HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
Well it doesn't ALWAYS cause lung cancer!

Not sure about the health of inhaling battery smoke tho. But also probably not the healthiest thing for the people working in the mines to get all the expensive materials you need for your fancy Tesla. Personally, I prefer a car that gives me lots of range and horsepower.
what agenda are you pushing, and why?

This is the climate change discussion thread.

funny how you showed up in August and dove straight into political threads. What was your username previously?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Not everyone lives in a city. Die mad about it lol
nm

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
So, smoke for lung cancer, and carbon emissions to cook the planet?
Pray tell, from where comes the electricity to power your Tesla? And the energy to mine the raw materials, refine and transport them, then manufacture the car and ship it to the dealer?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Pray tell, from where comes the electricity to power your Tesla? And the energy to mine the raw materials, refine and transport them, then manufacture the car and ship it to the dealer?
It's almost as if, we could use renewable energy sources like wind and solar to produce electricity to power them..

Are EVs perfect? No, of course there's still environmental concerns producing them. But they're still way less damaging to the environment than combustion vehicles.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Oompa Loompas do all of the real work.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Pray tell, from where comes the electricity to power your Tesla?
This dumb American talking point doesn't apply in Canada, a country with one of the cleanest grids in the world, where 80% of power generation is nuclear or hydro.

But even if it were 100% coal powered, an EV running on such a grid still has lower emissions than the average car. Would basically be on par with a hybrid.

Quote:
And the energy to mine the raw materials, refine and transport them, then manufacture the car and ship it to the dealer?
From the same commodities that are used to make the clothes you wear, the laptop you type on and the house you live in. By the way, the car you drive has about 80% of the same materials. So if this is a huge concern, I assume you'll be giving up your car too.

But here's what those dumbass Fox News talking pointdexters don't get: most EV drivers don't care that much about the environment. If they did, they'd take the bus. They drive an EV because it's better for them. Simple as that. It's an added benefit to society, that it also cuts down to emissions.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 7:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Alberta actually is poised to potentially be a major source of lithium for EV batteries. Whatcha gonna do now?!?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:48 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Only if we dump the Joker though! Fingers crossed for Mr. 11%

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Great chart, and it does show that electrifying transportation will make a huge difference.

Thankfully it's more a matter of economics that will solve that problem for us, and have a resulting impact on our oil & gas numbers (thanks to reduced demand)...
What it also shows is how much steeper the challenge is for Canada, after decades of inaction. If we intended to keep pumping oil, we should have been working overtime on electrifying everything else and helping the oil and gas sector to cut emissions.

And now there's this:

Quote:
Herbert Diess is worried. Why? Because the Volkswagen Group CEO sees Tesla and a host of Chinese car companies in the rear-view mirror and moving up fast. Last Thursday, he and Ralf Brandstätter, head of the Volkswagen brand, held a meeting with 120 senior managers at the company’s primary factory in Wolfsburg. Their message was clear — Volkswagen risks falling behind the competition unless it makes big changes in its manufacturing facilities. “We have great responsibility for this location,” Diess said. “We have to accept the new competition. We need the will to live and a jolt at this location.”

According to Business Insider, Diess said Tesla and many Chinese manufacturers are now producing cars cheaper and faster. The quality of their vehicles is getting better and now rivals European standards. According to Kearney, a management consultancy, more than 70% of Chinese customers plan to buy their next premium vehicle from a Chinese manufacturer because they make top quality vehicles at an affordable price. German models like the ID.4 simply can’t keep up.

To remain competitive, Diess is prescribing what can only be described as open heart surgery for the main factory in Wolfsburg. Old buildings will need to be demolished and new production halls built in order to make the manufacturing process more efficient.

Brandstätter agrees. He says there is an urgent necessity to improving the Wolfsburg factory to meet the competition from Tesla at its new factory in Grüneheide, where a Model 3 takes only 10 hours to build. An ID. 3 built at Zwickau reportedly takes three times longer to manufacture, according to leaks from the executive meeting.
Source: https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/03...sburg-factory/

People keep ignoring the threat of transition because they don't want to acknowledge how disruptive it is, or because they naively believe acknowledging it somehow shows a lack of support for the energy sector. If this disruption is hitting Germany, just imagine what it's going to do to Canada.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Alberta actually is poised to potentially be a major source of lithium for EV batteries. Whatcha gonna do now?!?
People will complain about the “open pit” lithium mines.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There is a company in Calgary that has developed a technique to bind the necessary particles together negating the need for open pits and enabling extraction from existing oil wells.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There already is a mine in Northern Alberta. As mentioned above it uses techniques from the oil industry. It was found first in fracking fluid.

Alberta’s oil fields hold large deposits of lithium in subsurface brine. This subsurface lithium-brine has long been overlooked as industrial waste from oil field operations. Now, technologies known as direct lithium extraction (DLE) are being developed to access Alberta’s lithium-brine potential in many of the same reservoirs as Alberta’s existing oil and gas resources.

https://www.mccarthy.ca/en/insights/...um%20producer.

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...-and-gas-wells

https://www.e3metalscorp.com/projects

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:09 PM
Near Generational

I've been watching E3metals and Pure Energy and nascent lithium miners, but are pre production so tough to invest in. Still feels a bit too early to me.

I've had a position in MP Materials since they came public via SPAC merger. It's done ok. (Would have done a lot better if not for some horsefeathers secondary offering that diluted the existing shareholders.)

My portfolio is kinda funny. It's equal parts things I know, like O&G/Utilities and things I'm hopeful for, like EVs and RNG plays.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 4:31 PM

Been working on a large solar project (2500 panels). the contractor hired 14 new staff a few weeks back. said they are that busy. Just in Alberta. Has more staff being hired in their Sask office soon.

Same project is swapping out over a 1000 lights (incandescent and fluorescent) with new LED.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Indeed. Hence, the global push to electrify everything.
Does that include barbecues? Are they gonna ban propane grills? If that happens, I see no choice other than [REDACTED]

Quote:
Know this. At the end of the day, the denialism of your ilk will do more damage to the Canadian oil and gas sector than anything any eco zealot could ever dream of. Sadly, you're too partisan to get it and you'll be ranting about Trudeau in your wheelchair at the old folks home in 2050.

Fat chance. China wants oil and they don't care from where it comes.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Does that include barbecues? Are they gonna ban propane grills? If that happens, I see no choice other than [REDACTED]
I have a small electric grill. It actually does a great job, and no hassles with changing/filling tanks.

I have charcoal for "real" BBQ.

I do love my gas range inside though, but I think we could supply enough renewable NG for cooking only.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Charcoal can be made in a sustainable manner.

And in any event, what you cook with when barbecuing is pretty far down the list of priorities to electrify.

Quote:
Growing countries have lots of energy needs. But China is also the country that is going flat out to electrify transportation. Isn't exactly in their interest to be dependent on imported oil.

Also, a lot of developed countries are doing to skip the fossil fuel stage, just like they skipped landlines.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:

Yep, China is desperate for coal, gas and oil now. There is a lot of naive thinking about fossil fuels on this forum, in part because in Canada we produce so much more than we need that we can be cavalier about supply and make fanciful promises of NET zero that we will never keep. Other parts of the world are in a mad scramble for fossil fuels because they wrongly thought they could transition away from coal, oil, and gas with unreliable renewables. Winter is coming and no country wants to be relying on wind and solar for power and heat.

Demand for coal and natural gas has exceeded pre-COVID-19 highs with oil not far behind, dealing a setback to hopes the pandemic would spur a faster transition to clean energy from fossil fuels.

Global natural gas shortages, record gas and coal prices, a power crunch in China and a three-year high on oil prices all tell one story - demand for energy has roared back and the world still needs fossil fuels to meet most of those energy needs.

"The energy transition and decarbonisation are decade-long strategies and do not happen overnight."

Global coal supplies are tight because China, responsible for around half of global output, has tightened safety regulations at mines after a spate of accidents, sapping supply.

That has left China importing more coal from Indonesia, in turn leaving less for other importers such as India.

Global coal demand is set for with a 4.5% increase this year, pushing beyond 2019 levels.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...ht-2021-10-04/

Canada is on pace to fall well short of its emissions goals, according to a new government-funded report that says the country’s current strategies will reduce its greenhouse gas output by only 16 per cent, relative to 2005 levels, by 2030 – a far cry from the 40-per-cent cut that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised.

the report finds limited potential for greenhouse gas reductions this decade from transportation, which accounts for approximately a quarter of all national emissions. That’s partly because large freight, responsible for about half of transportation emissions, is “the most challenging sector to decarbonize today.” And the shift to electric passenger vehicles, even if helped along by the promised sales quotas, will happen fairly slowly because of gas-fuelled vehicles’ long lifespans.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...te-commitment/

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:40 PM

Posted in the Provincial Economy thread but will post this here as well.

Dow to build a Zero Carbon Plastics Plant in Ft Sask.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301393405.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:04 PM
Near Generational

That's really good news for that facility. It was on shaky financial ground for a while. The generator was the only thing keeping it afloat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada