splitting the business college into two buildings that are almost a 1/4 mile apart from each other! That really makes no sense. Who is doing the planning for the college? Are they banking on completely moving the biz college to the new site, or just inconveniencing everyone and making them go between the two buildings?

Seems more of a play by the University to make the campus look prettier by putting nice buildings along the park blocks. However, I remember speaking to the planning director for the University several years ago, and he stated that it was their plan to shift the University's campus towards the urban plaza and the Unitus and art buildings where they own land - and are expanding their holdings.

Anyone know if those plans had changed?

On the other hand, most of the existing dorm buildings are pretty substandard as far as housing goes - I doubt few students would miss them, especially a measly two-story building that lacks any ground-floor usage. It can't even have that many dorm rooms in it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:27 AM

Way too much waaaaaaa going on here for my taste. Whatever, and get over yourselves, you bunch of know-it-all want-to-be urban planners/developers..

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:50 PM

aggression or sarcasm, its hard to tell without a

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland