HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:06 PM

The City of Saskatoon is in negotiations with the highest-ranked proponent from a tender to find a new tenant for the Farmers’ Market Building in River Landing.

Those discussion are expected to conclude later this spring, according to a news release from city administration.

The city has also approved an application to hold a farmers’ market as an extension of the adjacent annual Street Stall Saturdays, which will run May to September.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/negotia...says-1.4840657

I’m confused.. is the new tenant that they’re negotiating with not a farmers market then? I’d be really excited if it’s a federated co-op grocery store that’s focused solely on local - similar to Eataly in New York and now Toronto. This would be a great addition to the downtown that would make our river feature something not even offered at The Forks in Winnipeg. Would definitely be a incentivizer for more construction on those open lots. Saskatchewan’s food processing sector is the fastest growing in the country! I loved how SaskMade had a downtown shop over Christmas at Midtown (not sure if it’s still open).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 2:02 AM

Tower going up at Broadway and Main for Baydo’s tower

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 2:10 PM

Is the underground parking complete at the Baydo condo or is it just beginning?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:07 PM

As of a week ago when I looked in the hole, I'd say that the parkade work was just beginning.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:54 AM

Some pics from the blizzard a week or so ago from @mitch_wies on Instagram

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 9:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:50 PM

I saw that New Brunswick as part of the covid-19 emergency measures has halted all construction, unless related to essential service.

Anyone know what is happening at our major sites (riverlanding, escala, broadway)....are they still active?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 8:23 PM

This news was understandably buried yesterday, but the release of provincial spending priorities includes the following that will impact our core neighbourhoods:

"In Saskatoon, the report includes funding to consolidate Princess Alexandra, King George and Pleasant Hill elementary schools into a new school."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.5502618

I'm curious which site this new district school will be built on, but my guess would be Princess Alexandra or Pleasant Hill given that they're more centrally located. Losing Princess Alexandra to demolition would be no love lost from me (the heritage school on that site is long gone), but it begs the question what the future of the other two beautiful old school buildings will be? I really hope that they can both be saved and repurposed (King George especially).

And while it is very good news that these neighbouhoods will be seeing this public investment in a new facility and (I assume) improved programming and services, I am a bit weary about the province's approach with these "super schools", especially when integrating them into these older neighbourhoods where these small schools serve as essential anchors of neighbourhood units. I understand that there are probably all sorts of economies of scale and efficiencies realized with this approach, but it seems like there's something lost with losing this scattering of smaller schools.

A final thought: They need to invest in good architecture for this school. The aesthetic of the suburban jailhouse schools will not do.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 12:11 AM

I particularly like the king George building (although pleasant Hill is also a very handsome building) and I wonder if it could be given a second life as some sort of community studio for artists. With the rejuvenation of Riverdale I don't think it would be so far fetched to see that spill over towards the king George area and this kinda development would maybe speed that up.

Really anything besides a wrecking ball though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I saw that New Brunswick as part of the covid-19 emergency measures has halted all construction, unless related to essential service.

Anyone know what is happening at our major sites (riverlanding, escala, broadway)....are they still active?
The report that I saw on New Brunswick's State of Emergency Declaration specifically said construction activities are not prohibited: "The premier reiterated that construction activities continue and that they are not prohibited under this declaration."
There was still activity at Escala and Baydo today. I wasn't near River Landing but I expect there is no change there either. I would assume they have implemented some stringent hygiene, sanitation and social distancing protocols under their safely plans.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
I would assume they have implemented some stringent hygiene, sanitation and social distancing protocols under their safely plans.
Yes, that is exactly what is happening on construction sites. In fact, you'll see workers with their tape measures out, ensuring that people are keeping their distance, only half joking. In addition to increased hygiene measure, contractors are also conducting questioning of all workers on site to identify any who may be more likely to have an elevated risk of COVID-10 infection. Those people are typically not allowed on site.

From all information that I have received from other contractors, as well as various construction associations, there are no plans to suspend work on sites, nor to limit to under 50 workers on a project. It's not as if you have large quantities of workers massed together at once and all large site-wide meeting have been curtailed and replace by either one on one meetings (properly distanced) or multi-person, audio or video meetings.

Unless mandated otherwise, it is the intent of the Construction Industry to continue work on project sites under these modified work procedures.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 2:30 PM

This picture doesn’t do it justice on the size of Escala. It’s a beautiful behemoth. Glass is starting to go up.

Halfway up on Nutrien Tower! They’re so chugging away! Since they can wear masks and what not I don’t see why they’d stop. The noise is very loud around there so I would assume it’s good that the other office tower is empty while they do the big parts of construction. I feel bad for the No1 River Lansing condo owners putting up with that noise for the next year..

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 10:05 PM

Digging has started at the other Baydo project? I have a perfect view for constant updates if so!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:15 PM

Not specifically construction related, but 2 nights ago we started putting on our xmas lights again (yes, we still had not got around to taking them down). We did this as I had read a few houses in different cities were starting to do this as a show of social bonding instead of social isolation in these current times.
Since then, I have seen this is becoming a bit more of a movement and even noticed just in the 2 nights we have done this, a few other houses on our street have joined in.
So I encourage all of you to turn on your lights for the next little while, to show we are together in this fight against the pandemic.
#LightsForLife

Last edited by prairieguy; Mar 23, 2020 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:25 PM
Has been

Related to the Baydo Broadway construction. Since it presumably all ended well we can have a much needed chuckle during these trying times.

Man Arrested After Climbing Crane

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Not specifically construction related, but 2 nights ago we started putting on our xmas lights again (yes, we still had not got around to taking them down). We did this as I had read a few houses in different cities were starting to do this as a shoe of social bonding instead of social isolation in these current times.
Since then, I have seen this is becoming a bit more of a movement and even noticed just in the 2 nights we have done this, a few other houses on our street have joined in.
So I encourage all of you to turn on your lights for the next little while, to show we are together in this fight against the pandemic.
#LightsForLife
Amazing!!! ❤️

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
Related to the Baydo Broadway construction. Since it presumably all ended well we can have a much needed chuckle during these trying times.

Man Arrested After Climbing Crane
Apparently, he was clad only in his underwear during this escapade.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:28 AM

Hey guys, I whipped up a quick Google Earth model of the future Saskatoon skyline today. Even though there aren't many developments, I still very much enjoyed modelling them through this trying time. I've included the River Landing, Highpoint, and the Baydo development on 5th so far.

Hope you all enjoy!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 5:26 AM

Great work, thank you!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:11 PM

This is exciting to see. Now to figure out what sites have been for sale or could have been for sale for approximately $9 million. Given how impressive the SPL's business plan was for this project, I do anticipate that this new central library will have a major effect on the downtown and will end up being a significant city-wide draw, so wherever it goes should have impact on other future developments.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-f1d346143687/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan