HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Nice to hear about jet service. Any word on service to new cities?
No announcements, and I don't know if the city has been talking to other airlines or if any other airlines are even ineterested right now.

The most probable additions would be United Express to Denver (I don't know if they would bring their flight to LAX back), US Airways Express to Phoenix, and American Eagle to Dallas or possibly Los Angeles.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post

I realize that it's probably just the international symbol for 'ground transportation' but will the airport actually be served by taxis and buses?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 10:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I realize that it's probably just the international symbol for 'ground transportation' but will the airport actually be served by taxis and buses?

They will have to have some kind of service you'd think. This new airport will open up a whole new market for hotels, car rentals, taxis companies and other transportation businesses to the area.

Seeing the photos just makes me want to go check out the mew airport once it opens.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 6:24 AM

Well, despite what the earlier article says, Skywest's press release says it will offer four daily jet flights and one turbo prop flight http://www.skywest.com/media/Press%2...ts_11.5.10.pdf. So, actually, there will be an increase in the number of seats compared to what is offered today. So that is good.

Also, St. George does have a bus transit system and taxi services.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:26 AM

SkyWest acquisition of rival ExpressJet expected Friday

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...rline.html.csp

SkyWest Inc. will sew up its merger with ExpressJet Holdings on Friday after ExpressJet’s shareholders voted in favor of the deal earlier this week...

...The deal reinforces SkyWest’s rank as the country’s biggest regional carrier, at a time when consolidations and downsizing are sweeping across the regional industry...

...Right now, the SkyWest fleet totals 454. Post-merger, the combined SkyWest-ASA-ExpressJet fleet will total almost 700 jets and turboprop planes — the biggest in the U.S.

SkyWest will have more than 20,000 employees after the merger.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:24 PM

Chicago company expands to St. George

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...St-George.html

...Czarnowski Display Service Inc. will invest over $6.5 million in the development of a new production and distribution facility in St. George. When completed, the operation will employ 50 new full-time staff with wages in excess of 150 percent of the Washington County average, including full benefits...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 6:57 AM

More expansion announcements (albeit a resumption of a former route) for the new St. George Airport (opening in one month).

SkyWest to resume St. George-to-Los Angeles flights
By Paul Beebe

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published Dec 10, 2010 06:25PM
Updated 1 hour ago Updated Dec 10, 2010 10:26PM
SkyWest Airlines will resume direct flights to Los Angeles from its hometown of St. George on March 6.

The airline will operate one round trip daily between St. George and Los Angeles International Airport six days a week, Sundays through Fridays.

Full article: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ights.html.csp

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:48 PM

Eagle Point Opens

Southern Utah residents have new ski resort to enjoy

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-to-enjoy.html

BEAVER — Southern Utah residents now have two nearby options when the urge to go skiing or snowboarding hits them.

Eagle Point, Utah’s 14th and newest ski resort is now open for business. It’s located about 18 miles east of Beaver and Wednesday was the grand opening.

“It’s fantastic, and it’s only going to get better,” said St. George resident Erik Gueller. “I can’t believe how much snow is already up here.”...

...Some of those improvements include the resort's two lodges; the Skyline Lodge and the Canyonside Lodge. The resort's five lifts are also reconditioned and workers did a lot of improvements to the infrastructure.

“This is not just kind of wiping the cobwebs off the old resort and getting it cranked up,” said Ski Utah President Nathan Rafferty, “They’ve done some great improvements.”

Eagle Point’s vision is to be a family friendly destination...

Eagle Point ski resort makes its debut

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...thern.html.csp

...Situated almost evenly between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, Eagle Point will primarily target customers from southern Nevada and Southern California, said Shane Gadbaw, one of three Wall Street financiers who purchased the resort in December 2009...

Tusher Mountains

Last edited by delts145; Dec 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:24 AM

SGU airport update

Just two weeks away from opening day!

Some latest photos of the new St. George Airport construction. Courtesy of www.sguconstruction.com

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:07 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Thanks for the update skyguy414!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:27 AM

Airport dedicated today, last flights from old airport tonight, first revenue flights from new airport start tomorrow!

KSL: article
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13980519

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
Airport dedicated today, last flights from old airport tonight, first revenue flights from new airport start tomorrow!

KSL: article
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13980519
I thought there weren't going to be any jetways? That sure looks like one behind that reporter! Nice!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:28 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Yea I too thought there wasn't going to be any jetways but I too saw one behind the reporter. I'm glad there is a jetway.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:01 AM

Yep, it has a jetway. I wasn't expecting that either.

Here are some cool videos taken by the city. The aerial views of the city are spectacular. The aerial video is probably a year and a half old seeing as the airport was still early in development when they shot that one. You can easily see how the old airport (shown at the beginning) was too small and had no room to grow.

The last video is a local news story.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:34 AM

Dixie State College on track to become a university

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...niversity.html

St. George...Now, as it celebrates its 100th anniversary with exploding enrollment and the addition of several new four-year degrees, Dixie State is on an upward trajectory that could make it a university, offering graduate programs in as soon as three years.

College leaders will present a plan today to the state Board of Regents that would expand Dixie State into a regional university role similar to that of Weber State University and Utah Valley University...

Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons, Dixie State College - This multi-function, five-story, 165,000-square-foot building is designed to accommodate the school’s rapid growth. It will include a library/digital learning center, student services, classrooms, the English department, IT support and business services.

Price tag: $48 million ($38 million state funds, $10 million donations)...Completion date: July 2012

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:48 PM

There was talk before about Dixie becoming part of the University of Utah system. University of Utah - St. George. I wonder if that's been scrapped.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
There was talk before about Dixie becoming part of the University of Utah system. University of Utah - St. George. I wonder if that's been scrapped.
You would think at a time with large higher education state budget cuts, it would make sense to combine the two to save on admin. costs(?)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:53 AM

This airport is beautiful! I love the design and the palette colors. I have never seen a view of the old airport as you would when coming in on an approach; that is a very dramatic landing. I hope they have to expand in short order.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:58 PM

Hey Everyone! I'm new on the board, I grew up in St George, my whole family still lives there. I have a number of connections in the city and at the college, but I myself live in Utah County now finishing my degree, and I hope to achieve a Master's in Public Administration.
What I can tell you about the DSC Merger with UofU is this: The fact that in order to be affiliated with the University of Utah, Dixie State College would have had to drop Dixie from its name because the University didn't want anyone to think it had racist significance. This upset a lot of people at the school, so the decision was made to not pursue that union, and to go it alone.
I personally was hoping that it would have become UUD for University of Utah at Dixie, but it may end up becoming DSU instead. Either way, I think St George has a great climate for a college town, and I hope that it becomes a University. I'll be cheering!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 11:51 AM

A very big welcome to the forum Deek. I'm particularly excited to have someone on the forum who has a strong connection with the St. George area. St. George's future is very exciting to me. I'm betting that Dixie University will ultimately be able to go it alone just fine. IMO, it's important that St. George maintain a certain independance from the U. of U., even though it will present certain challenges. I like the aspect of having a University with an independant, historically rich name attached to it, not just another Utah etc. label. I would hope that even the most Uber PC individuals would not focus on a name, that has no intention of any kind of being racist. We have enough 'Utah Univ.' labels already, and certainly don't need to continue to dilute the proud moniker amongst our Universities even further. St. George is a unique area, and I think we are all excited for it's continued growth and prosperity. St. George deserves a University who's name is as unique in the region as it's spectacular scenery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West