HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:20 PM

Wine Cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Heres a link to a Wine Cave being built uptown:

http://carimiconstruction.com/

Sweeeet! That's about 3 blocks from me!!!! The only possible place it can go is the vacant commercial space next to the Vitamin Shoppe at Robert & Magazine.

Cool deal, classy. Too bad I dont have the pocket book to buy and/or store any expensive wines. Wonder if they'll have retail or serve by the glass / bottle? I'll stop by to see if I see a liquor consumption on premises notice...

I'll be there constantly if they make it a wine bar...I love Delachaise but if I can walk to this one, SOLD.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:07 PM
-

Looks pretty neat. Ill check for permits and see what I can find for the location.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:23 PM

Treatment Center

Another classic example of NIMBYs:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...nursing_h.html

Some great non-profits want to redevolop an abandoned nursing home on Esplanade into a center to help homeless people get back on their feet, but everyone's afraid of it....sigh. Because we don't have enough homeless people?

Would you rather random beggars in your neighborhood walking the streets or get them off the street and get them some help?

Hopefully the courts will overturn the board's decision. Another example of zoning,etc boards abusing power over free market decisions.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:30 PM

Old Algiers School converting to Elderly Apartments

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ll_be_tur.html

"A historic and dilapidated former Algiers school is getting new life with plans to convert the long vacant building into apartments for senior citizens and the disabled.

The former Belleville School, portions of which have been in disrepair for decades, is set to undergo a $13 million renovation to create 52 assisted-living apartments. Construction could be complete by February, said Sean Arrillaga, a vice president for St. Luke's Living Center in Algiers, one of the partners in the renovation deal....."

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:32 PM

Hindrances to NOLA Streetscape Projects Being Addressed

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...eans_stre.html

"New Orleanians have been hearing about plans for improving selected streetscapes in the city for four years, but so far they have seen precious little work.

The street improvement and beautification projects stretch across the city from Lakeview and Broadmoor to Central City, eastern New Orleans and Algiers....."

You guys have been lazy over the weekend!!!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:36 PM

Affordable apartment complexes, tailored for artists, are blossoming in New Orleans

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...e_apartme.html

"Dara Johnston's Bywater Art Loft is brimming with color downstairs and bursting with light upstairs.

The painter and sculptress's 1,085-square-foot split-level art enclave is home to her bulbous glowing mushroom commissions, her impressive superhero action figure collection, and her undeniable creativity.

Even with her teal-colored hair and bright pink lipstick, Johnston, who pays $730 a month in rent, blends right in with the other artists at the Dauphine Street apartment community, which caters to low-income artists...."

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:39 PM

Louisiana 21 traffic nightmare is progress in (constant) motion

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...nightmare.html

"Mornings spent in traffic along Louisiana 21 in St. Tammany Parish can be a nightmare. Evenings, too.

But to gauge the real impact of the burgeoning development on the roadway, John Burckell says, make the drive from Brewster Road north into Covington during your lunch hour.

"That's how you can tell how this place has grown,'' Burckell, head of the Flower Estates Civic Association, said one recent late morning, navigating through the thickening snarl. "We got Izzos and Italian Pie. We wanted 'em. Well, we got 'em....''

Can I just take a moment to snicker at all of those that left the city to get away from all those "bad" city things and now they're getting it handed right back to them!?! Hahaha....evil laugh.

At least they recognize it:

"But the explosive growth on the Louisiana 21 corridor has significant drawbacks, residents say.

"This isn't a quiet little country place anymore,'' Burckell said.""

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Another classic example of NIMBYs:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...nursing_h.html

Some great non-profits want to redevolop an abandoned nursing home on Esplanade into a center to help homeless people get back on their feet, but everyone's afraid of it....sigh. Because we don't have enough homeless people?

Would you rather random beggars in your neighborhood walking the streets or get them off the street and get them some help?

Hopefully the courts will overturn the board's decision. Another example of zoning,etc boards abusing power over free market decisions.

This isnt as black and white as you think! Have you ever heard of Ozanam Inn? If that thing were to finally close the WareHouse District would be very happy. Not totally clear what they are proposing here but I doubt Id want it next to where I live.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:19 PM
-

Quote:
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...nightmare.html

"Mornings spent in traffic along Louisiana 21 in St. Tammany Parish can be a nightmare. Evenings, too.

But to gauge the real impact of the burgeoning development on the roadway, John Burckell says, make the drive from Brewster Road north into Covington during your lunch hour.

"That's how you can tell how this place has grown,'' Burckell, head of the Flower Estates Civic Association, said one recent late morning, navigating through the thickening snarl. "We got Izzos and Italian Pie. We wanted 'em. Well, we got 'em....''

Can I just take a moment to snicker at all of those that left the city to get away from all those "bad" city things and now they're getting it handed right back to them!?! Hahaha....evil laugh.

At least they recognize it:

"But the explosive growth on the Louisiana 21 corridor has significant drawbacks, residents say.

"This isn't a quiet little country place anymore,'' Burckell said.""
It is ironic for sure! I laughed when a friend of mine moved to I think Brady Island for seclusion and literally a year later there was a target and every other big box chain a quarter mile away. At least in NOLA our density is actually pretty and unique.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Not totally clear what they are proposing here but I doubt Id want it next to where I live.
See above for the textbook definition of "NIMBY".

I'm really not sure what they are proposing but I'm against it?

Wow.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:24 PM
-

Quote:
Sweeeet! That's about 3 blocks from me!!!! The only possible place it can go is the vacant commercial space next to the Vitamin Shoppe at Robert & Magazine.

Cool deal, classy. Too bad I dont have the pocket book to buy and/or store any expensive wines. Wonder if they'll have retail or serve by the glass / bottle? I'll stop by to see if I see a liquor consumption on premises notice...

I'll be there constantly if they make it a wine bar...I love Delachaise but if I can walk to this one, SOLD.
Found the permit for this project. Strangely enough it was pulled in 2009. Doesnt look like this will be a place for you to drink at though!

Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 4933 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
Contractor:
DAVID CARIMI
CARIMI CONSTRUCTION & DEVELOPMENT LLC
1509 ST CHARLES AVE
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70130
Home Phone: 521-800-0
RESIDENT 07REG-00116

Project Description:
CONVERT 2ND FLOOR RESIDENTIAL UNITS IN A MIX USE BUILDING INTO A WINE CELLAR AS PER PLANS AND ORDINANCE #23313.(4933 MAGAZINE ST-WINE CELLAR, 4935 MAGAZINE ST-RETAIL VITAMIN SHOP)
Owner:
4935 MAGAZINE ST LLC
1955 OLD BALLARD FARM LANE
CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 22901

More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$300,000.00Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
No
Application Information
COM_BUILDINGExisting use: Mixed Occupancy
Proposed Use: Mixed Occupancy
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Residential Units: 0
No. of Commercial Units: 2
No. of Floors: 2
No. of Existing Electric Meters: 2
Plan Review Required: Yes
Sketch Attached: No
Plans Attached: Yes

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
See above for the textbook definition of "NIMBY".

I'm really not sure what they are proposing but I'm against it?

Wow.
Ok you misquoted me a bit but I will admit there is a better way to explain my concerns. What are the guarantees about what they are building. If the project is executed and maintained the way they are saying then it doesnt seem like it will be a problem. Thats a big if there!
Admittedly, i dont know enough about the project to fully comment just dont think we need to brandish people negatively right away because they are anxious about something in their hood.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Ok you misquoted me a bit but I will admit there is a better way to explain my concerns. What are the guarantees about what they are building. If the project is executed and maintained the way they are saying then it doesnt seem like it will be a problem. Thats a big if there!
Admittedly, i dont know enough about the project to fully comment just dont think we need to brandish people negatively right away because they are anxious about something in their hood.
I think it's pretty hard to argue that I misquoted you when I just used the "quote" feature from your post.

What are the guarantees about what they are building? Wouldn't you agree that those are found in the zoning, permit and occupancy license? If they are in compliance with those what else would they be required to guarantee?

Any NIMBY-driver fear that you may have can be addressed via provisos and this type of development serves a critical need in a city that has large numbers of it's population struggling with addiction.

It's not like if you stop this facility from opening that the problem will simply go away or not exist within this neighborhood.

It just becomes a homeless problem in this area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:12 AM
-

So you think the only people that will use this facility are the homeless in the area? really? Im pretty sure a facility that is offering these services will attract more homeless to that area. That just seems like common sense, and being that they are homeless they arent exactly going to be rushing home after whatever it is they were there for.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:15 AM
-

New Bids on Dodge Report:

I'm really excited about this one since I live on this street:

LA/DOT Tchoupitoulas St (Canal - Calliope)Asphalt Overlay/Patching
201100503437 v. 2
Dodge Project Report
Paving,
Storm Sewer Bidding $2,500,000 LA (Orleans) Jun 29, 2011

Treme Center (Renovations)

200800877385 v. 8
Dodge Project Report
Social Club,
Miscellaneous Recreational GC Bidding $4,557,132 LA (Orleans) Jun 24, 2011

LA/DOT Ramp Connectors 700260228
201100423360 v. 2
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Spec and Addenda
Paving,
Highway Signs/Guardrails,
Storm Sewer Bidding $50,000,000 LA (Jefferson) Jun 29, 2011

Renovation of an educational facility in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovations of an existing five-story, 213-unit collegiate residence hall and will include exterior renovations to preserve the architectural integrity as well...Click here for complete Project Details

[New project.] 1610487 New Orleans, LA Educational
06/06/2011
Description Renovation of an educational facility in New Orleans. Completed working plans call for historic exterior renovation of a 20,017-square-foot university hall. The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Sub...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:32 AM
TL;DR

Good to hear about Tchoup. The city's full of crappy streets, obviously, but Tchoup is one of the few rough streets in the Warehouse District.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:37 AM

Quote:
So you think the only people that will use this facility are the homeless in the area? really? Im pretty sure a facility that is offering these services will attract more homeless to that area. That just seems like common sense, and being that they are homeless they arent exactly going to be rushing home after whatever it is they were there for.
Holy misquoting, Batman.

No, what I'm saying that if you do not provide facilities like this then those who are struggling with addiction don't just magically disappear.

They hit rock bottom, lose their jobs, commit crimes and yes, become homeless.

To say facilities like this ATTRACT the homeless is a journey to the absurd, not common sense.

You won't have to worry about attracting the homeless if you stubbornly refuse to provide for facilities and services like this to fight and treat addiction.

The city will just continue to mass produce them with none of the tools needed to cure a diseases that currently affects a significant portion of its population.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:11 PM

Also...the ramp connector project is the much anticipated widening of I-10 between Clearview and Vets. The project includes the additional lane that connects the on/off ramps and a sound wall for the neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Also...the ramp connector project is the much anticipated widening of I-10 between Clearview and Vets. The project includes the additional lane that connects the on/off ramps and a sound wall for the neighborhoods.
I know its just an interstate project but I think it will make the ride from the airport into city much nicer when this project is finished~

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I know its just an interstate project but I think it will make the ride from the airport into city much nicer when this project is finished~
Absolutely! I already really enjoy the ride from Clearview into the city! I can't wait for Causeway @ I-10 to be completed, and for the extra lane to finally open up. Now I wish they would expand from Vets through Williams/Airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations