HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 7:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Absolutely! I already really enjoy the ride from Clearview into the city! I can't wait for Causeway @ I-10 to be completed, and for the extra lane to finally open up. Now I wish they would expand from Vets through Williams/Airport.
Yeah Im not sure I ever understood their logic in expanding those first. For anyone coming in from the west in the evening the area by Power is always such a bottleneck and an unnescessary one at that!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah Im not sure I ever understood their logic in expanding those first. For anyone coming in from the west in the evening the area by Power is always such a bottleneck and an unnescessary one at that!
Yeah and it doesn't help that I-10 Eastbound @ Williams has 3 onramps. I'd imagine the onramp on the left hand side of the road (from southbound Williams) will eventually become an added on lane, and so traffic should flow a little smoother.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Also...the ramp connector project is the much anticipated widening of I-10 between Clearview and Vets. The project includes the additional lane that connects the on/off ramps and a sound wall for the neighborhoods.
Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, but I don't this is such a great project. To quote the Mayor of London, "More roads means more traffic."

Using tax dollars to expand roads benefits some at the expense of others. Roads should be 100% paid for with the gasoline tax, otherwise you have government subsidizing urban sprawl, and subsidizing public transportation's biggest competition.

I'd like to see a return to cities with healthy, efficient, and dense urban cores - where public transportation is profitable and walking is normal. This can only be accomplished if the government stops subsidizing urban sprawl. The real kicker in the current model since the 1950s, is that it takes money from the poor (inner city dwellers) and gives to the rich (suburbanites).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:41 AM
TL;DR

Expressways with high-volume entrances like I-10 really need auxiliary lanes between exits to give entering traffic more time to merge in.

It's amazing how a steady stream of cars from a single onramp can choke up three or four mainline lanes.

Plus, adding auxiliary lanes is a relatively low-cost way to reduce congestion. Since it only exists between exits, there are far fewer overpasses to rebuild. Since the lanes are on the outside, they can use existing drainage systems. Really, you're only paying for pavement.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:56 AM

Winn Dixie Mid-City

There is an article in City Business, but I can't access it, that finally the blighted buildings at N. Carrollton/Bienville will be redeveloped. Here is another link with design info

http://mcno.org/mid-city-winn-dixie-update/

It appears the Winn-Dixie that was suppose to be built at the corner of N. Carrollton/Bienville is now moved to the old Bohn Ford site and the Building Block is no longer (which has been known for months now) on the Bohn site. It is good that this high traffic intersection will finally be developed and the blight removed, but I still don't understand the business recruitment. I've never understood the 3 gas stations in the same intersection mentality. In this case, a Pinkberry is a block from Bracato's, Petco is across the street from the Jefferson Feed and not far from the new Fetch on Moss. Plus, Verizon is just across the street so it is just moving and Five Guys isn't all that far from the Bud's Broiler on City Park, but that might be an improvement. It always seems to be to get similar business concentrated rather than have variety. But happy to see that the old lady who owned the old Ace center is finally selling and now these two major blocks will get developed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Expressways with high-volume entrances like I-10 really need auxiliary lanes between exits to give entering traffic more time to merge in.

It's amazing how a steady stream of cars from a single onramp can choke up three or four mainline lanes.

Plus, adding auxiliary lanes is a relatively low-cost way to reduce congestion. Since it only exists between exits, there are far fewer overpasses to rebuild. Since the lanes are on the outside, they can use existing drainage systems. Really, you're only paying for pavement.
I agree...Texas roads have definitely mastered the art of highways. I wish our roads can be half as good as theirs. The feeder roads in Houston often have as many or more lanes as our frikkin interstate!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcity View Post
Five Guys isn't all that far from the Bud's Broiler on City Park, but that might be an improvement. It always seems to be to get similar business concentrated rather than have variety. But happy to see that the old lady who owned the old Ace center is finally selling and now these two major blocks will get developed.
Woah, we're getting a Five Guys and a Pei Wei? That's great! I will be frequent customers at both places for sure. Bud's Broiler tastes like Wendy's with better bbq sauce... but Five Guys is a real hamburger. Pei Wei is halfway between Panda Express and PF Chang's, like a Panera Bread that serves decent, tasty Chinese food.

To answer your question, the city doesn't have a ton of places where strip development is allowed, so those few places tend to have a lot of competition.

Retailers are willing to open stores in questionable locations in strip developments because their risk is low... the space is very flexible. Often, the chain doesn't sell high-margin items, so they have to make their money on sales volume. A strip location with easy parking and a drive-thru guarantees maximum sales volume.

By contrast, it is much more risky for a chain retailer to open a storefront location. The pedestrian traffic must be able to support the store all on its own, because at certain times parking may not be available at all, and at most other times parking is scarce. Even in the biggest cities like Chicago and New York, storefront locations of major chains are pretty rare and confined to only the busiest streets. The major exceptions to this are franchises with very low start-up costs, like Subway or Dunkin Donuts... these guys pop up everywhere.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:34 AM
-

Heres the rendering:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 9:50 AM

Looks like a great development for Mid-City. So happy to see these two large eyesores finally being redeveloped. I have several friends in the Mid-City area that will be happy to see this area redeveloped. The Rouses is always incredibly busy, so the Winn Dixie will help ease some of the congestion at the other store. It looks like the rendering shows a Pinkberry! I love that place.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:01 PM

I hope all of those tenants remain. NOLA needs to have some national retailers/chains just to provide a mix for its residents. This would be a great development. With this plus the proposed development on the other side of the interstate by palmetto, Carrolton will be transformed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, but I don't this is such a great project. To quote the Mayor of London, "More roads means more traffic."

Using tax dollars to expand roads benefits some at the expense of others. Roads should be 100% paid for with the gasoline tax, otherwise you have government subsidizing urban sprawl, and subsidizing public transportation's biggest competition.

I'd like to see a return to cities with healthy, efficient, and dense urban cores - where public transportation is profitable and walking is normal. This can only be accomplished if the government stops subsidizing urban sprawl. The real kicker in the current model since the 1950s, is that it takes money from the poor (inner city dwellers) and gives to the rich (suburbanites).
I thought the government was the creation of the people & not the other way around. Apparently the people want urban sprawl. It's not some beareaucrat that determines how cities grow but the people.

I'm am really excited about all the developments in the city and the increased desire for people to live downtown...really. We need the urban & suburban, but the truth of the matter is that New Orleans does not have the type of housing stock to accomodate the lifestyles many people want...particularly to raise a family. People just don't to be relagated to walking, catching a bus or hopping on a street car to get around...it's just the way it is. Our suburban neighborhoods are here to stay so why not make getting to & fro easier....particularly since many of us who live in the city occasionally benefit from this.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:31 PM

Loyola Avenue streetcar project officially under way

Seven years after streetcars returned to Canal Street following a four-decade absence, New Orleans officials staged a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday for a 1.5-mile line along Loyola Avenue -- the first of what they hope will be multiple new rail projects.

Construction on the federally financed streetcar line that will connect the Union Passenger Terminal to Canal Street is not expected to begin until July.

But based on encouraging words from an Obama administration Cabinet member, local transit executives have reason to believe that cash for more streetcar service could be in the offing.

Full Article

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:58 PM
-

More info on Poydras/Baronne Apartments

900 Poydras Apts/Retail Space

New Orleans, LA $2,500,000 6-14-2011
2:00 PM John Mipro
This project consists of renovation an existing building to include 12 apartments and 4 retail shells. Project includes: concrete, roofing, millwork, doors, windows, Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing work.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Seven years after streetcars returned to Canal Street following a four-decade absence, New Orleans officials staged a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday for a 1.5-mile line along Loyola Avenue -- the first of what they hope will be multiple new rail projects.

Construction on the federally financed streetcar line that will connect the Union Passenger Terminal to Canal Street is not expected to begin until July.

But based on encouraging words from an Obama administration Cabinet member, local transit executives have reason to believe that cash for more streetcar service could be in the offing.

Full Article

Why on earth is this line only having four stops, tulane ave, poydras, julia, and train terminal? It seems that by the time you walk say to one of the stops, you are already halfway down the line. They should definitely at least put one in front of the Hyatt

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Why on earth is this line only having four stops, tulane ave, poydras, julia, and train terminal? It seems that by the time you walk say to one of the stops, you are already halfway down the line. They should definitely at least put one in front of the Hyatt
You don't want to have more stops here. When the stops are too close it becomes impractical to use. As for there being a stop at the Hyatt, I don't see why that can't be something to be done. As for the length of the line, it will really make sense if they tie it into the rampart/st. claude line that is planned to be built.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Yeah I guess they are thinking people will walk to Poydras, but if you actually look at where the stops are for Poydras on the St Charles line they are a good ways from the actual intersection so Im betting it will be quite close to the front of the Hotel.But I do agree that Girod would be the preferred street not Julia. Maybe it will be mid block between the two.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
I thought the government was the creation of the people & not the other way around. Apparently the people want urban sprawl. It's not some beareaucrat that determines how cities grow but the people.

I'm am really excited about all the developments in the city and the increased desire for people to live downtown...really. We need the urban & suburban, but the truth of the matter is that New Orleans does not have the type of housing stock to accomodate the lifestyles many people want...particularly to raise a family. People just don't to be relagated to walking, catching a bus or hopping on a street car to get around...it's just the way it is. Our suburban neighborhoods are here to stay so why not make getting to & fro easier....particularly since many of us who live in the city occasionally benefit from this.
I really think Blitzen made a good point. Although it may be tempting to some look at Texas' highway system as enviable, I don't think it takes much insight to see the impact they have had on sprawl. Part of what makes New Orleans what it is has been a historically strong core. Even though I am not totally against highway expansion, I think road expansion period should be a lot less of a priority given the current state of infrastructure at hand. Considering the low quality of the roads we already have in the region it seems a little silly to focus spending on highway expansion projects when we are the laughing stock of the country when it comes to road upkeep.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 8:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I really think Blitzen made a good point. Although it may be tempting to some look at Texas' highway system as enviable, I don't think it takes much insight to see the impact they have had on sprawl. Part of what makes New Orleans what it is has been a historically strong core. Even though I am not totally against highway expansion, I think road expansion period should be a lot less of a priority given the current state of infrastructure at hand. Considering the low quality of the roads we already have in the region it seems a little silly to focus spending on highway expansion projects when we are the laughing stock of the country when it comes to road upkeep.
I totally agree Texas' highways are not what I want. All I was saying is that as far as the ride from the airport is concerned this will be a dramatic improvement. Increasing efficiency of the current system isnt really the same as building 12 lane highways everywhere. I think its important for the New Orleans Metro to be as attractive as possible on the ride in from the airport to downtown. This is the last stretch of that interstate that needs to be upgraded.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Comapring New Orleans to Texas cities is apples & oranges. Much of the growth of New Orleans happened substantially before the interstate system & subsequent highway growth. The opposite can be said for Dallas & Houston. The area between New Orleans & Kenner is a heavily traveled & important highway. I don't see why helping traffic flows along that stretch is somehow not a good thing. Speaking of laughing stocks, what was that area before the recent road improvements of the last few years? Coming to dead stops during non rush hour times.

I still don't get the bias against "sprawl". Sure, I get it to a certain extent, but it's unrealistic to think you are going to grow a city without some sprawl. It's just not what people...who pay the bills... really want. Now how that sprawl happens is a fair debate. I'm sure if JP had it to do over again, they would do a lot of things differently.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
I'm sorry to contradict you, but it was bureaucrats who determined how cities grew after 1945, not the people. The 1945 GI Bill gave down payments and loans to soldiers returning from the war, but only on homes on lots that weren't connected to one another. This caused suburbs all over the country to boom, and left denser inner city cores abandoned.

Here in New Orleans, the areas around St. Claude, 7th Ward, Storyville, CBD (along Loyola Avenue), Tulane/Gravier (along Claiborne on both sides) were filled with dense blocks of connected townhouses that were left abandoned. Then in the 60s/70s they were bulldozed into what we have today. The same story is repeated around the country.

People are looking back towards downtowns as necessity and efficiency dictate, because it's getting more expensive to own a car, keep up a house, mow a lawn, etc.

I'm all for people doing whatever they want to do, living wherever they want to live - just don't make other people pay for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations