HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:00 PM
-

No idea but Id imagine it will be traditional colors it has been but just done better. With LED lights though your options are pretty much limitless.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:14 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, I'm guessing it will be a color-changing setup like other cities have on building crowns.

White and gold for Saints, blue and yellow for Hornets, pink for breast cancer/Valentines, red/green for Christmas, pink/blue for Easter, red/white/blue for Memorial/Vets/4th, etc, etc.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:41 AM
-

New on bidclerk(not sure what this is though)

[New project.] 1401861 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living, Multi-Residential, Reta 05/31/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Completed plans call for the construction of a 120-unit housing development for senior citizens built over retail space with a grocery anchor totaling 113,683 square feet of m.

Also, found out that the Commanders Palace family is opening up some sort of lounge in the the old Baccos space at the W French Quarter. Hopefully, they do something unique with it but being a Brennans place I wont hold my breath .

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 3:53 AM

National World War II Museum's restoration pavilion gives a window on the work

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...i_museums.html

Based on the premise that everyone likes to peek behind the scenes, the National World War II Museum this weekend will dedicate a massive building where passers-by can watch restorers prepare jeeps, tanks, boats, ambulances and other World War II artifacts for display in the museum across Magazine Street.

The glass-and-steel structure, the John E. Kushner Restoration Pavilion, has 14,000 square feet that will be used for tasks such as welding, painting, woodworking and making replacements for World War II-era parts that no longer exist.

It will be dedicated Saturday at 10 a.m. Free tours of the work spaces will follow. After Saturday, though, tours of the building probably won’t resume until July, said Tom Czekanski, the museum’s director of collections and exhibits....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:32 AM
-

Well done DDay Museum! Its really a beautiful building to see lit up at night too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:52 PM

Seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New on bidclerk(not sure what this is though)

[New project.] 1401861 New Orleans, LA Elderly Care / Assisted Living, Multi-Residential, Reta 05/31/2011
Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Completed plans call for the construction of a 120-unit housing development for senior citizens built over retail space with a grocery anchor totaling 113,683 square feet of m. .
Is that St. Margaret's? (the old Lindy Boggs?).

I had no idea how massive the scope of the demolition portion of the project would be until I drove by the other day.

I previously had been a little disappointed by it because it sounded like they were just going to reuse the exisiting outdated buildings...but they were really going at it over there...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 2:16 PM
-

Is everything with Mannings on Fulton ok? It seems construction has been stopped and its just at slab prep stage still!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 2:35 PM
-

New Bids

Columbia Parc Senior Residences Phase III (PPP)
201100414081 v. 2
Dodge Project Report
Apartments/Condominiums 1-3 Stories GC Bidding $8,000,000 LA (Orleans) Jun 16, 2011

ITEM: 2009-2011 Furniture for Bunker Clubs
201100509489 v. 1
Dodge Project Report
Stadium Bidding $500,000 LA (Orleans) Jun 15, 2011

New Orleans Superdome - Lasalle St. Exterior Restrooms
201100512319 v. 4
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Specs and Addenda
Theater/Auditorium,
Miscellaneous Recreational GC Bidding $450,000 LA (Jefferson) Jun 14, 2011

LSU Health Sciences Center Foundation Offices
Dodge Report #201100518903 v. 1
Orleans Louisiana Office Construction Project
Project Type: Office, College/University
Stage: GC Bidding
Ownership: Private See More Like This
Type of Work: New Project
Number of Buildings: 1
Building Frame: Precast Concrete
Square Footage: 31,800
Number of Stories: 4

Project Description:
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A REASERCH/LABORATORY BUILDING AS PER PLANS.
Owner:
AMINISTRATORS OFTULANE
EDUCATIONAL FUND

6823 ST CHARLES AV
NEW ORLEANS LA 70118

More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$5,951,183.00Housing Units:
1Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
No
Application Information
COM_BLDGNEWExisting Use: Vacant Lot
Proposed Use: University Classroom Building
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Commercial Units: 1
No. of Floors: 4
Total Square Footage: 25525

NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 127 BED NURSING HOME Work Location 4021 CADILLAC ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70122

Job Value($):
$10,500,000.00Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
No
Application Information
COM_BLDGNEWExisting Use: Vacant Lot
Proposed Use: Home (Aged, Infirm, Indigent)
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Floors: 1
Foundation: Piers

Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT 11610 SF COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A HEALTH CLINIC (PHASE 2) Owner:

Commercial Change of Use
Work Location 1936 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):$673,867.00Number of Buildings:1Public Owned:No
Application Information
COM_BUILDINGExisting use: Vacant Commercial Building
Proposed Use: Clinic

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 9:32 PM

Superdome Updates

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:49 AM

1031 Canal Update From Their Website...

June 1st, 2011
Since mid-February, we have been working closely with Councilmember Palmer and her team, the mayor's office of economic development, Bill Gilchrist from the mayor's office of neighborhood development, Rod Miller from NOLA Business Alliance, the ARC, and the HDLC staff.
At 2:00PM on June 1st we will present our latest design, which is a result of a group effort by our design team, Councilmember Palmer's team, and the mayor's administration.
The new design is by far the best we have presented. I hope to be able to post it soon.

http://1031canal.com/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:53 AM

new design for 1031 Canal

so apparently here's the new design for 1031 Canal Street. I found this image on Nola.com...it was on there before it was even on the building's website.

^^^oh helllllll yesss. It's modern and stylish...way better than the previous design if you ask me

now this makes me want to see it get built more than ever!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:07 AM

1031 Canal

Agreed, but did you read the article... It is still tangled in bureaucracy! I don't understand why some people don't see the beauty of modern buildings next to historic on a thoroughfare like Canal.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ckles_hig.html

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:55 AM

In favor of 1031 Canal.

There was a discussion a few pages back about the "middle belt". Can anyone explain this to me? I tried to download the .PDF on the dotd website but it won't go through. Is the idea to basically have all the trains go through at Airline and I-10? Really don't see how that would be workable, but again, was unable to load the .PDF.

Also got an e-mail today inviting me to go to the Loyola streetcar groundbreaking on the 7th. Anybody going/ have any idea what to expect?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
There was a discussion a few pages back about the "middle belt". Can anyone explain this to me? I tried to download the .PDF on the dotd website but it won't go through. Is the idea to basically have all the trains go through at Airline and I-10? Really don't see how that would be workable, but again, was unable to load the .PDF.
See the PDF posted by Blitzen (below) - it explains everything clearly. The idea is to reduce rail/street crossings by removing the tracks going through Old Metairie. This also allows the railway overpass near Westend to be removed, and for the I-10 to be raised above the existing underpass to reduce the risk of flooding and shutting down I-10 as it did during Katrina - see page 12 and 13 of the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I didn't know anything about Rail Gateway until I googled it after reading your comment. I found a few presentations like this one: http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/ltc_09/pdf/Goodell,%20Dean.pdf.

So my question to anyone who knows is, is the Middle Belt alternative going to happen? It seems like a great idea, and an obvious choice to anyone who's ever looked at a map of New Orleans, or had to wait 15 minutes at Metairie Road for a train to pass.

My second question is, when they say "separate/close" grade crossings, do they mean to car traffic? or build bridges above them? or what exactly?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
so apparently here's the new design for 1031 Canal Street. I found this image on Nola.com...it was on there before it was even on the building's website.

^^^oh helllllll yesss. It's modern and stylish...way better than the previous design if you ask me

now this makes me want to see it get built more than ever!!!
I strongly disagree. The new design looks generic and a little too 1970s. The previous design had a style, even though it was very South Beach, at least it was a unique addition to Canal Street. Plus, the old design had a nice setback after the first couple floors, providing sidewalk dwellers with more open air and sunlight. The new design looks like an ugly brick, almost as unwelcoming as 930 poydras.

I'm not sure I want this new bland design even built.

Last edited by Blitzen; Jun 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I strongly disagree. The new design looks generic and a little too 1970s. The previous design had a style, even though it was very South Beach, at least it was a unique addition to Canal Street. Plus, the old design had a nice setback after the first couple floors, providing sidewalk dwellers with more open air and sunlight. The new design looks like an ugly brick, almost as unwelcoming as 930 poydras.

I'm not sure I want this new bland design even built.
I actually like 930 Poydras, but I'm not necessarily thrilled about the new look of 1031. Either way, it needs to be built. Maybe if it moves foward the design will be reworked by the time of completion.

Last edited by Uptowner; Jun 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:32 PM
-

My main concern with the the new proposal is the lack of windows on the Rampart side. I think its a bit imposing. personally Id rather a taller building with more setbacks for natural light to hit the streets. I cant say I like one proposal over the other at this point. This new building seems to take some cues from the biotech center a few blocks away though. So if its outfitted in that way I will be very happy!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This new building seems to take some cues from the biotech center a few blocks away though. So if its outfitted in that way I will be very happy!
Yes, it actually screams CANCER CENTER at me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Yes, it actually screams CANCER CENTER at me.
Now that you say it thats true. It looks like the cancer centers form with the materials of the biotech center.

New Hyatt Renders

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:52 PM

I dont like it. Best case scenario it will look like a medical park building. Yes the old design was "South Beach"-esque, but atleast it didn't look like it should have said "Texas Medical Center" on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations