HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
It must kill you inside to know that you live in a city where the Pal is easily the most successful nightclub we've ever had and there isn't another one even close. Except for maybe the Silver Spike in Transcona. Which also probably kills you.
Nah. What kills me (with laughter) is that you "cared" so much about what I had to say that you simply HAD to respond to my post (and we both know why, eh Simpy). THAT is what kills me (with laughter)

I've never been a big nightclub guy; much prefer local pubs to relax with buds and have a pint.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Lots of people enjoy The Pal. It is the best singles spot in town and has been for 25 years.

If you don't like it, don't go there. Sheesh.
Haven't been there in years, and the only reason I even went a couple of times was that I gave into peer pressure at the time. Plus, I can think of much better places to meet single girls than a nightclub, where people are falling down drunk and looking for one-night stands. Not my idea of quality relationship material pickings.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Nah. What kills me (with laughter) is that you "cared" so much about what I had to say that you simply HAD to respond to my post (and we both know why, eh Simpy). THAT is what kills me (with laughter)

I've never been a big nightclub guy; much prefer local pubs to relax with buds and have a pint.
I only commented because this is representative of the clueless minority who spend all of their time bemoaning Winnipeg for its Winnipeggers. Like, to your mind, if only you weren't forced to suffer ~690K other mouth-breathing Conservatards we could turn this city into what we all really want. And you just needed to go on record letting everybody know that you hate the Pal.

Are you Fred Armisen?

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 3:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Haven't been there in years, and the only reason I even went a couple of times was that I gave into peer pressure at the time. Plus, I can think of much better places to meet single girls than a nightclub, where people are falling down drunk and looking for one-night stands. Not my idea of quality relationship material pickings.
Great! You have an opinion! Who cares?

I was there too, the week it opened. Not my thing either, I hate cowboy musik. But it is an institution having stayed popular and busy for 30+ years. We need more well run places like this, not less.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I only commented because this is representative of the clueless minority who spend all of their time bemoaning Winnipeg for its Winnipeggers. Like, to your mind, if only you weren't forced to suffer ~690K other mouth-breathing Conservatards we could turn this city into what we all really want. And you just needed to go on record letting everybody know that you hate the Pal.

Are you Fred Armisen?

Video Link
This.
It strikes me that people often form their opinions of others based on where they first see them. If you are going through a small town and experience some down home hospitality you just feel good about it (and them). If you see the exact same people on a trip to Vegas or at the Pal then they are low-brow trailer park types. A little humility tends to make life more enjoyable in my opinion.

One of the reasons I love Winnipeg is because of places like the Pal, the Norwood, the Red Top, Sargent Sundaes, Ray and Jerry's (not a pastel shade in that place -- thank God). I always take out of towners to those places and it amazes me how much they appreciate it. The other shit they can get anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Great! You have an opinion!
Yup! Don't we all have opinions here? We should probably not care what you have to say as well, eh?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I only commented because this is representative of the clueless minority who spend all of their time bemoaning Winnipeg for its Winnipeggers.
Wow, you are the epitome of hypocrisy. You never let me down, Simpy

Enjoy the rest of the convo.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 1:10 AM

Hey, don't sweat it too much about the negative twins, that's all they know how, they need the attention. Anyone who thinks the Pal is the most successful nightclub now is seriously delusional, it's mostly the butt of jokes at this point. And the owner appears delusional too. I'm closing. I'm opening downtown. I'm not opening downtown. I might open somewhere else. His thought processes don't seem too clear right now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Are you Fred Armisen?

Video Link
The Pal is OVER.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The Pal is OVER.
I've never said otherwise. But the Pal had a 30 year run. It doesn't have to be your cup of tea, but it was a Winnipeg institution for the better part of likely both of our lives because it served its constituency well.

I think the Toad is full of patently ridiculous people. And the same goes for Bar Italia (though a different set of ridiculous people). That doesn't mean I think they should be burned to the ground. They're still successful places that cater to a crowd I'd just prefer to have nothing to do with. The city isn't better off with both of those places closed because I'm so precious their very existence offends me.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Hey, don't sweat it too much about the negative twins, that's all they know how, they need the attention. Anyone who thinks the Pal is the most successful nightclub now is seriously delusional, it's mostly the butt of jokes at this point. And the owner appears delusional too. I'm closing. I'm opening downtown. I'm not opening downtown. I might open somewhere else. His thought processes don't seem too clear right now.
I feel like Cary Paul was hoping to get a location for free downtown and thought he would get one fairly easily. Wah wah.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I've never said otherwise. But the Pal had a 30 year run. It doesn't have to be your cup of tea, but it was a Winnipeg institution for the better part of likely both of our lives because it served its constituency well.

I think the Toad is full of patently ridiculous people. And the same goes for Bar Italia (though a different set of ridiculous people). That doesn't mean I think they should be burned to the ground. They're still successful places that cater to a crowd I'd just prefer to have nothing to do with. The city isn't better off with both of those places closed because I'm so precious their very existence offends me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGqN3AKOsA

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:03 AM

Haven't been to a night club in a few years and I haven't been to the pal in approx. 3 years, but from what I recently heard the Pal still has 4 nights a week that a relatively busy - Monday, Thursday - Saturday. Most nightclubs are lucky to have two busy nights a week. Worth noting the only club downtown that has stayed open for more than five years is Whiskey Dix and I'm pretty sure they are only busy two nights a week.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Haven't been to a night club in a few years and I haven't been to the pal in approx. 3 years, but from what I recently heard the Pal still has 4 nights a week that a relatively busy - Monday, Thursday - Saturday. Most nightclubs are lucky to have two busy nights a week. Worth noting the only club downtown that has stayed open for more than five years is Whiskey Dix and I'm pretty sure they are only busy two nights a week.
They're also packed mondays in the summer and have started doing a lot more private events. I wish they would put a kitchen in and stay open weekdays in the summer because they have one of the best patios in the city, it should get more use.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:25 AM

Coming soon signs went up at the old Gio's today. It looked like it said Inotoca, and had really nice designs, Mexican skulls with bright colours. So other it's going to be a (hopefully) really cool restaurant or a Mexican-themed club? Can't find any info online.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The minimum pricing ended the days of most bars having multiple busy nights per week.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:01 PM
Aspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Coming soon signs went up at the old Gio's today. It looked like it said Inotoca, and had really nice designs, Mexican skulls with bright colours. So other it's going to be a (hopefully) really cool restaurant or a Mexican-themed club? Can't find any info online.
I hear it's connected with Scott Bagshaw.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
I hear it's connected with Scott Bagshaw.
That certainly sounds right given that his existing restaurant is called Enoteca. (Great food there by all accounts, but I just can't bring myself to try a supposedly high-end restaurant located in a strip mall by a Mac's.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That certainly sounds right given that his existing restaurant is called Enoteca. (Great food there by all accounts, but I just can't bring myself to try a supposedly high-end restaurant located in a strip mall by a Mac's.)
But it used to be a Quiznos, the 529 of Sandwiches.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 10:10 PM

I really like deseo. Is that a Scott Bagshaw restaurant?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan