Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Quick question I've been want ting ask for awhile - does anyone know what the extremely large shaft (opening) is on the south end of the #2 section? Seems like it is positioned somewhat in the path of where the cut through road will go underneath the tower. Easy to see from webcam

https://www.vistatowerchicago.com/webcam/
I have assumed this was for a/the skip. There was another hole in the north-west corner too. I think it is just hidden by the higher floor plates on the cam

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:44 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I personally hope it does happen, I mean why not? We're a global city after all, and as long as there is an English version as well I'm all for the Chinese characters. I've seen restaurant signs around town in French, I've seen billboards in Korean up in Koreatown, not to mention ubiquitous English/Spanish signage. I say keep it coming in all shapes, sizes and dialects.
At one time when I was thinking about photography projects I thought it would be an interesting one to do a project "Around the World," with all photos taken in Chicago of buildings/signage that looked like they were somewhere else entirely. Latin America would be easy, but I figured without too much effort I could get up to a dozen other countries, too. Walking through some old parts of neighborhoods it can very interesting to run across an old Norwegian church or Czech school or Italian social club or Chinese storefront temple.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:02 PM

look what just popped up on zillow! https://www.zillow.com/community/vis...93852062_zpid/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:04 PM

6/26

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:06 PM

Can't wait to grab a $12 beer in that lobby. Views are gonna be awesome.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Maybe we'll see some cladding soon 🙌

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:38 PM

Here's a dumb question from a native Californian excited to be getting his first supertall soon in SF: Does work come to a halt (or just slow way down) on skyscraper construction during your notorious extremely cold Midwestern winters? I mean how do you build these monsters in sub-zero wind chills? I guess they just plan around the weather like the severe spring/summer thunderstorms and construction takes a bit longer than in milder climates?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Here's a dumb question from a native Californian excited to be getting his first supertall soon in SF: Does work come to a halt (or just slow way down) on skyscraper construction during your notorious extremely cold Midwestern winters? I mean how do you build these monsters in sub-zero wind chills? I guess they just plan around the weather like the severe spring/summer thunderstorms and construction takes a bit longer than in milder climates?
First of all, the wind chills in Chicago don't get sub zero as much as you think. It's cold, but not sub zero as much as you probably think. This is a whole different topic but s lot of people over estimate how cold Chicago winters are (their ideas of it are much closer to Minneapolis winters).

With that being said, construction goes on year long. How? Proper clothing and the guys building the skyscrapers in winter are usually tough. Whether it's NYC or Chicago (the winters between the two cities aren't drastically different)...these things don't halt unless it's actually dangerous temps. even 15 degrees is not a dangerous temp so certainly if you're hitting your average of closer to freezing, it's not an issue usually. Plus, when you're doing this much physical Labor, you warm up a little bit..

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:45 PM

^^^Very informative! Thank you

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:46 PM

^^^ A lot of trades in Chicago prefer working in Fall, Winter, and Spring when the weather isn't shitty. I do small developments and exterior work moves the quickest in Fall or Spring when it's not raining. Siding and roofing guys would much rather be working in 40 degree weather than 90 degree weather. Winter stops roofers from doing asphalt because if it gets too cold the shingles crack, but I suspect highrise trades prefer cold weather because they can just wear an extra layer of carhart gear, they can't just wear shorts when it's hot out for safety reasons.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
I have assumed this was for a/the skip. There was another hole in the north-west corner too. I think it is just hidden by the higher floor plates on the cam
Ahh gotcha. Thx

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:49 AM

Will be a while, but can't wait until it pops up high enough to make an impact in aerial photos

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:06 AM

Very excited for these angled columns they are starting to frame out. Looks like we will see some exciting engineering after all!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 11:44 AM
BANNED

This is my fav stage of suoertall construction. the first ten floors are truly spectacular to watch.

^^^chicago winters are fucking cold dude

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:56 PM

Nick, that picture is spectacular. I know they are using wacker which makes this site so much bigger but holy cow there is so much going on at once. If gems ever gets going this will start looking like a mini city inside of a city at that point of view.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Very excited for these angled columns they are starting to frame out. Looks like we will see some exciting engineering after all!
The picture showing those made my pulse quicken!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 11:43 AM

06/28/17

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:36 PM

Now it's getting exciting. Foundation work is great, but the above ground work is the best. Before you know it, glass will be getting installed...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:29 PM

Anyone have any idea what hotel prices are going to look like? I can only assume something comparable to trump's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture