HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 12:37 AM
I Like Turtles!

And to think they're all gone and forgotten now.

Last edited by Albany NY; Jan 18, 2015 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I've got to go out of town for a few days, so I thought I'd post one more 'mystery' photograph.

ebay

Have a great weekend everyone!
__
Ebay/Mirexho.

The same car on the same line. Probably the same street if you look background.
The seller mentions "line 10 terminus" to locate it.
Let's have a drink at Thelma's Café.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:21 PM

Last edited by Looking4OldLA; Jan 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:52 PM

"S.P.R.R. Bridge over L.A. River."
Rains at the end of February 1938 isolated Los Angeles from the rest of the known world, so these pix were probly taken very early March. That's one of the Figueroa tunnels , the Arroyo Seco Parkway passes over the site. The bridge was replaced with a single track structure, as the mainline to Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal , opened in 1939 , was constructed on the east bank of the river. IIRC this bridge was doubled by MetroLink

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:04 PM

<<I've got to go out of town for a few days, so I thought I'd post one more 'mystery' photograph>>- LARy 950
The second shot [ thanks another ton] reveals this to be a Railroad Boosters excursion, 1938 or 1939- I could look it up- A few pages back there is a pic of this car at the car house with the RRB dash sign. The scene is on or the vicinity of Lamar Street, north of the SP Sunset Mainline- go west to the LAUPT or, before that, via Alameda St to Central STation. It's only a short walk from the car line to the SP roundhouse and General SHops. The attraction to RRB for this car is probably because there were few of this type- most were similar to LARy 315 also shown a few pages back. This trip probably provided a rare opportunity to ride on and photograph it on lines that it was not assigned to

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:27 PM

LARy 950, some more
This should be the upper right corner of a 1938 LARy map. Look for "S P Shops" and the stub line toward it- I can't decipher the street name, but it doesn't appear to be Lamar.
I'll look for a map that shows all the streets. I do see a circle enclosing 10 for a route. { well I THINK I see one or two]
Note that no route is shown in the signs on the car roof, and beware dash signs shown in excursion pix that don't say RRB

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:32 PM

LAMAR Street
It IS , well on this map of 1934
http://laist.com/2012/05/23/1934_map...iv.php#photo-3
The P of S.P. ran into LAMAR on the other , smaller map.
SO
now y'all folks can try those businesses to see if Lamar is right

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:44 PM

MORE and bigger Lamar
I was too excited to follow the path to the original Big Map Blog site
http://www.bigmapblog.com/2012/elect...s-in-l-a-1934/
Downloading, zoooming and print-buying, no waiting.
I must lie down now

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:50 PM

Last edited by Looking4OldLA; Jan 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:01 PM

You're completely right Ed. It's Lamar. Thanks for your help.

This is how the street looks like today :
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...98882lamar.jpg
Google Earth

On the right, buildings are still there with for example a place known as The Cube (647 Lamar St.). But on the left...

San Antonio Winery has grown and Thelma's Cafe is no longer there. I can't read the name of the other cafe (Amelia's ?).
Thank you also Looking4OldLA.

Last edited by Killeye; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeye View Post
On the right, buildings are still there. But on the left...

San Antonio Winery has replaced Thelma's Cafe. Thanks you also Looking4OldLA.
Not meaning to belabor but Sante Fe Wines is a brand. The store's name might be "Celbya Groc (grocery)?" as read at the top of the RC Cola sign in the 2nd shot.
This little grocery store and Thelma's Cafe are two different buildings and locations.
The store can barely be seen in this photo directly behind (left of) the tree on the left side of the street just beyond the double peaked building which would account for the "end of street building" perceptive appearing nearer in the 2nd shot.
Notice the low (picket) fence in both shots next to the store.

Photos originally posted by ER

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
Not meaning to belabor but Sante Fe Wines is a brand. The store's name might be "Celbya Groc (grocery)?" as read at the top of the RC Cola sign.
This little grocery store and Thelma's Cafe are two different buildings and locations.
The store can barely be seen in this photo directly behind (left of) the tree on the left side of the street just beyond the double peaked building.
You're right.
Location of Etheral Reality's pic with the grocery (≈620 Lamar Street):

Google Earth

Location of the pic with Thelma's Cafe and the terminus (≈737 Lamar Street):

Google Earth

Between the cafe and the grocery, you can recognize the original San Antonio Winery :

San Antonio Winery

What's your mind ?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:56 PM

The seller calls this picture "irresistable pin up girl Sandy Krowart in Los Angeles" and dates it as 1960s or early 1970s. The original image was mirrored, so I flipped it. I'm guessing that the sign behind Sandy's head said "International Associated Studios Inc". I didn't find that in the CDs, but the gasometer in the background told me it was likely to be the intersection of Curson Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard. As I found in post #17671, the gasometer had gone by 1972, so that sets an upper time limit for the photo.

eBay

I believe this is the same sign that appears in the image above. The original has "7559" in very small numbers at the bottom.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:15 AM

An auto race from 1927. The caption on the back says "Hitting a rattling good pace through Los Angeles with the Oldsmobile, a Reo and a 1904 Ford matching snorts for the lead." The sign in the center is for Milnor Inc, importers of European and Oriental goods at 3555 Wilshire Boulevard.

eBay

Here's a current view along Wilshire from South Kingsley Drive. The Wilshire Christian Church is still there, although nearly hidden, and the Gaylord can be seen in the distance. I think the building on the right of the picture above is probably the Talmadge.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The seller calls this picture "irresistable pin up girl Sandy Krowart in Los Angeles" and dates it as 1960s or early 1970s.
Irresistible is right. I would risk taking her home to meet my mother. Once.
...assuming she had a good sense of humor (Sandy) and could spell her own name correctly and had read cover to cover at least one book in her life, in or out of school. I don't care which.

http://www.sekaimon.com/i161008930645 (NSFW)

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"Los Angeles Airdrome, Leaving For Hollywood." (would have been a short flight )
__
I'm thinking perhaps they meant LAX to BUR, which some used to call Hollywood Burbank Airport. The Hollywood part of the old name is a bit of a stretch, though of course a lot of Hollywood, in the metonymical sense, is located in Burbank.

Still, obviously a short flight though presumably possible.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
Irresistible is right. I would risk taking her home to meet my mother. Once.
...assuming she had a good sense of humor (Sandy) and could spell her own name correctly and had read cover to cover at least one book in her life, in or out of school. I don't care which.

http://www.sekaimon.com/i161008930645 (NSFW)
The fact is that NLA is very public and very rich in information. I assume at this point people searching out in earnest L.A. history get directed here by the Googles. That includes places, addresses, buildings and people. I kind of regret goofing on Sandy Krowart. We (I) really know nothing about her. She could be heroic in her endeavors to get by and care for others and we would never know it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
An auto race from 1927. The caption on the back says "Hitting a rattling good pace through Los Angeles with the Oldsmobile, a Reo and a 1904 Ford matching snorts for the lead." The sign in the center is for Milnor Inc, importers of European and Oriental goods at 3555 Wilshire Boulevard.

eBay

Here's a current view along Wilshire from South Kingsley Drive. The Wilshire Christian Church is still there, although nearly hidden, and the Gaylord can be seen in the distance. I think the building on the right of the picture above is probably the Talmadge.

GSV

3575 Wilshire. A former "Copper Penny."
http://tastertotsla.com/wp-content/u...012/09/BCD.jpg

Another Copper Penny - Sunset and La Brea
http://lh4.ggpht.com/gogonotes/R8zQY...00/sv5mmy.jpeg

Familiar LA eateries (House of Pies, IHOP, Wil Wright's Ice Cream and Copper Penny Family Coffee Shops) - all once related. http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...ldings-2383520

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:43 PM

Here's an undated picture of the Flying A service station at 240 N Virgil Avenue. I can see it on the 1948, 1952 and 1954 images at Historic Aerials, but it's gone by 1964. The address means that it was just across Silver Lake Boulevard from The Roundhouse Café at 250 N Virgil which fhammon reminded us about recently in post #25461.

eBay

Today, the site looks like this.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:34 PM

The writing on the back of this photograph claims that it shows 815 Elysian Drive, Mt Washington on September 16, 1914. I think the top line says "Home of J A Foote".

eBay

When I first found the picture above I tried to find Elysian Drive, but drew a blank. Then I had a look around the Mt Washington and discovered Elyria Drive. Here's how 815 Elyria Drive looks today.

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos