HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw340 View Post
Having just come back from the Pacific Northwest, it was disheartening to see so many cranes both in Portland and Seattle (I mean as a Sacramentan --good for them!), and after checking Skyscraper it turns out most of them are residential ...I mean, they're struggling here to get 2 (residential) towers up...it's just frustrating ....I did notice most of them are in the 15-30 story range, and i truly believe we should've concentrated on getting started with smaller scale projects before going grand scale...oh well, just my .02 cents
Very true. Seems like most west coast cities are making huge efforts to modernize and clean up their downtowns along with building many mid rise housing projects which have given way to high-rise housing projects. San Diego has done an amazing job with their downtown and gas lamp quarter and so have the pacific north west cities. The bay area is doing OK but modernizing nonetheless. It's kind of sad to drive/walk around Sac and feel like you've been transported 30 years back. Hopefully things will pick up and many more ambitious projects come to fruition. Now that cheap housing is gone in Sac its time for there to be a new lure to say and do business here.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 10:37 PM

Sacramento is behind other "West Coast" cities in a lot of areas not just the whole downtown/urban housing thing. We have a serious problem with a lack of a 'cool factor' here. We say we want what Portland, Seattle and Vancouver have but so many people here still do not realize that it doesn't start with buildings -it starts with people. And Sacramento does not go out of it's way to encourage the "creative classes" (which typically is more urban-oriented.)

When local Christian-fundamentalist terrorist cells are harassing and murdering gay people (theres more going on than what's reported), and they are picketing the Crest Theater every Sunday because it shows gay films and when Old Sacramento goes out of thier way to cater to the 'uncreative class' -we've still got a long way to go.

Our city is still too suburban-oriented because our city's political structure is dominated by the suburbs. Until that changes we won't see real progress in Sacramento. A growing number of people here do 'get it' but there's still too many people who don't.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:14 PM

For the sake of everyone else on can we please resist delving into the religious/political angles.... uughghhh.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:22 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
For the sake of everyone else on can we please resist delving into the religious/political angles.... uughghhh.
They can't help themselves...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Sacramento is behind other "West Coast" cities in a lot of areas not just the whole downtown/urban housing thing. We have a serious problem with a lack of a 'cool factor' here. We say we want what Portland, Seattle and Vancouver have but so many people here still do not realize that it doesn't start with buildings -it starts with people. And Sacramento does not go out of it's way to encourage the "creative classes" (which typically is more urban-oriented.)
I wouldn't necessarily say that--according to some of my Sacramento-expatriate acquaintances in Portland, people talk about the Sacramento scene the way we talk about the Portland scene. Maybe it's just a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing. Besides, there is a heck of a lot happening here on the "creative class" end of things, even in Old Sacramento. It's just not as well-publicized.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
They don't have the guts to debate their opinions with others who might know more than
they do... so they dribble their tired religious/political rants here.

Keep it up guys... close another thead

Current Events

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 11:44 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that--according to some of my Sacramento-expatriate acquaintances in Portland, people talk about the Sacramento scene the way we talk about the Portland scene. Maybe it's just a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing. Besides, there is a heck of a lot happening here on the "creative class" end of things, even in Old Sacramento. It's just not as well-publicized.
I agree with this completely. Nearly every town works to get higher on the "cool" scale. They have the same worries in San Diego and SD is pretty darn cool.

Part of the problem is confidence: something Sacramento really does lack. The region does finally seem to realize that turning university research into marketable products is a good thing (that pesky private market again...). UCSD (my alma mater) has been doing this for years through the CONNECT program and the results are outstanding.

I know UC Davis has recently started a similar program and I would hope Sac State isn't far behind. The idea is to keep the creative types home after graduation and not force them to move to "cooler" locales.

Sacramento has so much going for it. Mid-town is among the truly great emerging eclectic neighborhoods in the country. As those creative types get older, East Sac is one of the finest family neighborhoods anywhere and Land Park/Curtis Park/McClatchy Park areas are superb.

The combination of great universities, tolerant and accepting neighborhoods with beautiful Victorians shaded by Elm tree canopies combined with truly outstanding recreational facilities should make Sacramento one of the great emerging "cool" cities of the 21st Century.

It just has to believe in itself.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:46 AM

TB those are very nice sentiments and I appreciate your optimism but quite frankly it's not as idealistic as you make it out to be. With all due repects, if someone doesn't live in the central city I don't see how they can really make a fair judgement of. Sacramento isn't close to being as 'cool' as some people here would like to think this town is. I'm a San Diego native myself. I know when people in SD worry about 'coolness' it's not like on same (low) level as here Sacramento. People in San Diego think Sacramento is a cowtown.

wb don't patronize me with that "grass is always greener on the other side" bs. I've lived in enough 'real' cities to know the difference. If anyone thinks there is a strong support for the "creative class" in this city then I think they need get out and see what's going on in the rest world. Sacramento is not a cool city. There are people who try. But too many people in this town settle for inoffensive, risk[less] crap.

Finally, I'm not expressing a bias but a reality. If you are offended by that -too damn bad. I think it's sick to call what I wrote as dribble and a tired religious/political rant. Stick to the pics. As Bono said "I don't mean to bug ya" -with the facts. I'm not arguing the merits of anyone's relgious beliefs (I don't care if you pray to little green men) -I'm talking about a serious mark on our city's reputation. The recent hate crime got national press and is a serious matter. And maybe you aren't in the downtown [you claim to support so much] enough to see the problems. I'm not calling attention to these groups because I like to. What kind of sick mind talks about having 'guts' when talking about hate crimes?
Actually I know quite a bit about relgion and would debate anyone about it. But I wasn't debating religion in my post -I guess some people in here are too dumb to know the difference.

Do you think this doesn't perpetuate Sacramento cowtown image? I'm sick of neo-cons in this forum always 'getting their digs in" about the liberals and injecting their beliefs in their posts but then hypocritically getting offended when someone counters with a different opinion. I also love it how people only take a small bit of what I say and draw all sorts of stupid conclusions by it. I think this forum may be a waste of my time.
Now that's a rant!

Last edited by ozone; Jul 24, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:25 AM

^I agree for the most part on your politics and, yes, it's a shame that part of our city's reputation is made by some religious fringe zealots. However, i've noticed more and more political vitriol on these pages. Isn't this thread supposed to be about the fate of the crater on capital mall? Everytime I tune into the forums, it's more of this stupid back and forth between the usual suspects.

Anyways, I don't know how you quantify "cool". I think Midtown is cool, but maybe that is just because i'm a cowtown hick? who knows. Perhaps if you're so unhappy here, ozone, you can move to another city? Sacramento will never be another portland, SD, austin, but something totally it's own and I want to watch that evolution.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:51 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
TB those are very nice sentiments and I appreciate your optimism but quite frankly it's not as idealistic as you make it out to be. With all due repects, if someone doesn't live in the central city I don't see how they can really make a fair judgement of. Sacramento isn't close to being as 'cool' as some people here would like to think this town is. I'm a San Diego native myself. I know when people in SD worry about 'coolness' it's not like on same (low) level as here Sacramento. People in San Diego think Sacramento is a cowtown.

wb don't patronize me with that "grass is always greener on the other side" bs. I've lived in enough 'real' cities to know the difference. If anyone thinks there is a strong support for the "creative class" in this city then I think they need get out and see what's going on in the rest world. Sacramento is not a cool city. There are people who try. But too many people in this town settle for inoffensive, risk[less] crap.

Finally, I'm not expressing a bias but a reality. If you are offended by that -too damn bad. I think it's sick to call what I wrote as dribble and a tired religious/political rant. Stick to the pics. As Bono said "I don't mean to bug ya" -with the facts. I'm not arguing the merits of anyone's relgious beliefs (I don't care if you pray to little green men) -I'm talking about a serious mark on our city's reputation. The recent hate crime got national press and is a serious matter. And maybe you aren't in the downtown [you claim to support so much] enough to see the problems. I'm not calling attention to these groups because I like to. What kind of sick mind talks about having 'guts' when talking about hate crimes?
Actually I know quite a bit about relgion and would debate anyone about it. But I wasn't debating religion in my post -I guess some people in here are too dumb to know the difference.

Do you think this doesn't perpetuate Sacramento cowtown image? I'm sick of neo-cons in this forum always 'getting their digs in" about the liberals and injecting their beliefs in their posts but then hypocritically getting offended when someone counters with a different opinion. I also love it how people only take a small bit of what I say and draw all sorts of stupid conclusions by it. I think this forum may be a waste of my time.
Now that's a rant!
Well ozone, based on the bulk of your incoherent rants on these pages, I'm not at all surprised that this is how you see Sacramento. That's your choice - but it just confirms that you really put the "rant" into "ignorant."

Here in San Diego, we also have our share of hate crimes, we have our share of religious protests, we have our share of violence. We also have our share - as does Sacramento - of tolerant, giving, smart, ambitious and "Creative" people. Most towns are like that. Sacramento is discovering it has nothing more or less to be ashamed of than does any city in the country. It is also discovering that it has a great deal of which it can be proud. It is nowhere near where many would like it to be. It is already too far along for some. But that describes almost any city in the country.

Sacramento will never be San Diego, or San Francisco or LA. Some of that is for the better, some for the worst. But it can offer a unique experience that is completely enriching and fulfilling. It has all of the pieces in place. I don't have to live in Sacramento anymore to see that. It's too bad you can't see that and choose instead to focus rather unpleasantly on the negative. Not that long ago San Diego was also considered a backwater, particularly by people in LA and SF. Many thought of it as a pleasant little town dominated by the Navy. Now San Diego is justifiably a dynamic, diversified metropolis considered by most among the most desirable cities in the country. I won't argue with that assessment (although it's pretty tough on project managers these days). But Sacramento can and is making a similar transformation.

And please ozone - I'm not offended by anything you write. Although I would prefer we all stick to development in general and skyscrapers in particular in Sacramento. I will occasionally answer your mindless squealing and it certainly is amusing, but c'mon, you'd have to improve quite a bit to call it "dribble." I have no problem defending my positions w/o screeching to an admin. And I don't have to resort to tired U-2 lyrics to do it. If you don't want politics interjected into a thread, then don't do it. If someone wants to say a developer won't go all "Bush" or that a certain channel is the equivalent of a newspaper whose audience is "pathological tightwads, seriously senile people who think Nixon is still in the White House, losers who think that by always being on the wrong side of an issue somehow makes them more hip and righteous to boot, religious weirdos who think the devil invented government (minus the military)" then they're going to get called on it. I certainly didn't introduce those characterizations. You and your comrades did. In the interest of full disclosure: I have called Bee readers "bedwetters." I hope you can forgive me.

You know, I'd hate to see you go. But you might be right... this forum may be a waste of your time. You seem incapable of discussing any topic without turning it in to a political tirade. Just don't expect to get a free pass on it.

Now I must run - Fox News is running a special tonight on great, influential metropolitan newspapers and they're using the Sacramento Union as a prime example and then I have to listen to my download of the Rush Limbaugh show to be followed by my resubscribing to the American Standard. The bad news is you probably don't realize that's a joke.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:34 AM

Fact: Sacramento is the #7 city in America for gay people!
Fact: Sacramento is a changing city that is coming into it's own!
Fact: The Towers are, for now, as dead as the argument that Sacramento has a reputation for being an anti-gay city!
Fact: MOST American cities are predominantly Democrat! (there is, therefore, a correlation between urban life and political affiliation...generally speaking!)
Fact: They STILL have the Phase 4 Now Selling Banners at the 301 CM site!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:01 AM
Kodachrome

Seriously guys, your all (insert name here) are doing a GREAT job to de-rail
another yet another thread to get it CLOSED!!!

Is there a high pressure system over the area that has caused you all to lose it?

Why don’t one of you over zealous religious/political type who can’t help their
selves create a thread devoted to your soap box issues so all future rants
will have there proper place. Wouldn’t that suck if fflint closed yet another
thread because of you numbskulls’?

Four closed in one month, that would be a record… how dysfunctional can
Sacramentans be??? You know who I'm talking about people

Last edited by innov8; Jul 24, 2007 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Seriously guys, your all (insert name here) are doing a GREAT job to de-rail
another yet another thread to get it CLOSED!!!

Is there a high pressure system over the area that has caused you all to lose it?

Why don’t one of you over zealous religious/political type who can’t help their
selves create a thread devoted to your soap box issues so all future rants
will have there proper place. Wouldn’t that suck if fflint closed yet another
thread because of you numbskulls’?

Four closed in one month, that would be a record… how dysfunctional can
Sacramentans be??? You know who I'm talking about people
It's a sign of the times!...Welcome to America! I hope CIM comes up with a proposal soon!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:41 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

I'd like to know how many 301 buyers are willing and able to put down deposits on Aura if it ever gets its sh*t together.

Incidently, I checked out the Marriot penthouses. Nice views! The largest unit is under 1400sq ft. The sales lady was very nice.

How many 301 buyers are buying else where in downtown/midtown..at the other condo highrises (N Street or any of the lowrises). I would like to hear from you guys.

Last edited by BrianSac; Jul 24, 2007 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:45 AM

I'm staying in my house in midtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 1:29 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
I'd like to know how many 301 buyers are willing and able to put down deposits on Aura if it ever gets its sh*t together.

Incidently, I checked out the Marriot penthouses. Nice views! The largest unit is under 1400sq ft. The sales lady was very nice.

How many 301 buyers are buying else where in downtown/midtown..at the other condo highrises (N Street or any of the lowrises). I would like to hear from you guys.
Were they offering any incentives to purchase? Free upgrades or anything like that...

Did they have any special financing through their own financing company or special offers through a selected finance company?

If the special incentives are minimal, then they probably feel pretty good about the market for high-rise living downtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:11 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Were they offering any incentives to purchase? Free upgrades or anything like that...

Did they have any special financing through their own financing company or special offers through a selected finance company?

If the special incentives are minimal, then they probably feel pretty good about the market for high-rise living downtown.
No incentives, no upgrades, but that can always change.

They are interested in people who have their own financing, plus $15,000 to hold a unit.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:26 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
It probably won't change, actually. There was an article in the Biz Joural (i think) a while back that reported that an investment company had already inked a deal to purchase any and all units that went unsold for a set amount. The article stated how the developer wasn't concerned with the down market for this reason - so I don't see why they'd be cutting into their profits to sell off the condos when they're basically already sold.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:52 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:

They are interested in people who have their own financing, plus $15,000 to hold a unit.
That sounds like they are confident in the market and is more evidence that the downtown high-rise market may be more insulated then the region as a whole.

Very encouraging for this and other projects.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:26 PM

There are only 30 condos at the Residence Inn, and until L Street Lofts are finished there's really no competition. Hopefully the Res Inn units will sell out quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area