HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Wilbur is a name we can trust. It'll be leveled or under redevelopment by 2022. This is excellent news.
I wouldn’t doubt it if he’s got things up and running by mid 2021. He bought gothic arches in October 2019 and was demolishing it by December. But time will tell...

This is going to create a big traffic interruption uptown with sidewalk closures and possibly lane closures. Nevertheless I’m pumped to see this property in the hands of someone with a proven track record.

It’s also very nice to see uptown will have a big project lined up for 2021. If the Wellington picks up in this spring then we will have 2 big ones starting and 3 wrapping up.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I wouldn’t doubt it if he’s got things up and running by mid 2021. He bought gothic arches in October 2019 and was demolishing it by December. But time will tell...

This is going to create a big traffic interruption uptown with sidewalk closures and possibly lane closures. Nevertheless I’m pumped to see this property in the hands of someone with a proven track record.

It’s also very nice to see uptown will have a big project lined up for 2021. If the Wellington picks up in this spring then we will have 2 big ones starting and 3 wrapping up.
Plus the ongoing City Hall redevelopment, and whatever UNBSJ has planned on King Square- now that we know it isn't 91 King, it must be on King Square North. Traffic interruption could be the time to turn King Square into a roundabout.

And probably an announcement regarding the recently-sold Tin Can Beach lot. I'm personally exploring some lots between there and the lower cove terminal by the old Lantic site and Irving tank farm. Does anyone here know about how bad the brownfield is?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Plus the ongoing City Hall redevelopment, and whatever UNBSJ has planned on King Square- now that we know it isn't 91 King, it must be on King Square North. Traffic interruption could be the time to turn King Square into a roundabout.

And probably an announcement regarding the recently-sold Tin Can Beach lot. I'm personally exploring some lots between there and the lower cove terminal by the old Lantic site and Irving tank farm. Does anyone here know about how bad the brownfield is?
King Square North is becoming the likely candidate for UNBSJ's big plans around King Square. As far as the brownfield I have no clue... any insight you could us? Also please keep us up to date on your search for new properties.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
King's Square is already a counterclockwise roundabout.

I guess i'm tentatively more excited now that we know who purchased 91 King. Would't mind seeing a full demo but until we see the quality of build on Wentworth i'll hold back on that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly from past news, the soil requires expensive cleanup. The sugar refinery was a very industrialized area and the plant itself was quite toxic apparently. I’ve heard the new development will not dig a foundation - rather be built on a concrete pad. Did you know the city has a service to match up property owners willing to sell their vacant lots to developers ?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Wilbur is a name we can trust. It'll be leveled or under redevelopment by 2022. This is excellent news.
Apparently the foundation is so thick it can support the weight of 10 stories - it was an option mentioned 2 buyers ago. $900,000 is a steep price just for the land so I wonder if Percy bought it thinking he’ll save that much money in foundation costs. Maybe Lawton’s will vacate Brunswick Square and locate there instead.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
If I remember correctly from past news, the soil requires expensive cleanup. The sugar refinery was a very industrialized area and the plant itself was quite toxic apparently. I’ve heard the new development will not dig a foundation - rather be built on a concrete pad. Did you know the city has a service to match up property owners willing to sell their vacant lots to developers ?
Yeah, it's a complicated site. I don't believe the plant extended east of Sydney... maybe that's where the oil tank farms were.

The vacant property match service hasn't been updated since it was launched, and the two people I recall contacting from it were whackjobs who didn't even want to sell. Very disappointing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's a complicated site. I don't believe the plant extended east of Sydney... maybe that's where the oil tank farms were.

The vacant property match service hasn't been updated since it was launched, and the two people I recall contacting from it were whackjobs who didn't even want to sell. Very disappointing.
Here is a lot of info
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...nery-1.4080554

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

New windows on top two floors of 61 King. Must be residential... 4 units?

Brick repointed just in time by the look of it. I wonder if they'll do the second floor as well.

https://imgur.com/a/JJInGcc

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:38 PM
ハルウララ

So great seeing all of these properties renovated and updated.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:02 PM
New Brunswick booster!

That one was in need of some big TLC because where that red tarp is there were some major cracks forming.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:31 AM

Neat perspective looking up at Telegraph Square from Grannan Street. This project has almost topped out with one more storey to go.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 3:18 PM

I wonder if it’s now visible from Chesley Dr or St Patrick St

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 11:46 PM

Big news for affordable housing uptown - the new Rapid Housing program by feds ($1B for 3,000 units) has brought the St. Vincent High School project back into play. 60 units total, 40 being affordable housing

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Big news for affordable housing uptown - the new Rapid Housing program by feds ($1B for 3,000 units) has brought the St. Vincent High School project back into play. 60 units total, 40 being affordable housing
I'll believe it when I see the construction.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see the construction.
All the details are in the next agenda for common council

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
All the details are in the next agenda for common council
I didn't know the site was back up- thanks!

Also, one billion dollars for three thousand 'affordable' (read: taxpayer-subsidized, not co-op) units? That's a third of a million dollars per unit. You could build 6-8 affordable apartments at that cost.

Last edited by adamuptownsj; Dec 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 10:02 PM

Former city councilor and MLA Gerry Lowe posted this to Facebook:
Quote:
In regards to the community center (school) in the South End, I am now firmly convinced, after talking to Minister Arlene Dunn, 4 or 5 times in the last 2 days, that this Community Centre will be built and up and running by 2023/2024.
The first school listed by Minister Dominic Cardy was the New Killarney Lake- K-5 school, which is partially being funded in 2021. Second on the list was the Nashwaaksis/McAdam Ave School, which would move to first & our Central Peninsula School would move to second.
Develop Saint John, which I am part of, had previously purchased land, and I believe the remaining land will be purchased in 2021 for the school. I believe the Community Centre will be in the next Provincial budget. This should be up and occupied in 2024.
I would like to thank, Develop Saint John; Gary Lawson, who is Chair of the Central Peninsula Community School task force; Brice Belyea of Living Saint John; Rob Fowler, Chair of the local district Education Council; Minister Dominic Cardy and sincere thanks to Minister Arlene Dunn for bringing us across the finish line.
There are many other people, both in the South End and throughout the city who have contributed to the plans for this Community Hub.
In closing, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a very safe New Year. Having gone to the old Saint John The Baptist School and has resided in the South End for many years, this is a great Christmas gift for me.
So the big question now is where will it be built? Mr. Lowe mentioned Develop Saint John has already purchased part of the land so a little investigating on the SNB website might bring up some ideas.

I'll throw my theory out there, 200, 204 Carmarthen, and 177 St. James Street. The block is about half buildings half parking lot and 200 Carmarthen a building/parking lot that has sat vacant for years sold last month for 187,500.

Last edited by ColSJ; Dec 18, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 7:44 PM

Saint John Region Chamber of Commerce announced a new location on the corner of Prince William and Grannan Streets. This building was part of the Hazen Properties portfolio that Historica purchased. Glad to see the green bathroom tiles will be removed from exterior.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:16 PM

At 5 stories, 1 more to go, Telegraph Square has now poked above the skyline - now visible when you come down St Patrick St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces