HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 8:08 PM

There was a nice article in Metro today about Kings Wharf but I cannot find it online for some reason. It showed the two renderings we have seen, although the one with the 10 storey buildings is bigger and shows the full extent of 2 of the buildings. It looks quite nice. The article is mostly just Tim Olive going on about how it will revatalize downtown Dartmouth and that it will be startgint very very soon.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 10:20 PM

They started tearing down another building today. It is the one closest to Alderney with the big poster on it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:59 PM

Looks like the launch date on Kings Wharf is set for October 15th according to AllNovaScotia.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:34 PM

Despite the former ass-backwards approval process, which has resulted in (permanent?) delays to project's like the UG towers, and the major effect of the economic downturn, affecting projects like the salter street block (plus the old app. process). This is by far the busiest the development scene has been since I relocated to Hali in may 03. And that is just with the two Dal building's, Trillium, NSP Headquarters and the new farmers market

if Hollis and Morris, and kings wharf start more than just site prep before christmas

then I must say,

the list is fairly impressive

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:06 AM

Walked by the site today. The sales centre is coming along. They now have a nice garden planted around it.
The building that was closest to the road is now completely gone. And they have started infilling the small indent in the site that was located behind this building.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:18 PM

News letter out today regarding the grand opening of the sales centre on the 16th. And after the 16th the sales centre hours will be Monday and Friday 9-5, Tuesday - Thursday 9-7, and 11-4 on the weekends.
They also said the expected opening of the first building is June 2012.
I pulled these off the newsletter.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:42 PM

Looks good. The King Street water main was just replaced and upgraded to a 12" diameter pipe apparently to handle the future demand.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 2:41 PM
we built this city

Great post... I love the second shot.

Very Rotterdam.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 7:16 PM

Wow very nice! I love the random moon over the South-End.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Wow very nice! I love the random moon over the South-End.
I thought that was the red light from the balconies on Hollis St. Maybe I'm wrong. JET

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:24 PM

anyone notice that, well at least to my eyes, fenwick towers is not in the renderings?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
anyone notice that, well at least to my eyes, fenwick towers is not in the renderings?
Lets just say its hiding behind Maritime Centre

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:07 AM
we built this city

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

King’s Wharf development will transform waterfront
Project to be built in Dartmouth Cove
By TOM PETERS Business Reporter
Wed. Oct 14 - 4:46 AM

Construction on King’s Wharf, a major residential/commercial development on the Dartmouth waterfront, is expected to get underway by the end of the year. A striking feature of this multi-phase development of Fares Real Estate Inc., is a 30-storey tower, depicted in this rendering.

The much-anticipated multimillion-dollar King’s Wharf project slated for the Dartmouth waterfront will get an official unveiling this week.

Developer Francis Fares, owner of Fares Real Estate Inc., said Tuesday he hopes work on the first phase of the project will get underway before the end of the year.

The economic spinoffs of the project, located in Dartmouth Cove on the site of the former Dartmouth Marine Slips, will be significant.

King’s Wharf, which will be developed in phases, will have a construction cost of $300 million over five years, create nearly 700 jobs each year during construction with nearly $25 million in annual wages, and create $20 million worth of commercial space that will generate about $1 million in annual commercial property tax. The residential portion will generate about $4 million annually in property tax.

The project will have 1,293 condominiums, a 200-room hotel and convention centre, hotel condo suites, 100,000 square feet of mixed retail space and 40,000 square feet of commercial space.

Mr. Fares says he feels his development design will be new to the area.

"It’s like a Bishop’s Landing concept only on a bigger scale," he said.

Bishop’s Landing, developed by Southwest Properties on the Halifax side of the harbour, is a low-rise development that mixes residential and retail components.

King’s Wharf will have taller structures, including a 30-storey condo tower.

Mr. Fares said prices will start at about $305 a square foot for residential units, which will range in size from 700 square feet up to 1,850 square feet.

The developer is optimistic the project will be a success. Its prime location offers total views of the harbour.

"It’s a peninsula on the water with a southwest exposure. We have a boardwalk across the waterfront so it is a community where people can live, work and enjoy the waterfront. A water taxi will link us to downtown Halifax, we are five minutes from the ferry terminal and we are connected to the Trans Canada Trail," Mr. Fares said.

The property, a former marine industrial site owned by the Irving group, has undergone all the required remediation and approvals. "Everything is done and approved and we are ready to start," Mr. Fares said.

Suppliers to the project, investors and local dignitaries will get the first glimpse of King’s Wharf during a private showing Thursday. About 800 people registered as potential buyers will see the design on Friday, and on Saturday the project will be open for viewing by the general public.

Mr. Fares said the feeling in the community for the project has been "very positive."

The first building will have 75 units and there will be "great incentives for the first 40 buyers," he said.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 2:03 PM

It's nice that the heritage trust decided to drop their crusade against this development. Probably when they noticed that just about every person who spoke at the public meeting said they liked it and wanted it to go forward.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 2:06 PM
Fizzix geek

Good to hear that they are over all the remediation approval steps. I was a little concerned about that, so am glad to hear that they made it past that step.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This is being featured right now on News 95.7. They are talking to Owners/Creators

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 4:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This is being featured right now on News 95.7. They are talking to Owners/Creators
What was said? I just read your post and missed it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
It's nice that the heritage trust decided to drop their crusade against this development. Probably when they noticed that just about every person who spoke at the public meeting said they liked it and wanted it to go forward.
It amazes me what they will rail against. This entire area is a huge industrial wasteland. And they fight against developing it into a beautiful waterfront destination. Boggles the mind. I'm glad they dropped it too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 9:16 PM

As I recall one of their biggest concerns was the loss of the view of the mouth of the harbour from Brightwood, specifically the view from a certain hole (I'm thinking 9th, but I don't know Brightwood at all) - but then somebody representing the players at Brightwood said they don't mind, and they endorse it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth