HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Cargo is really picking up at YHM. There were 2-B747's last night and one this afternoon around 1:30. There were 3 more in the last 2 weeks.
I had heard that these flights may be concert tour equipment, props ect. Beyonce being the original 3 747's and now Pink yesterday and today on 3 747's.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke442 View Post
I had heard that these flights may be concert tour equipment, props ect. Beyonce being the original 3 747's and now Pink yesterday and today on 3 747's.
It's all cargo not going to Toronto. The airport makes money on it all.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 2:07 AM

Today's aircraft.

National Air Cargo B747-400 at CYHM by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 9:58 PM

Sunwing and Transat have both published their 2023-2024 winter sun routes program.

Essentially a carbon copy from last winter. Subject to change.

This weekend we'll hopefully get an insight on WestJet's direction for us.

YHM_Winter23-24_SunRoutes1 by freerealms454, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 5:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ugh, I'm going to miss Swoop. Such a shame it had to be folded.

I'm weary of Flair, especially with customer complaints. At least with Swoop, you knew WestJet was behind it, so I had more confidence.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:51 PM

Assuming that Westjet drops YHM in total, I would really love it if JetBlue could come in and start some direct routes to Florida and Las Vegas as well as anything to its hubs. That would be a pretty unique offering.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Assuming that Westjet drops YHM in total, I would really love it if JetBlue could come in and start some direct routes to Florida and Las Vegas as well as anything to its hubs. That would be a pretty unique offering.
I don’t know how that rumour could be true. For what reason would westjet want to leave YHM?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I don’t know how that rumour could be true. For what reason would westjet want to leave YHM?
I don't expect Westjet to leave YHM either to be honest. Too much money to be made.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I don't expect Westjet to leave YHM either to be honest. Too much money to be made.
Westjet isn’t leaving YHM, they will continue to run YHM-YYC for as long as they exist.

The big IF is the routes they will offer with swoop gone.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Westjet isn’t leaving YHM, they will continue to run YHM-YYC for as long as they exist.

The big IF is the routes they will offer with swoop gone.
My expectation is that they run a lot of the same routes.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 4:34 PM

I would love to be optimistic, YHM has been the School of Hard Knocks when it comes to passenger options. With about 1MM in annual traffic, that is a lot of revenue to walk away from. Let's cross our fingers.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 6:10 PM

Heard from someone that works at the airport and an email from their CEO said service between Hamilton and Calgary will be 4x weekly this winter.

"details about how WestJet intends to operate routes previously serviced by Swoop will not be released until later this month. indications suggest that there will be significant reductions to routes previously offered by Swoop at Hamilton and at airports across the country due to ongoing constraints with access to operational resources. It is expected that WestJet will focus on servicing routes aligned to highest passenger demand for the upcoming Winter 2023/24 season, such as core Sun destinations that see higher volumes in the winter."
A snippet of what they sent me. So it's not looking promising but they're in talks with other airlines.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamAviMech View Post
Heard from someone that works at the airport and an email from their CEO said service between Hamilton and Calgary will be 4x weekly this winter.

"details about how WestJet intends to operate routes previously serviced by Swoop will not be released until later this month. indications suggest that there will be significant reductions to routes previously offered by Swoop at Hamilton and at airports across the country due to ongoing constraints with access to operational resources. It is expected that WestJet will focus on servicing routes aligned to highest passenger demand for the upcoming Winter 2023/24 season, such as core Sun destinations that see higher volumes in the winter."
A snippet of what they sent me. So it's not looking promising but they're in talks with other airlines.
FlightTracker verifies the claim that YHM-YYC drops to a mere 4x weekly this winter. Apparently the OAG update has nothing for Hamilton in the westjet update, except for the 2 weekly YYC cuts.

Westjet really doesn’t care for YHM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 1:06 PM

This has happened over the last 4 or 5 years where Westjet has dropped to 4 flight a week to yyc.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
This has happened over the last 4 or 5 years where Westjet has dropped to 4 flight a week to yyc.
Which is fair, but I would’ve had hoped they would’ve kept some sun Swoop routes.

No longer having a winter non-stop YEG a flight is a huge blow for me. I hate doing a connection through YYC and not a huge fan of going to YYZ.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 2:44 PM

Is it possible to tell if any swoop routes at any airport were flipped to Westjet or have they all been shut down?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 2:50 PM

I don't know that it's specifically about YHM and WS' 'feelings' toward it.

The entire Swoop operation is gone. Nothing was picked up by WS with the very small exception of YXX-YEG which WS is flying twice a week -- this was also a legacy WS route prior to the creation of WO...with that exception the entirety of the WO operation is simply gone.

Diving deeper WS is leaving LGA entirely -- and YUL will be down to YYC only for the winter (YEG and YVR pick up for the summer). The continued evolution of WS is ongoing. Overall (not talking about YHM specifically) it's continued good news for PD -- and likely opens an opportunity for another player (Lynx or Flair) to stretch out a little (financing, aircraft and crew depending...).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 3:42 PM

We didn’t even get the pre-swoop westjet routes back either. Unless another update is coming.

Prior to swoop, WS served MCO, LAS, CUN and I think PVR seasonally in the winter.

Let’s see if the airport can make some magic happen for Lynx or Flair to resume some of the lost services.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 5:57 PM

WestJet also flew Hamilton to Halifax pre-Swoop. It seems crazy to me that they would abandon that route. Is it possible there are more updates still to come?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corktowner View Post
WestJet also flew Hamilton to Halifax pre-Swoop. It seems crazy to me that they would abandon that route. Is it possible there are more updates still to come?
Westjet flew, even after they left for the bright lights of YYZ, from Hamilton to - Halifax, Moncton, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Before that they also had flights to Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, and Regina. They even built-up Florida flights to 13 a week before cutting back to one to Orlando. The day they announced their departure from YHM, they were doing 27 flights a day from YHM. And most of them were full flights especially the Florida flights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure