HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:11 AM

I can somehow understand the fear of electrical wires and substations, although I don't think there is any scientific study supporting any health impacts from either.

But I don't understand fear of cemeteries which are normally the most peaceful and relaxing places in town. It is just as irrational as being afraid of number '4' or '13'.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondOval View Post
I hate it how they never make these things into correct scale. None of those surrounding building is in correct scale in relation to Gilmore Place or each other. While the tallest tower will be tall and appear very imposing, it won't be that much taller than Solo district or Amazing Brentwood.

Also, long term Brentwood's skyline will need something of similar scale to the east to balance itself. My hope is on the Esso / dealership lot going also 200+ meters.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Also, long term Brentwood's skyline will need something of similar scale to the east to balance itself. My hope is on the Esso / dealership lot going also 200+ meters.
my thoughts exactly

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:13 AM

Quote:
I hate it how they never make these things into correct scale. None of those surrounding building is in correct scale in relation to Gilmore Place or each other. While the tallest tower will be tall and appear very imposing, it won't be that much taller than Solo district or Amazing Brentwood.

They make it seem like their tallest tower is two and a half times the height of Aviara, which it is clearly not.

I think that when Solo and Brentwood are built out, they would stack up quite nicely against the Gilmore project. Sure they are not as tall, but the sheer density right on the intersection of Willingdon and Lougheed will more than make up for it.

I do agree they should develop something that stands out from the rest of the skyline on that Esso plot. Something like the KPF tower from Station Square would be nice!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnaby33 View Post
They do sell, but you have to wait a bit longer for the right buyer who is not superstitious. Even at the Amazing Brentwood you will be looking at the Beth Isreal Cemetary from many units; it is a fact of life in the area.

I bought at Escala facing the cemetary, but did so because of the endless views. I will be on the 18th floor, so my view of the cemetary from inside my unit will be minimal. I was only given one choice, but, thankfully, I got one of the units I wanted. The cemetary looks like a lawn for the most part and was better to look at then the substation. The mountain views were also hard to pass up.

At Escala there are only three units remaining, all facing the substation. Everything facing the cemetary is sold out. As well, the first release of Triomphe virtually sold out. The demand in the area is intense, as I experience last year when I purchased. It has pushed a one bedroom at Aviara, for example, from 400 a couple of years ago to 475 today. If you are thinking about Gilmore Place I would recommend it. The upward price trajectory is more here than a more established area like Metrotown.
I actually signed contract with Triomphe, just still debating if I want to purchase it... The unit I like faces north and see a bit of the cemetery as well. But I don't mind it since I know it's a nice well maintained cemetery. Plus I get to see some of the mountain view up on 37th floor, which I love. The only concern that I have is with the electrical substation, it is just across the street from Trimophe. Escala is further away from the substation which I find it better. That's why I'm wondering what people think about the area... since the tower is sandwich in between substation and cemetery.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbits View Post
I actually signed contract with Triomphe, just still debating if I want to purchase it... The unit I like faces north and see a bit of the cemetery as well. But I don't mind it since I know it's a nice well maintained cemetery. Plus I get to see some of the mountain view up on 37th floor, which I love. The only concern that I have is with the electrical substation, it is just across the street from Trimophe. Escala is further away from the substation which I find it better. That's why I'm wondering what people think about the area... since the tower is sandwich in between substation and cemetery.
The assessed value on my unit is up an even 30% YoY.

Some of this is obviously due to broader market, but Brentwood is certainly not missing out on gains.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbits View Post
It is ultimately up to you regarding the unit. You have to feel comfortable with your purchase.

Since the area is on the outskirts of the development zone it will be slightly less desirable than say, SOLO or Brentwood. This will be less of a problem when Gilmore Place is built, however.

Lastly, the price increases over one year for a one bedroom at Aviara was 50,000 and 100,000 to 120,000 for a two bedroom. Brentwood is currently scorching hot. I do not see it slowing down once all the retail and commercial space goes live in a couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I think pedestrian tunnels under the Lougheed and Willingdon intersection are the most feasible solution. Could even connect them with the underground retail in Amazing Brentwood, perhaps? Direct connection with the SkyTrain station? Eh..

Can't really do too much in the area given the history of soil contamination and the ground stability needed for the SkyTrain track.
As I recall the structure for skytrain is all large raft slabs not Cassions like the rest of the line.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 7:22 PM
BANNED

When is Onni going to start selling? I can't wait to buy

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmoreStation View Post
When is Onni going to start selling? I can't wait to buy
you email/phone onni? What did they say?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 8:50 PM

Smile please I need to know this

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
my thoughts exactly
Is that the location of the original Brentwood of 1959, renewed into a tent-like structure, with a now-defunct anchor store, and two levels, post,etc? SW corner Of Amazing Bw.?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
you email/phone onni? What did they say?
And ask them to release the exact height of the towers while you are at it GilmoreStation

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:14 AM

I wonder if they make this the tallest building in BC how long till Vancouver goes and builds taller.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:34 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
I wonder if they make this the tallest building in BC how long till Vancouver goes and builds taller.
We would need a radical shift of thinking at city hall by electing someone else to run the city first.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:03 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn86 View Post
Vancouver has never cared about having tall buildings.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Besides view cones, I always thought it was because of Vancouver's potential seismic activity that it would be best to keep buildings shorter. Although I like the idea of tall skyscrapers, I wouldn't want to live on top of one of those in Vancouver because I'm paranoid.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerseeker101 View Post
Besides view cones, I always thought it was because of Vancouver's potential seismic activity that it would be best to keep buildings shorter. Although I like the idea of tall skyscrapers, I wouldn't want to live on top of one of those in Vancouver because I'm paranoid.
....with your perspective in mind Los Angeles and San Francisco are down right scary places for super tall skyscrapers.....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
....with your perspective in mind Los Angeles and San Francisco are down right scary places for super tall skyscrapers.....
I wouldn't mind living on the lower levels though.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:10 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

Except that Vancouver (in a long forgotten age, when there was much greater regulatory freedom) constructed the tallest skyscraper in the entire British Commonwealth, not once, not twice, but three times.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:58 AM
perhaps . . .

Seismic limitations are just a structural design/cost factor that we now incorporate into virtually all buildings (from houses on up).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley