HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:37 AM

LAFD Station 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this a few minutes ago on ebay. -It's somewhat of a strange looking make & model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-LOS-ANG...item566f6300f6

There's more front than there is a back. (where are they suppose put the ladder?)

reverse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-LOS-ANG...item566f6300f6

Off the top of my head I can't remember where Engine House #50 was located.

__
Station 50 at the time this was taken, was on what is now W. 11th Place. the following is from lafire.com

Fire Station 50
1524 Winfield Place
(Winfield changed to W. 11th Pl.)

Station is long gone.

Station Closed in 1950. Reopened in 1958 at 3036 Fletcher Dr in Glassell Park, just east of the recently discussed Van de Kamps Bakery.

The Engine is a 1938 American La France Pumper. Constructed in Elmira NY. Sad to say that ALF closed their doors for good on January 17th of last year, after having roots that go back 175 years.

Hope that helps,

Casey

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
It reminds me of this building on La Brea and Edgewood about a mile north of the 10 fwy. I've driven by it hundreds of times over the years and always wished somebody could do something better with it as far as paint and restoration goes. It looks like it's from the same period but perhaps a little more faux and gimmicky looking and maybe a little newer but it has a certain dignity about it. I'd love to see an older, norish photo of it.

There is also another, very similar building, built around the same time, which is just to the left of the entrance gates to Warner Brothers offices ( the old building) on Olive in Burbank. I recall there being some kind of retail stores in there as late as maybe the early 70's but now it appears to be offices for Warners. It is built with a rounded corner, some small "porthole" windows on one side, a Spanish tile roof, balconies on at least the street side and a small cupola with a weather vane. I can't find an earlier picture of it, and it has been remodeled fairly recently with some of the more elaborate details removed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:22 PM

Thanks for the information on LAFD station #50 C. King.
__

I came across this mid-sized apparatus last night on ebay.

The sellers description is thus = "Los Angeles County Crown Firecoach Engine Apparatus Madderom."
__

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
There is also another, very similar building, built around the same time, which is just to the left of the entrance gates to Warner Brothers offices ( the old building) on Olive in Burbank. I recall there being some kind of retail stores in there as late as maybe the early 70's but now it appears to be offices for Warners. It is built with a rounded corner, some small "porthole" windows on one side, a Spanish tile roof, balconies on at least the street side and a small cupola with a weather vane. I can't find an earlier picture of it, and it has been remodeled fairly recently with some of the more elaborate details removed.
Is this the building oldstuff?

GSV

I wonder what the statue/weathervane is on top? It looks like an Indian holding a scalp.
__

EDIT:

I think it might be Bugs Bunny. lol

detail/GSV
__

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:05 PM

It is Bugs Bunny, and in full color too!

ltenney1225 on flickr

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:34 PM

Here's an excellent view of Alameda and Main Streets in 1955.

ebay

Halfway down the block is the Italian Hall which still stands at Main Street and E. Cesar E. Chavez Avenue
The other buildings in the center of the photograph (and on this side of the Italian Hall) have been wiped out by a Chevron Station.
I believe the sign on the building (above the street-car) says Union Hotel and Apts.
Does anyone know some history on the building on the corner (in the center) where Alameda & Main meet?
__

Here's the scene today. That whole triangle wiped out.

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2015 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:54 PM

Tetsu, I looked down Ave. 34 between the old Repossessed Furniture and Basta's Market buildings.

view from Eagle Rock Blvd.

I noticed an interesting blade sign in the shape of an arrow.

GSV detail

It's a pretty cool vintage sign, and I imagine it used to have neon.
It would be great to... #1 steal it (I'm kidding), #2 refurbish it and replace the original neon, #3 hang it in my loft (if I had a loft )
__

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:18 PM

Stylish Mother and child on the grounds of the Ambassador Hotel, Los Angeles.

old file of mine / possibly ebay
__

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:

Here's an excellent view of Alameda and Main Streets in 1955.

ebay
I posted this color picture of the Union Hotel Rooms last June. It looks like the buildings closer to the Alameda and Main intersection had already gone by 1956, only one year after the picture above. The full post includes a couple of other angles and "then and now" comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

HDL incorrectly title this picture as "Macy and Alameda Streets". Macy Street, the old name of East Cesar E Chavez Avenue, is where the bus is turning, but it's North Main Street that dominates the picture (Alameda is just out of shot to the left). This picture shows the building above in June 1956 - not long before demolition.

Huntington Digital Library

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:58 PM

Quote:

I noticed an interesting blade sign in the shape of an arrow.

GSV detail

It's a pretty cool vintage sign, and I imagine it used to have neon.
It would be great to... #1 steal it (I'm kidding), #2 refurbish it and replace the original neon, #3 hang it in my loft (if I had a loft )
A bit of Googling indicates that the weathered exterior signage hides a modern recording studio. Although the website for Avenue 34 Studios doesn't list an address, several other sites mention 2712 W Avenue 34. Good news, e_r - they have working neon on the inside!

www.facebook.com

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:13 PM

I had no idea! I thought that place was vacant. -actually I thought the whole street was vacant.

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2015 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:43 PM

Wig-Wag, I found another photograph of that protester beetle.

ebay

I searched for this corner on GSV, but couldn't find where Maple intersects with 7th Street. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong
I wanted to see if the building that housed Charlie's (and furnished rooms upstairs) was still standing. It looks especially L.A. 'noirish' in this photograph.

The first photograph of the beetle I posted actually has Wig_Wag in it. See it here.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25155
__

*Jack, I re-visited ebay to get the link to the photo in case you wanted to buy it, but I couldn't located it.
I'm pretty sure it had 4 days left on the auction.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 10:22 PM

This is the intersection where Charlie's 10 and 15 once stood at 239 E 7th Street. I think it's the same building, although it's been modified.

GSV

You were right about the eBay listing, e_r. There's still just over four days left. The current bidding is at $6:

Los Angeles MTA VW "Bug" Protest Car ahead of 3094 PCC orig 620 Rect.B&W neg

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 10:23 PM

LATL 5 Line Supplementary Location ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
(Sorry if this has already been identified)

I could be way off base, but I'm getting a very strong West L.A. feel here. No, I can't identify any of the buildings, but I lived at the corner of Barrington and Ohio Avenues for over a dozen years. Before that I went to HS in the same neighborhood, although much longer ago, and I feel like I remember some of the buildings, which would have since been remodeled or replaced beyond recognition.

Sorry I can't do any better.

ebay

As noted in HossC's post, this is the end of the Los Angeles Transit Lines No.5 line at Colorado and Eaglerock Boulevards after it was cut back from Colorado and Townsend on April 18, 1948. The building to what is now front of the streetcar (note the door open to the safety island and trailing trolley pole) is still with us today and stands one half block down at the intersection of Eaglerock and Merton.

"Remnants of the 5 Line are captured in this image dated June 15, 1948, at Townsend Avenue as part of the Los Angeles Transit Lines' abandonment."

This view shows the removal of the tracks at Colorado and Townsend after the the line was cut back to Colorado and Eagle Rock Boulevards on April 18, 1948. The view looks east on Colorado boulevard. Note the California Hwy 134 sign on the pole to the extreme right.

The 5 Line was converted to buses on May 21, 1955.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 10:26 PM

Car identification question

Hello to all the car experts here, I was wondering if you might have a guesstimate for the model year of the following:

...with many apologies for the pixellation.

I am (with some help from HossC) trying to locate one of e_r's Yellow Cars from a few pages ago. I am not happy with my original suggestion, and knowing the date (or at least a lower limit for the date) would help my searches through the CDs. Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

This is a screencap of a 1937 film called BIG CITY, starring Luise Rainer and Spencer Tracy. It show's the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Cosmo Street. Nancy's is visible there and across Cosmo Street a place called Delphene's. The film, by the way, is set in New York City.

Warner Home Video
Quote:

Martin_Pal, if the film is set in New York City, why would the film makers choose a corner that has a 'Hollywood Citizen' sign?

...or did they travel to Hollywood in the film?
The car chase occurs slightly over 10 minutes before the end of the movie. It starts off in New York (Jack Dempsey's, Trans-Lux Theatre etc.), but then switches to Los Angeles. This shot at Hollywood and Ivar shows the Taft Building in the background, although the "Broadway Hollywood" sign isn't illuminated. On the right is the I Magnin building. The streets seem to be lined with people watching the chase being filmed.

MGM Home Video

On a sad note, one of the stars of 'Big City', Luise Rainer, died just over two weeks ago (12/30/14). She was 104!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The car chase occurs slightly over 10 minutes before the end of the movie. It starts off in New York (Jack Dempsey's, Trans-Lux Theatre etc.), but then switches to Los Angeles. This shot at Hollywood and Ivar shows the Taft Building in the background, although the "Broadway Hollywood" sign isn't illuminated. On the right is the I Magnin building. The streets seem to be lined with people watching the chase being filmed.

MGM Home Video

On a sad note, one of the stars of 'Big City', Luise Rainer, died just over two weeks ago (12/30/14). She was 104!
Luise Rainer

Google img.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Martin_Pal, if the film is set in New York City, why would the film makers choose a corner that has a 'Hollywood Citizen' sign?

...or did they travel to Hollywood in the film?
__
***I see HossC answered...

Probably just one of those things they thought no one would really notice, although the Hollywood Broadway sign isn't lit, as HossC pointed out. It's a fast moving chase scene. Maybe they had some kind of Hollywood stores in New York like we have New York Deli's and the like.

I was watching Cagney & Lacy once (set in New York) and a bus came by on the scene that advertised it going to "Los Angeles Street." Quite a journey!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information on LAFD station #50 C. King.
__

I came across this mid-sized apparatus last night on ebay.

The sellers description is thus = "Los Angeles County Crown Firecoach Engine Apparatus Madderom."
__
Early 60's Crown Firecoach sitting in front of its station at 3907 W. 54th St. in the View Park section of town. Here is the station, which is still active, even though it probably doesn't look like it.

photo by me

The Firecoach was a victim of Crown's own doing. They were so well built, they hardly ever broke down. Crown Coach closed its doors in the mid 80's. Crown also built the iconic Crown school buses on the west coast as well. They were located southeast of downtown LA.

Well known photographer in the firebuffing world, Madderom refers to Chuck Madderom.

Last edited by C. King; Jan 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 1:16 AM

-thanks for the interesting information C. King. That's quite a forlorn looking station.
__

After a rudimentary search on NLA, I don't believe we've seen this map before.

Prudent Beaudry's 1868 map showcasing five different tracts of land, all owned by Mr. Beaudry.

http://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/c...udrys-1868-la/

In an accompanying article, titled "L.A.'s Two Lost Hilltop Gardens", Beaudry's two parks are discussed. (with many details I wasn't aware of)
http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...s-gardens.html

"To advertise the potential of his hilltop tracts, in early 1870s Prudence Beaudry transformed two barren knolls into Bellevue Terrace and Beaudry Park, Edenic landscapes that, though privately owned, welcomed the public to visit."

"Vistas were certainly the highlight of Bellevue Terrace. Perched atop a 70 foot hill that no longer exists (it's the site of the Central Library today), this 6.5 acre garden overlooked the growing city below and the pastoral countryside beyond. Clear days offered glimpses of the Pacific. But there were spectacles inside the garden too. High-pressure hoses cast water high into the air -"a refreshing sight" in the words of Los Angeles Herald scribe. And within the garden's eucalypus-lined perimeter, a grove of some 500 fruit-bearing orange and lime trees stood in an orderly grid. The Austrian prince and naturalist Ludwig Salvador visited in 1876 and left thoroughly enchanted, describing Bellevue Terrace as "a perfect jewel."

"Further west was Beaudry Park. The 8-acre private reserve rose above the canyon that today carries Sunset Boulevard between the city's downtown and Echo Park districts.
Here Beaudry's landscape gardener, Francis Tamiet, planted a veritable forest of fruit and ornamental trees: 475 oranges, 2,600 Mexican limes, 1,200 gums, 1,000 cypresses, and 100 Monterey pines."

"Bellevue Terrace and Beaudry Park might have become crown jewels of Los Angeles' parks system, but Los Angeles in the 1870s possessed only the rudiments of an organized public parks movement. Ultimately, Beaudry placed his two gardens on the market soon after he liquidated the surrounding real estate tracts. In 1881 the state purchased Belleview Terrace for the site of the California State Normal School, a teaching college that eventually became UCLA. When the Los Angeles Central Library replaced the college in 1926, construction crews graded the hill out of existence."

"Beaudry Park, meanwhile, was purchased in 1883 by the Sisters of Charity. On that site (now occupied by the Elysium apartment building and Holy Hill Community Church) the sisters placed their new infirmary, repurposing Beaudry's fruit trees and cypresses into a soothing backdrop for their patients."

below is a view of Beaudry Park. (circular...at the bottom. -if you look closely, it's labeled as Park)

http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4364l.pm000260/

Bellevue Terrace is visible in the map at the top.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 16, 2015 at 2:48 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos