HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 9:29 PM

I'm just happy if it gets built! Let's move it forward, another high-rise completed!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:32 PM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I dont like it. Best case scenario it will look like a medical park building. Yes the old design was "South Beach"-esque, but atleast it didn't look like it should have said "Texas Medical Center" on it.
I definitely can see where you are coming from and thats been my reservations with it too. It feels a bit fat and medical plaza like. I think the introduction of more glass could lighten the feel of the structure and Ill say it again the base on the Rampart side is bland and boring. Will kill street activity on that side. All in all Id say go back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:43 PM
-

Im with you on this but the hospital needs to be built. The streets wont nescessarily have to be closed by the hospital. Its just in their court now. Any word on a Mayoral veto?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
I'm just happy if it gets built! Let's move it forward, another high-rise completed!
Im sure it will get built as long as Palmer approves it. Just nice to discuss on this forum what we think should happen to make it better.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 11:38 PM

It will be great to see a new build on Canel Street.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 12:38 AM
TL;DR

The new 1031 is a definite improvement. however the base will not become any more transparent. kailas wants to land a department store, and these never have windows. the upper residential floors facing rampart are just awful though.

the previous one was vomit inducing. this one is merely kitschy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The new 1031 is a definite improvement. however the base will not become any more transparent. kailas wants to land a department store, and these never have windows. the upper residential floors facing rampart are just awful though.

I thought about the department issue as well but there is still away he could use some element to break up the monotony of that side.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 2:32 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I agree with you on this one ardecila; this looks like something they build here in Austin. You're right about the previous rendering....yuck!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:02 PM
-

Im going to say this building will definitely sink or swim on the materials used in its construction.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:00 PM

Customs House

It's finally returning to its home on Canal!! I have always loved the massive old-school Federal building.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...old_custo.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
I agree with you on this one ardecila; this looks like something they build here in Austin. You're right about the previous rendering....yuck!
1031canal.com has been updated with new renderings.

While the original design wasn't perfect, I still think this new design is a step in the wrong direction. I'll take faux-deco over 1970's any day. Plus the old design had more symmetry and detail. This new design seems lazier and cheap.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 6:42 PM

The design is growing on me. I agree quality of materials will make or break the design. Regardless I see no reason to hold up this going forward. Its a plus either way.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 6:54 PM

1031 Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

While the original design wasn't perfect, I still think this new design is a step in the wrong direction. I'll take faux-deco over 1970's any day. Plus the old design had more symmetry and detail. This new design seems lazier and cheap.

Remember, that the issue for the HDLC was/is design. Considering that Palmer will not even let it come up for a council vote unless the Central Business District panel of the Historic District Landmarks Commission approves the design (understandable, since she is covering her behind), I believe that the developers are going the modernist route rather than the a bad post-modern rendition of art-deco, because there is a better argument to be made to the HDLC. Besides height, the Vieux Carré critics cited the design as distracting from the historic architecture of Canal. With this new design, 1031 developers can argue that there is precedent for modernist design on Canal (e.g., the Bioinnovation Center, Marriot, and Canal Place) and historical modern architecture (e.g., Texaco building) on Canal, and thus it enhances to the already existing harmony.

Yes, the new design is not perfect, but I believe anything resembling art-deco South Beach is dead, because such an argument cannot be made in support of it. I think that the project will happen, because I think that the time and energy spent by Palmer's office and the Landrieu administration working so close with the developers suggest that they really want to see this come into fruition.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

When it comes to building design I always try to imagine how it will interact with its environment. I see alot of red flags with blank walls, and few windows. The scaling is strange as well since It appears to be top heavy. I prefer the tapering look especially in a high trafficed area.

Certainly glad something will be built there either way!

Recent Permits:

Renovation of Windsor Court Hotel($8,000,000)

Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 300 GRAVIER ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Record DetailsApplicant:
JAMES LANDIS
LANDIS CONSTRUCTION CO LLC
P O BOX 4278
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70178
Home Phone: 504 833 6070

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 8:21 PM

NOLA Brewing plans to sell cans by the fall

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/..._sell_can.html

Not as appropriate for this forum, but would love to see this industry get back to its glory days in N.O. Hopefully NOLA can get off the ground like Abita has.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 6:49 PM

Superdome Renovation

Check out these 3 videos taken today of the Superdome's renovation.

It's great to see some of the decisions they've made with regard to bigger, taller concourses and more bathrooms; the wall of glass they added between the last row of plaza seats and the concourse to keep the last row from being distracted by passersby; and the wider, more cushioned leather club seats.

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayun..._work_par.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 8:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
NOLA Brewing plans to sell cans by the fall

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/..._sell_can.html

Not as appropriate for this forum, but would love to see this industry get back to its glory days in N.O. Hopefully NOLA can get off the ground like Abita has.
Totally agree that id love to see the industry flourish like it used to. It seems tastes are changing back to wanting more obscure taps instead of the nasty miller, bud and coors.

Heres a link to a Wine Cave being built uptown:

http://carimiconstruction.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 11:36 PM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Maybe the wrong thread to post this, but this would be welcome news for any region's economy.....................

Textron Marine

Afghan Army vehicles to be built in New Orleans East facility.

Textron Marine & Land Systems has been awarded a contract to build up to 440 armored security vehicles for the Afghanistan National Army. The ASVs are built at Textron’s eastern New Orleans facility on Chef Menteur Highway.

The U.S. Army is paying for the Afghan vehicles. It has authorized a one-year contract for $125.9 million which will pay for delivery of 240 ASVs and associated support equipment, spare parts, field service representatives and training. The contract could potentially be worth $286 million if the Army exercises an option for 200 more vehicles.

link: http://www.boston.com/business/artic...th_up_to_543m/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:04 AM

Great news Fla_Tiger, especially in light of Michoud and Avondale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations