HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 10:02 PM

Pic by me today -
Note the lower frame of the middle block has been installed.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:00 AM

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the outer surface of those frame things will light up. Might be a while before we know.

Meanwhile on the plaza, Glowbal has put up a lovely plastic tent for their outside seating.

Nov.30 '15, my pics

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:03 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Hopefully, like Pacific Rim, a permanent replacement for the tent will be built.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:54 AM

That tent looks pretty ghetto, to state the obvious.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:21 AM

So do we know what's going to happen with the old Black's and Telus Store space on Robson? That whole block is so dead right now and I am not sure if the alley and new retail are going to do much if those street level spaces remain barricaded.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:02 AM

Probably soon....the sale of the building closed on Friday https://www.biv.com/article/2015/11/...-building-it-/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 12:30 AM

I recently noticed that under each of the overhanging ledges (*on both office tower and condo tower),
there are anchor hooks/eyelets that slide along tracks (a number of tracks that cross perpendicular to each other)
- presumably for window washers.

You can see 2 of the tracks in this pic here (plus there may be one along the perimeter edge):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Here's a zoomed in shot of the ledges/frames on the side facing the office tower. I hope those are lighting panels being worked on.

Oct.17 '15, my pics

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 12:33 AM

Also - lanterns in the alley formally approved:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/c...art-vancouver/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:07 PM

Pic by me today - note the cladding on the addition to the older Telus House building:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Also - lanterns in the alley formally approved:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/c...art-vancouver/
Think I like the lanterns better if they are all white, not multi-coloured.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:30 AM

Hard to tell how much light they'll emit through their sides.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic by me today - note the cladding on the addition to the older Telus House building:

This picture got me wondering. Is or was there a difference in price between comparable units on this side of the building, to units on the other schizophrenic side?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:33 AM

^^^ Nice to see the Telus office tower all ablaze in lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Meanwhile on the plaza, Glowbal has put up a lovely plastic tent for their outside seating.

Nov.30 '15, my pics

There is a tent at the west end of the Glowbal out door seating and it is black. Too bad both tents couldn't have been black.

Dec.8 '15, my pic

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:37 AM

Here's a look at the grey cladding on the addition to the old Telus building, as seen from Richards Street.

Dec.8 '15, my pics

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:40 AM
perhaps . . .

I'm new here ( a bit late to the party), and I don't want to start on a negative, but this one bugs me . . .

This project is beyond all control. As big as it is, it cannot carry the 200+ separate ideas that have been crammed into it. Indeed any architectural strategy is strongly frustrated by the inability to edit these ideas into some kind of cohesion or even a complex of cohesions and contrasts. I know of no other project that has tried so hard to do it all, and all at the same time. This thing makes the Nordstrom redo seem downright minimalistic. I can only guess what kind of process went on within the Henriquez office. Its as if the kids were let loose and all parental control was abbrogated. (Please note, this is a real issue in large practices which rely on relatively young design talent.)

But there is a positive to this. Has everyone noticed that buildings that were upsetting during their design presentation, construction, and a certain period of newness almost always fade from our relative experience of the city. Maybe after a few years you find yourself on a bench facing one of these structures and you receive a little shock: wow, I forgot about this one. Is it ever ugly. But mostly they become part of the larger fabric and exist in a realm in which design is a highly reduced aspect. Most buildings become background, and so they should. Significant architecture then stands out against their context. The difference in architectural scope, quality and urban contribution varies across a spectrum. It is this that allows us to experience the city in a meaningful manner. Vancouver has a pretty solid background, and its urban quality will benifet from the addition of quite a number of architecturally significant projects in the future. It's getting there.

Now, Telus: the scale of this thing, along with its location, means that it was an opportunity to be a major architectural contribution. It fails for the reasons cited above. Regardless, it will contribute significantly at the level of a few obvious smaller scale aspects . . . things that photograph well and attract the public eye. But it will also succeed (as will the Nordstom cacophony) because it offers our experience a relatively rich "at hand" public interface. The crazy lack of restraint will fade into our collective backgrounds, and we will forget it. To me, this means the wound will heal. And we will be left with a relatively rich block which will serve the city well.

Do I like it? No. It could have contributed in a much larger and more meaningful way. It is a mess. But, I accept that cities are full of messes. Our inventory has just risen.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:39 PM

Had a great laugh the other day when someone passed some city hall nomenclature on to me. Apparently, the low-rise boxes that overhang Seymour and Richards have an official name at city hall: "Brent Toderian's love handles". Anybody else trying to get minor variances for minor, and I mean minor, encroachments is basically being told by the city "no frickin' way".

Although I'm sure that Westbank would still get favoured nation status with the city.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:58 PM

^Haha.

Thankfully Westbank is branching out from working with Henriquez on their higher end projects lately. If you take away the protruding boxes and "trees on top" there is nothing distinguishable in Henriquez's designs...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I'm new here ( a bit late to the party), and I don't want to start on a negative, but this one bugs me . . .

This project is beyond all control. As big as it is, it cannot carry the 200+ separate ideas that have been crammed into it. Indeed any architectural strategy is strongly frustrated by the inability to edit these ideas into some kind of cohesion or even a complex of cohesions and contrasts. I know of no other project that has tried so hard to do it all, and all at the same time. This thing makes the Nordstrom redo seem downright minimalistic. I can only guess what kind of process went on within the Henriquez office. Its as if the kids were let loose and all parental control was abbrogated. (Please note, this is a real issue in large practices which rely on relatively young design talent.)

But there is a positive to this. Has everyone noticed that buildings that were upsetting during their design presentation, construction, and a certain period of newness almost always fade from our relative experience of the city. Maybe after a few years you find yourself on a bench facing one of these structures and you receive a little shock: wow, I forgot about this one. Is it ever ugly. But mostly they become part of the larger fabric and exist in a realm in which design is a highly reduced aspect. Most buildings become background, and so they should. Significant architecture then stands out against their context. The difference in architectural scope, quality and urban contribution varies across a spectrum. It is this that allows us to experience the city in a meaningful manner. Vancouver has a pretty solid background, and its urban quality will benifet from the addition of quite a number of architecturally significant projects in the future. It's getting there.

Now, Telus: the scale of this thing, along with its location, means that it was an opportunity to be a major architectural contribution. It fails for the reasons cited above. Regardless, it will contribute significantly at the level of a few obvious smaller scale aspects . . . things that photograph well and attract the public eye. But it will also succeed (as will the Nordstom cacophony) because it offers our experience a relatively rich "at hand" public interface. The crazy lack of restraint will fade into our collective backgrounds, and we will forget it. To me, this means the wound will heal. And we will be left with a relatively rich block which will serve the city well.
You can never get the right kind of architecture built in this town, especially for a building with a larger footprint. The City wants to break up the mass, and height restrictions (eg, the hated viewcone) come into play to create the messes that you and I are seeing in this town.

With that said, I do love the "urban contribution" (as you aptly put) of the Telus Garden. It makes walking eastwards of the Scotiabank tower all the more enjoyable.

I do, however, hate those tents put up by Glowbal and I think they should be removed. Just close the patio for the winter. Heating it just makes no sense in the winter, and CoV wants to be the greenest City by 2020?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I do, however, hate those tents put up by Glowbal and I think they should be removed. Just close the patio for the winter. Heating it just makes no sense in the winter, and CoV wants to be the greenest City by 2020?
Isn't there a City bylaw that prevents the full enclosure of outdoor restaurant patios?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver