HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
To be fair, everyone seems incompetent now, not just SNC. I don't think SNC's involved in the Valley Line in Edmonton or the Crosstown in Toronto, both projects with major issues and delays. SNC was involved in the Canada Line and now in the REM, both well managed projects.
SNC is one of the 4 major partners in Crosslinx - it's the same three companies that built Stage 1 in Ottawa, with Aecon added to the mix.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:21 PM

Ottawa-Toronto Trains return to pre-pandemic frequency starting in late October

https://media.viarail.ca/en/press-re...nd-london-fall

Quote:
September 7, 2023

VIA RAIL INCREASES SERVICE BETWEEN OTTAWA AND LONDON THIS FALL
MONTRÉAL, September 7, 2023 – VIA Rail Canada Inc. (VIA Rail) is pleased to announce the reintroduction of two round trips between Toronto and Ottawa and one round trip between London and Toronto, starting this October.

“The ongoing progressive introduction of VIA Rail’s 32 new trainsets is already yielding positive results, as recent increases in equipment availability, coupled with intense recruitment and training efforts, are now allowing us to reintroduce these high-demand frequencies,” said Mario Péloquin, President and Chief Executive Officer. “As we continue to strike a balance between meeting our passengers’ evolving travel needs and deploying our limited resources, we remain committed to offering the most convenient, accessible and sustainable service to the highest number of Canadians.”

Returning frequencies

Passengers can start booking their trips on train 82/83 as of today and on the other returning frequencies over the next week.

Route

Schedule

Resuming date

London – Toronto

1 daily trip, every day but Sunday

Tuesday, October 24

Toronto – London

1 daily trip, every day but Saturday

Tuesday, October 24

Toronto – Ottawa

1 daily trip on Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Friday, October 27

Toronto – Ottawa

1 daily trip on Thursday, Friday, Sunday

Thursday, October 26

Ottawa – Toronto

1 daily trip on Monday, Friday, Sunday

Friday, October 27

Ottawa – Toronto

1 daily trip on Friday and Sunday

Friday, October 27

*To accommodate those changes, the Saturday trip on train 44 will be cancelled starting October 28.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 1:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New high frequency rail CEO says project could include direct link between Toronto and Montreal

Bill Curry
Deputy Ottawa Bureau Chief, Ottawa
The Globe and Mail
Published October 19, 2023

Martin Imbleau, the new CEO of the federal high frequency rail team that is aiming to build 1,000 kilometres of dedicated Via Rail passenger service between Quebec City and Toronto, is well aware of the problems with large rail projects.

But he says his office has a pre-emptive plan to ensure cost and timeline projections prove reliable.

By bringing in global rail and construction leaders into the detailed planning stages, he said the goal is to have potential issues identified early on by the companies that will ultimately build the new lines.

“Fundamentally, it’s don’t go out too soon and provide calendars and cost estimates without having done your homework,” he said. “You’ll make a nice announcement, but you’ll regret it.”

In his first English-language interview as chief executive officer, Mr. Imbleau told The Globe and Mail that the ultimate cost of the multibillion-dollar project needs to be considered with a long-term view.

“This is a service for the next generations,” he said, describing young urban Canadians as far less car-dependent than their parents.

“We will be the link between the new commuting systems being developed in the cities,” he said.

The VIA HFR team operates as an arm’s-length subsidiary of VIA Rail and is a dedicated project office.

The project, which has not yet received final funding approval from the federal cabinet, envisions a new dedicated passenger rail line that would be more than 1,000 kilometres in length. It would connect Quebec City and Toronto, with stops in Trois-Rivières, Montreal, Ottawa and Peterborough. It would run north of the tracks currently used by Via Rail. The current route is primarily owned by CN Rail CNR-T, which gives priority to freight traffic.

Mr. Imbleau also commented on details of the plan, saying it may include a line linking Toronto and Montreal that bypasses Ottawa and incorporates high-speed segments. High-speed trains in Europe can travel 300 kilometres an hour or more.

“This is an option to be considered,” he said. “Of course, the link between Montreal and Toronto would be faster if you don’t go through Ottawa. But the cost and the scope is significantly different.”

Earlier estimates had said the project would bring travel times between Montreal and Toronto to around four hours, including a stop in Ottawa. Current travel times are a little more than five hours. The project also promises significantly more daily trips.

While the project was originally pitched as an alternative to driving, Mr. Imbleau said the increasing congestion in and around airports could see flyers making the switch to rail as well.

“The journey time that we’re targeting, which is Montreal-Toronto below four hours, that’s a game changer,” he said. Driving between Canada’s two largest cities generally takes about six hours. Flights take about an hour, but travellers must account for travel to and from the airport and the need to arrive early.

Via is currently replacing its aging trains with new Siemens Venture trainsets, which can travel at a speed of up to 200 kilometres an hour, but the current class of track limits top speeds to 160 km/h. Mr. Imbleau said different trains may be needed if high-speed segments are included in the final plan.

The government announced Mr. Imbleau’s appointment as the first CEO of VIA HFR Inc. on July 31 and it took effect Sept. 8. His expertise is in managing large infrastructure projects, though he does not come from a rail background.

His is the former president and CEO of the Montreal Port Authority. Prior to that, he was a vice-president at Hydro-Québec.

The current sharing of rail lines with freight is the main reason cited by Via for why its routes struggle to stay on time and why it is not able to add more frequent trips. Cities along that route – such as Belleville, Kingston, Saint-Hyacinthe and Drummondville, would continue to be served by passenger trains that operate on shared lines with freight.

The federal government announced on Oct. 13 that it launched a request for proposals for the project. Earlier in July, Ottawa announced three finalist consortiums that will be allowed to participate in the process.

The three consortiums now have until the summer of 2024 to submit detailed plans. Each group must submit two options: one that only involves high-frequency rail using traditional trains and tracks at top speeds of about 200 kilometres an hour, as well as a second option in which higher speeds are reached on some segments.

The government said this process will allow for a “rigorous assessment of the costs and benefits of incorporating high-speed rail on each segment of the corridor.”

When Via was promoting the idea in 2017, it pegged the cost at between $4-billion and $6-billion. Former transport minister Omar Alghabra speculated in 2021 that the project could cost between $6-billion and $12-billion.

The recent decision to potentially include high-speed segments would likely drive the total price higher. High-speed rail is more expensive because it requires full-grade separation at road crossings and straighter routes.

Variables that will affect the cost include how many new bridges will be built, how many safety features will be included, and how the trains will enter and exit cities.

“There is no way I could have a credible evaluation of the cost today because the scope of the project is not even defined,” Mr. Imbleau said.

Pierre LeFevre, who was a former senior adviser to the VIA CEO until 2019 and has studied the issue extensively, said high-speed rail is typically three to five times more expensive. He said extensive studies of high-speed rail have persuaded him that the added costs are not worth the potentially marginal increase in ridership.

“I think the government is going about it the right way, saying, ‘Okay, let’s see what you creative private guys can come up with.’ “ he said.

“But as somebody who studied the corridor intently for five years, and all the other train systems that look like it around the world, I’ll be very curious to see if somebody is going to come up with something that’s going to justify the cost of changing the model.”

Follow Bill Curry on Twitter: @curryb

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...e-direct-link/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 10:38 AM

I’m still trying to wrap my head around who these types of media campaigns are for? I don’t think train and transportation nerds are super excited about being the only G7 country not building high speed rail, although maybe I’m wrong. I don’t imagine the regular public is paying attention all that much. Is it all a play to hope that people either read too quickly and don’t notice or confuse High Frequency with High Speed?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 2:24 PM

Leaving Hamilton, KW, London, Windsor out seems really dumb.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Leaving Hamilton, KW, London, Windsor out seems really dumb.
The liberals have it as a "phase 2" more or less.

I think it makes sense to focus on Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal first, as that's by far the highest demand corridor.

The Addition of Quebec City is largely political to get support within Quebec for the project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
I’m still trying to wrap my head around who these types of media campaigns are for? I don’t think train and transportation nerds are super excited about being the only G7 country not building high speed rail, although maybe I’m wrong. I don’t imagine the regular public is paying attention all that much. Is it all a play to hope that people either read too quickly and don’t notice or confuse High Frequency with High Speed?
HFR is better than nothing. It's still possible some of the bids will include partial HSR, and Politicians have been hinting at that possibility.

None of it matters if Skippy gets elected.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
HFR is better than nothing. It's still possible some of the bids will include partial HSR, and Politicians have been hinting at that possibility.
It's not just "possible" but a requirement that all bidders submit 2 bids (1 with HSR and one at more conventional speeds).

Quote:
Possibly, but from talking to him, he is more concerned about the subsidies VIA receives, and seems open to one time investments that will reduce the annual subsidy required. He might not want to fund HSR, but the way the HSR program has been framed as a PPP, with a private company taking over all corridor operations may fit well with his objectives.

Last edited by roger1818; Oct 21, 2023 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:51 PM

My understanding is that VIA has recently bought a fleet of new trains that have a maximum speed of 200 kph. If there was a switch to 300 kph for some segments of the route, then that would require another set of even more expensive new trains. I can’t see that being acceptable to the government paying the bill. I am expecting that High(er) Frequency Rail will be the outcome. But having an estimated cost for High(er) Speed Rail will be useful to show the public that the government is being frugal with taxpayer’s money.

Hey, if a new route is being created, is it possible to deviate slightly to have a new Dorval Station right at the P.E.Trudeau Airport?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 6:24 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ "High frequency rail" will require additional rolling stock anyway if the frequency increase will be fairly significant. Especially with the new service being on a different corridor and the lakeshore corridor still needing local service. Yes the higher average speed will reduce the impact of service frequency a bit since each trip will take less time, but the increased speed and frequency will also attract additional ridership, either requiring further service increases or higher capacity stock. The likely outcome is that the trains already coming online could be used for local services throughout the corridor and new trains added for the new service whether it be HSR or HFR.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:

If we end up with a plan that precludes HSR (like for instance by purchasing non-HSR rolling stock before the thing is even started or selecting an alignment that precludes HSR or makes it logistically challenging for large swaths of the route), then no that's not necessarily better. In a sense, if it ends up dooming several generations of Canadians to traditional speed rail and blocking our ability to roll out HSR, it could be worse than nothing. It'd be akin to salting the ground.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
If we end up with a plan that precludes HSR (like for instance by purchasing non-HSR rolling stock before the thing is even started or selecting an alignment that precludes HSR or makes it logistically challenging for large swaths of the route), then no that's not necessarily better. In a sense, if it ends up dooming several generations of Canadians to traditional speed rail and blocking our ability to roll out HSR, it could be worse than nothing. It'd be akin to salting the ground.
"it's not neccessarily better"

Better than what? Our existing service is low speed, low frequency, and low reliability. An HSR plan that gets cancelled solves none of these problems.

"dooming several generations of Canadians to traditional speed rail"

About three decades; it is also possible to replace rolling stock before its lifespan if we think that HSR is so urgent.

Also, 200 km/h service would be far better than what we have now; dedicated track that can always be upgraded, is not "dooming" anyone to anything (other than train passengers to more reliable service?).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectionNorth View Post
"it's not neccessarily better"

Better than what? Our existing service is low speed, low frequency, and low reliability. An HSR plan that gets cancelled solves none of these problems.

"dooming several generations of Canadians to traditional speed rail"

About three decades; it is also possible to replace rolling stock before its lifespan if we think that HSR is so urgent.

Also, 200 km/h service would be far better than what we have now; dedicated track that can always be upgraded, is not "dooming" anyone to anything (other than train passengers to more reliable service?).
This response doesn't address or seriously engage with any of the points I made in my comment.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
This response doesn't address or seriously engage with any of the points I made in my comment.
Except by pointing out why the entire premise of your argument is wrong (that we must use HSR rolling stock or else we are moving backwards).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:16 AM

There is a major debate with HFR/HSR. What market are we going after? The airline market or the driving market or some hybrid. We need to do a proper cost/benefit analysis to determine the best choice.

We need more reliable/significantly faster/more frequent rail service. This does not necessarily take us to true HSR. On the other hand, it may see portions of the line run at HSR speeds.

We should purchase the rolling stock that supports the rail line that we decide to build. There is no sense in buying rolling stock that exceeds the speed that the track is able to support. If we decide to upgrade track to support faster trains, that is when we should be purchasing faster trains.

Whatever we choose to build, it is unlikely that it will be further upgraded for many years. I believe that Phase 2 west of Toronto will become a higher priority.

It will be crazy to purchase rolling stock before identifying the speed capabilities of the rail line.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:27 AM

If we don’t do anything (quite likely if the HFR plan falls through), by 2050 VIA’s scheduled travel time from Ottawa to Montreal will likely be about six or seven hours, and about half the trains will be about two hours late, all because of increased congestion on CN’s Kingston sub. How is that better than 18 train today taking 3 1/2 hours and an on-time performance of over 95%, all because of dedicated tracks?

Conventional speeds are necessarily a bad thing. If you look at Europe, the vast majority of trains that most people use run at conventional speeds. HSR may get all the attention, but it only gets a small portion of the ridership.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
There is a major debate with HFR/HSR. What market are we going after? The airline market or the driving market or some hybrid. We need to do a proper cost/benefit analysis to determine the best choice.

We need more reliable/significantly faster/more frequent rail service. This does not necessarily take us to true HSR. On the other hand, it may see portions of the line run at HSR speeds.

We should purchase the rolling stock that supports the rail line that we decide to build. There is no sense in buying rolling stock that exceeds the speed that the track is able to support. If we decide to upgrade track to support faster trains, that is when we should be purchasing faster trains.

Whatever we choose to build, it is unlikely that it will be further upgraded for many years. I believe that Phase 2 west of Toronto will become a higher priority.

It will be crazy to purchase rolling stock before identifying the speed capabilities of the rail line.
So much wrong and ignorant with this post, I don't know where to begin.

For a start, try actually reading the website and understanding how the project is being structured. There is no "we" to order anything anymore. Existing Corridor services are being privatized alongside whatever is built on the dedicated corridor. This isn't even a VIA project anymore and VIA as we know it won't exist after the contract is awarded. The new operator will be determining what level of service and what rolling stock is needed.

Next, there's no need for more studies. We have plenty of useless studies. The government is asking each bidder to submit two bids. One each for HSR and HrSR (HFR in TC parlance). That's four business cases. And each of those will have costed tens of millions to right and is based on hundreds of millions of studies and data furnished by the JPO to the bidders. There will never be better studies than this.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Conventional speeds aren't necessarily a bad thing. If you look at Europe, the vast majority of trains that most people use run at conventional speeds. HSR may get all the attention, but it only gets a small portion of the ridership.
Exactly. And just look at Brightline in Florida. It's doing amazingly well. Higher Speed Rail (HrSR) which is what HFR is, would arguably be better for Ottawa than HSR. HFR would still be fairly schedule competitive with air for Ottawa while still being substantially cost competitive. HSR is mostly about improving the Toronto-Montreal business case and a bit at the expense of other users along the line.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:54 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

VIA Rail's new fleet makes its debut running between Toronto and Ottawa
The 'state-of-the-art' train will be stationed and serviced at the Toronto Maintenance Centre

National Post Staff
Published Oct 24, 2023 • 2 minute read

Train #41, one of the latest additions to Via Rail’s modernized fleet, made its Toronto debut today.

This “state-of-the-art” train, previously servicing routes between Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa, officially launched its first commercial service in Toronto. Running between Toronto and Ottawa, the train will be stationed and serviced at the Toronto Maintenance Centre.

The train is part of Via Rail’s effort to have 32 new trains deployed by 2025 and to bring the Crown corporation “closer to realizing (its) vision of building a more modern passenger rail service for Canadians.”

Capable of reaching speeds of 201 km/h, the new fleet will be travelling up to 320,000 kilometres a year and is estimated to have an operational lifespan of 30 years.

The investment in the fleet is part of the $1.5-billion funding package announced by the federal government in the 2018 budget. The trains are being progressively introduced in the Quebec City-Windsor corridor, VIA Rail’s busiest route, accounting for 96 per cent of the company’s ridership in 2019.

The new diesel trains feature more luggage storage and wider aisles, are compliant with the latest U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Tier 4 emissions standards, and can be converted to dual-mode (diesel-electric) operation if the infrastructure is electrified.

“The new fleet will offer a new era of comfort and efficiency for the workers, families, and tourists who travel on these tracks. By supporting VIA Rail’s large-scale modernization project, we are investing in accessible, reliable, environmentally friendly ways for Canadians to see each other and see their country,” said Omar Alghabra, previously Canada’s Transport Minister, when the funding was announced.

Headquartered in Montreal, VIA Rail operates 480 trains weekly on 14,000 kilometres of track.

In August, the company reported continued growth in travel demand in its latest quarter, with revenue increasing nearly 38 per cent and ridership increasing by more than 31 per cent compared to the same period last year.

Revenues for the April to June 2023 period reached nearly $30 million, while ridership totalled 240,179 passengers.

“Our performance this quarter and over the past year shows a clear and steady trend of growing demand for rail travel in Canada,” said Mario Péloquin, VIA Rail’s president and chief executive officer. “As we continue our work to modernize and transform the way Canadians travel, the Corporation is well positioned to achieve near pre-pandemic performance as we enter the second half of the year.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/via-r...-fleet-toronto

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 2:19 PM

I rode in the new car coming back from the Grey Cup. It had that new car smell for sure .

I live right by the Tunney's pasture LRT station so my trip to Hamilton started with a 3 minute walk to the LRT. LRT to Tremblay and then walk across the street to the VIA station. Wait in the lounge for the call to board the train. 10 minutes from departure we get the call to board (zero security ) and off we go. Enjoy a nice breakfast and a gin and tonic and arrive in Toronto just after noon (no delays, we arrived on time). Walk over to the GO station and get on the train for Waterfront West. Arrive there on time and head up James Street to my hotel. Didn't realize James Street held the Grey Cup Festival so the walk to downtown was a pleasant affair.
On Game Day I decided to walk to Tim Horton's field from downtown. Hamilton certainly has retained the gritty working class feel as I walked through the neighbourhoods. Stopped for lunch at the Black Forest Inn (very good schnitzel!).
Great game and amazing atmosphere.
The city had laid down busses for after the game so it was easy peasy to get back to downtown.
Next day I had to go to Forest ON (Outside of Sarnia) for a funeral so I rented a car to get there an back. My timings for getting the car back, get a ride to the GO Station, get to Union and make the 18:33 train was going to be tight but it all went off without a hitch. In fact when we got to Ottawa, the LRT arrived at Tremblay just as I was getting through the entrance.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience and any further trips to the Golden Horseshoe or Montreal will be by train.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation