HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
New tenant at the Global transportation hub in regina is investing a total of $75 million dollars. Full story at the link below.

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/t...047/story.html
One of their buildings

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
New tenant at the Global transportation hub in regina is investing a total of $75 million dollars. Full story at the link below.

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/t...047/story.html
"It's to be called the Trans-Link Logistics Centre, reflecting its ability to link several modes of transportation: Road, rail and, in a reference not heard in several years, air - as the development is near the Regina International Airport."

If the GTH was within taxiing distance for aircraft then I could see tremendous potential for cargo. I think GTH built to far from airport

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 12:49 AM

There website has also been updated, with a new site plan that shows current land for development as well as anticipated development and on hold development. Can also see the interchange design that was chosen as it is in the picture.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
There website has also been updated, with a new site plan that shows current land for development as well as anticipated development and on hold development. Can also see the interchange design that was chosen as it is in the picture.
The last I heard was that lands west of airport lands are to be for air cargo-related facilities. We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 4:46 PM

Seems kinda inefficient to have two interchanges that close to each other. They should have put a road in between the rail yard and loblaws.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Seems kinda inefficient to have two interchanges that close to each other. They should have put a road in between the rail yard and loblaws.
This is the best configuration, as it separated Truck traffic from General traffic. I travel (among with a lot of others) to and from Grand Coulee and Trucks take a lot of time to get going. So there is always issues. When the GTH comes into its own this set-up will be a god-send. THIS is one of the few times that the Saskatchewan Gov't is doing it RIGHT the first time. Instead of taking a "Wait and See" approach.

I can't wait to see it built, so that getting around will be efficient and safe. Already 3 deaths at Pinky and Dewdney since the GTH started. Not all from increased traffic, but that is already a startling amount in 3 years.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:01 AM

As mentioned elsewhere

http://www.saskpower.com/about-us/me...-grid-renewal/

"SaskPower will purchase approximately 145 acres of land from the Global Transportation Hub Authority at an estimated cost of $25 million. The cost of purchasing the land is included in SaskPower’s 2013 capital budget.

Preliminary plans for the Logistics Warehouse Complex will consist of: a three-story, approximately 221,000 square foot building for nearly 1,100 employees; approximately 273,000 square feet of industrial buildings housing shops, warehouses, storage and maintenance areas; as well as parking for employee and visitor vehicles. Planning and design considerations will start to take place early in 2014. Construction is expected to begin in October 2015. The complex is scheduled for completion in 2018.
"

This is interesting. I would not think at first glance that there would be any advantage to Saskpower being located at the GTH as opposed to another industrial area of the city. What logistics do they have that involve transporting large amounts of stock?? Lots of power poles and transformers and other assorted electrical bits that I would think are stockpiled/warehoused as opposed to being shipped and installed just in time. Lots of service vehicles coming and going - not necessarily multi unit tractor trailer units (aka big ass trucks). Why is it a good idea for Saskpower to chew up 145 acres intended for operations that are reliant on distribution, high turnover, large trucks, etc.? It isn't immediately obvious to me. Excuse my ignorance of what the GTH is ultimately for vs. any other vacant 145 acres? Or is "vacant 145 acres" the key part?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
As mentioned elsewhere

http://www.saskpower.com/about-us/me...-grid-renewal/

"SaskPower will purchase approximately 145 acres of land from the Global Transportation Hub Authority at an estimated cost of $25 million. The cost of purchasing the land is included in SaskPower’s 2013 capital budget.

Preliminary plans for the Logistics Warehouse Complex will consist of: a three-story, approximately 221,000 square foot building for nearly 1,100 employees; approximately 273,000 square feet of industrial buildings housing shops, warehouses, storage and maintenance areas; as well as parking for employee and visitor vehicles. Planning and design considerations will start to take place early in 2014. Construction is expected to begin in October 2015. The complex is scheduled for completion in 2018."

This is interesting. I would not think at first glance that there would be any advantage to Saskpower being located at the GTH as opposed to another industrial area of the city. What logistics do they have that involve transporting large amounts of stock?? Lots of power poles and transformers and other assorted electrical bits that I would think are stockpiled/warehoused as opposed to being shipped and installed just in time. Lots of service vehicles coming and going - not necessarily multi unit tractor trailer units (aka big ass trucks). Why is it a good idea for Saskpower to chew up 145 acres intended for operations that are reliant on distribution, high turnover, large trucks, etc.? It isn't immediately obvious to me. Excuse my ignorance of what the GTH is ultimately for vs. any other vacant 145 acres? Or is "vacant 145 acres" the key part?
There is plenty of vacant land around Regina. There is very little that is serviced.

SaskPower has nearly 2 whole City blocks at 5th and Cornwall.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:46 AM

If there are only a few more proposals of this magnitude for the GTH, then there will be a sudden requirement of additional real estate. Good news though!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 AM

-

Last edited by thefourthtower; Dec 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:05 PM

I hear the SLGA Warehouse project should be starting shortly after some more site prep is finished.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:42 PM

It'd be awesome if there was a site plan somewhere of where all the current buildings are and where the future buildings are going. Similar to the site plan on Grasslands' website (in Harbour Landing).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM

There is this, which has been updated from there website, shows parcels for construction and areas that could be future construction.

Last edited by Dougler306; Dec 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM. Reason: pic not uploading

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:11 PM

^Thanks for posting! They definitely have updated their site, as last time i'd looked there wasn't anything near as detailed. Nice to see the future west bypass indicated as well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:45 PM

Anyone on here know the status of the Yanke development at the GTH since the company was sold to Celadon? My understanding was that Celedon was going to take over the operations of their existing facilities (other than head office, which was being shut down) but I don't know if they were going to be continuing with new ventures such as their facility at the GTH.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:05 PM

Where will the new SaskPower facility be located? I assume it will be in the NW corner as they do not need to be near the railway.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Where will the new SaskPower facility be located? I assume it will be in the NW corner as they do not need to be near the railway.
It looks as its on the top map as shown that was posted

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
It looks as its on the top map as shown that was posted
That's the substation - nothing to do with the recent SaskPower announcement.
The substation is not inside the borders of the GTH.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
That's the substation - nothing to do with the recent SaskPower announcement.
The substation is not inside the borders of the GTH.
...and the SaskPower land area is many times that size..

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 PM

Yanke was sold?!? That explains why that hasn't been built yet.

I don't see the Morguard Development on that map? The grade beams on this project should be almost complete by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan