HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 4:43 PM

Mother came from Vancouver for a visit this past weekend with me and other family in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario. She took Lynx from Vancouver (via transfer in Calgary?) and thought that it was all a smooth experience from beginning to end. She said the Hamilton airport was convenient to use and she thought it was fun to exit the plane and walk into the terminal. She also acknowledged that she's spoiled by the SkyTrain Canada Line's connection to the Vancouver airport, looking forward to the Calgary LRT line to the airport for future family visits there, and plans to use the UPX in Toronto when she flies home, so she asked if an LRT line to the airport will be the next LRT line in Hamilton after the first one that I told her about. I told her that it's an important corridor and will inevitably get a LRT line some day, but that I don't know of any timeframe for it to be built.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:16 PM

Just returned from LAS via Swoop.

Swoop was great, on time, no issues.

The only complaint I heard from fellow passengers ( are you listening YHM mgmt) is the price of parking.

$30 per day!!

Lets either drop that rate or put that money to good use.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
Just returned from LAS via Swoop.

Swoop was great, on time, no issues.

The only complaint I heard from fellow passengers ( are you listening YHM mgmt) is the price of parking.

$30 per day!!

Lets either drop that rate or put that money to good use.
Yea it's nuts - it used to be A LOT cheaper pre-COVID.

It's actually more expensive than the cheapest parking at Pearson, which is $25/day.

I'm surprised an off-airport parking service hasn't popped up yet, to be honest, like at Pearson, which offers far cheaper parking. Pearson off-airport lots are as cheap as $16/day.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 2:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

There was an off-airport parking, complete with a shuttle ride to the airport. However, it didn't last long.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:35 PM

I'm lucky as I have a friend who lives close to the airport. I park at his home. He drives me to the airport and the day I return he parks my veh at the airport. He emails me a photo of the veh location. Saved me 120 this Trip.

If someone had a small lot cloe to YHM a service like this might make someone some cash money.

Certainly nothing low cost about parking at our low cost airport.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:09 PM

I just take an Uber unless the bus is running. The A-Line is pretty quick.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:13 PM

Ubers work unless you are coming from further away. I parked last time I flew at YHM, but that's only because we were only gone for 3 days and I was worried about getting an uber at like 3am when our return flight landed.

For people travelling from out of town it's hard to dodge the parking costs though as there is basically no regional transit options and Ubers get pricey quickly for regional travel.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Regional transit connectors (just buses!) would make a whole lot of sense for Hamilton airport, Waterloo's... the market may be small, but the service is needed and might just be used if provided.

I did a quick check of YHM's parking rates, and they do not seem outrageous. $30 day max, $150 for a week... Toronto is $38 per day and $215 per week (and then there is Park 'n Fly... which I now refuse to use after they failed to pick me up on schedule a few years ago and I had to delay my flight because of that).

Waterloo is much lower daily ($11 "value" or $16 "premium") but no weekly rate. That may change as passenger services rise.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:22 PM

I believe pre-covid Hamilton's rates were closer to $10/day from what I recall. They only jacked them way up a year or two ago for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:21 PM

I can remember the days of "free parking" as a marketing tool - USAir Express era.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:28 PM

Speaking of parking, YKF has just opened a brand new off-site parking lot with shuttle service. $11/day for shuttle service or $16/day for premium parking.

Crazy for YHM to market themselves as a "low-cost" airport when they charge $30/day, $150/week.

Where is this money going to?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:28 PM

Not that there is an equivalency as the airports are very different but locally (YQG) I think is $50/week. Been that way for quite awhile -- City-owned airport -- there was (briefly) a private operator (Serco) but the City and Serco agreed to terminate the contract about 10 years ago and unbelievably the airport has been more successful under the City of Windsor's governance than it ever was under Serco.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:35 PM

Wow, I had no idea they had cranked the rate up so much. I also recall 70$ a week, maybe 80$, but that is outrageous. For sure a window is open for a third party off site operater

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:26 AM

As JakeLRS has pointed out, me also, where is the parking money going?

Its certainly not improving the lot. Its not in bad shape, not much maintenance required, BUT, last night as i was trying to exit the lot at 2 am 2 of 3 electric arms were not working. Press service button..good luck.

I think its simply gouging, the City if they can should step in.

Lower the prices or actually improve something. Dont ruin a good thing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
As JakeLRS has pointed out, me also, where is the parking money going?

Its certainly not improving the lot. Its not in bad shape, not much maintenance required, BUT, last night as i was trying to exit the lot at 2 am 2 of 3 electric arms were not working. Press service button..good luck.

I think its simply gouging, the City if they can should step in.

Lower the prices or actually improve something. Dont ruin a good thing.
The parking rate is high. I was told it's still lower then Pearson "at the airport parking" and Pearson is raising their rates too. As too where that money goes....good question. I heard that the rates were initially raised for covid recovery and that the recent rate hike is to try and prevent people from parking there so they don’t have to build more parking. If you remember before covid, cars were parked offsite and at Warplane museum. By jacking the the rate they save money to not have to invest in more parking and will make more money. Damage to the gates is probably from people forcing the gates up or driving through them cause they don't want to pay

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 11:47 AM

A good chunk of local traffic like myself either get dropped off, cab or Uber. The larger market, out of towners dont really have a choice. Its that larger market, which the airport needs, thats turned off by the higher rates. Whats the incentive to use YHM if your flight is the same or cheaper at YYZ and parking is roughly the same.

In terms of the electronic gates, everyone trying to leave the other night had a ticket. 2 of the 3 readers were not responding.

Pre covid the lot seemed more full. I would estimate it was at about 60% capacity for my trip.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 4:51 PM

I think I have parked in the long term lot about half a dozen times, with gates not working twice. So annoying (for me and the others behind me). Fully agree, YHM should be the low cost alternative to YYZ (plus got to think a whole bunch of parking is expensed in Toronto, VS pensonal travel out of Hamilton) . I still love the convenience, but at those rates, Uber or taxi will be the solution.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Speaking of parking, YKF has just opened a brand new off-site parking lot with shuttle service. $11/day for shuttle service or $16/day for premium parking.

Crazy for YHM to market themselves as a "low-cost" airport when they charge $30/day, $150/week.

I would guess that parking is a revenue source for TradePort, which helps pay for the operations and maintenance of the facility. At the end of the day, they have to turn a profit, which must be shared with the City of Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I would guess that parking is a revenue source for TradePort, which helps pay for the operations and maintenance of the facility. At the end of the day, they have to turn a profit, which must be shared with the City of Hamilton.
It's also an incentive for the airlines. They get a cut of the parking and concessions. That's something the airport offers that not all other airports do.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post

YKF needed more parking, so the Region paid 100% of it with taxpayers’ money. YHM must fund building parking on its own by borrowing it a paying it back over time.

Also, YKF short-term parking works out to $168 a week and their offsite parking is only $77 a week and you have to allow an extra 20 - 30 or more minutes in travel time.

The term "low-cost" I believe was the type of air fare the airlines were charging.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure