HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I think the biggest risk for the General Hospital parking structure is that those calling for it turn out to have been a vocal minority and many prefer the free onstreet option. Time will tell.
That risk would be tiny.

There’s something like a 15 year waitlist for staff parking (could be longer now). Street parking isn’t a viable option for people working there. People might prefer street parking if it was truly free, but 2 or 3 parking tickets a day adds up quickly. People going to quick appointments might, but they’d be in the minority. Anyone there more than a couple of hours isn’t going to opt for street parking unless they’re able to move their vehicle every 2 hours (and that’s if you can find a spot).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
That risk would be tiny.

There’s something like a 15 year waitlist for staff parking (could be longer now). Street parking isn’t a viable option for people working there. People might prefer street parking if it was truly free, but 2 or 3 parking tickets a day adds up quickly. People going to quick appointments might, but they’d be in the minority. Anyone there more than a couple of hours isn’t going to opt for street parking unless they’re able to move their vehicle every 2 hours (and that’s if you can find a spot).
Saskatoon has a parkade. It still sucks a lot.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
SHA has enough on their hands. They know nothing about parking. Leave it to the pros. Let them bear some of the risks as well.
Haha so that means SHA/we can’t own the building and have a private operator pay us instead of the other way around? Come on man.

Edit: why even have a private operator? It’s a freaking parkade. Put out a tender to build it and have the public own and operate it.

Last edited by djforsberg; Feb 11, 2023 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
You don't get SHA to built it, you get private contractors. But once it's built, then SHA owns it (and can even contract out the management, if needed). It's the same as how government owns most of its buildings...even though the government isn't in the business of buildings.

No reason to make the parkade more expensive just to make a profit for a third party.

A better example would be saying you want to live in a house (and have the money), but instead of buying one, you pay to have someone build one and then rent it from them. If you're already paying to build it, then why not own it?
I had this same argument about public housing with one particular poster. I don’t know why people think that being against P3s or whatever this new BS is means the public owner should handle everything. Clearly that’s not what I mean. All this is is a free handout to private interests. You know, the welfare that right-wingers hate when it goes to people.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
There are 130 kids in Holy Rosary, up from 95 when they threatened to close it a few years ago. Any new schools will be P3 because the provincial government won't do single builds anymore. I'm surprised they didn't force Connaught into a dual build with the Catholic division. Given that HR could close as soon as this June, there isn't time for a new build.

This year, construction starts for the joint school to replace McDermid/Imperial/StPeter/StMichael at the former Imperial site.

https://leaderpost.com/news/design-p...inas-northwest
Is this school a P3? The article says nothing of that. I thought the P3 model was used for the warehouse-esque looking schools in Harbour Landing and the Greens (and numerous other locations around the province) but I haven't seen anything confirming the P3 model for Argyle School or this new one.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Saskatoon has a parkade. It still sucks a lot.
Sure, it will still suck, but people aren’t going to choose street parking over it unless it’s full (within the realm of possibility given roughly 800 spots for, let’s say 1500 people on a slow day) or they’re physically capable of walking and are only going for a short visit or have the ability to move their vehicle every 2 hours. I suppose there are some who would park further away to get free parking, but certainly not enough that a parkade isn’t viable.

I am curious how much they’ll charge staff for parking. Current rates are well under $100/month for full time staff and are prorated for casual or part time.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 2:20 AM

Pile driving wrapping up. Starting to setup scaffolding for the form work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 6:56 AM

Construction of Regina’s New Urgent Care Centre is now 50% complete

https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/02/10/c...cent-complete/

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Feb 11, 2023 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
Is this school a P3? The article says nothing of that. I thought the P3 model was used for the warehouse-esque looking schools in Harbour Landing and the Greens (and numerous other locations around the province) but I haven't seen anything confirming the P3 model for Argyle School or this new one.
The new rebuilds (north and south) are not P3s, but are joint-operations between the Public and Catholic boards. They will be very close in design to the P3s, however, as those followed modern school design standards (as did other recent non-P3 builds, such as Connaught, Sacred Heart, etc).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 6:28 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/02/13/a...ity-of-regina/
Agriculture playing ‘huge role’ for City of Regina
Agriculture is the heartbeat of Saskatchewan’s economy, with the Land of the Living Skies exporting over $17 billion in agri-food products.

Now the province’s capital is looking to be ‘the hub’ for everything agriculture in the province.

Mayor Sandra Masters said agriculture has never played a bigger role in the City of Regina than it does now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/02/13/a...ity-of-regina/
Agriculture playing ‘huge role’ for City of Regina
Agriculture is the heartbeat of Saskatchewan’s economy, with the Land of the Living Skies exporting over $17 billion in agri-food products.

Now the province’s capital is looking to be ‘the hub’ for everything agriculture in the province.

Mayor Sandra Masters said agriculture has never played a bigger role in the City of Regina than it does now.
Sandra Masters, mayor of only the desirable areas of Regina.

Quote:
We do have holmes for rent. Part of the issue around that is where those places for rent are, aren’t necessarily desirable.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:15 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Sandra Masters, mayor of only the desirable areas of Regina.
As a realist, it's a fair statement. If you were in the market for a new house, would you pick a place listed for $50,000 in North Central? Affordable way to get into the market, right?

The first stage of trying to fix a problem, is to recognize it and not pretend it doesn't exist. Areas of our city have major issues... crime, homelessness, gangs, drug use, run down housing, etc. I'm not saying she's doing a good job addressing issues, but I don't think it would go over well if she said "I don't know why people say that there is a lack of available, affordable housing, there is plenty of availability in North Central and North of the General Hospital!"

Very "let them eat cake"

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 11:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As a realist, it's a fair statement. If you were in the market for a new house, would you pick a place listed for $50,000 in North Central? Affordable way to get into the market, right?

The first stage of trying to fix a problem, is to recognize it and not pretend it doesn't exist. Areas of our city have major issues... crime, homelessness, gangs, drug use, run down housing, etc. I'm not saying she's doing a good job addressing issues, but I don't think it would go over well if she said "I don't know why people say that there is a lack of available, affordable housing, there is plenty of availability in North Central and North of the General Hospital!"

Very "let them eat cake"
I just think it’s weird for the mayor to be saying it. Especially when she’s responsible for making this city desirable and the fact her words mean something and have real consequences. Also, it’s straight up suggesting the people living in those areas are unsavoury. It’s very dehumanizing. I may not want to live in those areas but others might. Do they not matter? This mayor is extremely out of touch and only represents the most privileged in this city.

Last edited by djforsberg; Feb 14, 2023 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:55 PM

Yeah, she makes a real push for more sprawl in her statements.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 1:15 AM

Quote:
I just think it’s weird for the mayor to be saying it. Especially when she’s responsible for making this city desirable and the fact her words mean something and have real consequences. Also, it’s straight up suggesting the people living in those areas are unsavoury. It’s very dehumanizing. I may not want to live in those areas but others might. Do they not matter? This mayor is extremely out of touch and only represents the most privileged in this city.
Weird for a Mayor to speak the truth?

Or weird that the Mayor doesn’t wave her magic wand and fix the decades of problems created by the last several mayors? So in 2007 when McLeans wrote the North Central Article that was Fiacco. And then 5 yrs later that was Fougere for 8 yrs. Mayor Masters has been in for what? 2 yrs and 3 months and it’s somehow soley her fault/requirement to wave the magic wand and fix it all?

That quote is fact. Straight fact of Regina. It’s a straight fact of decades upon decades of poor management and policies.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Weird for a Mayor to speak the truth?

Or weird that the Mayor doesn’t wave her magic wand and fix the decades of problems created by the last several mayors? So in 2007 when McLeans wrote the North Central Article that was Fiacco. And then 5 yrs later that was Fougere for 8 yrs. Mayor Masters has been in for what? 2 yrs and 3 months and it’s somehow soley her fault/requirement to wave the magic wand and fix it all?

That quote is fact. Straight fact of Regina. It’s a straight fact of decades upon decades of poor management and policies.
I am not surprised that you don’t understand why it’s inappropriate of the mayor to say these kind of things about the city she leads. I don’t care to try to help you understand considering your history of not being able to learn new things.

Last edited by djforsberg; Feb 15, 2023 at 12:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
The new rebuilds (north and south) are not P3s, but are joint-operations between the Public and Catholic boards. They will be very close in design to the P3s, however, as those followed modern school design standards (as did other recent non-P3 builds, such as Connaught, Sacred Heart, etc).
Architecturally, at least on the exterior, those non-P3 schools look leaps and bounds better than the P3's. The P3 builds have exteriors that look like stacked up shipping containers or almost a prison vibe going on.

I know what matters is what happens inside the buildings, but in the case of Harbour Landing, it's bursting at the seams.

I'm just happy knowing that when the time comes that my kids will be going to a newly built and hopefully well-designed school in Lakeview.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
Architecturally, at least on the exterior, those non-P3 schools look leaps and bounds better than the P3's. The P3 builds have exteriors that look like stacked up shipping containers or almost a prison vibe going on.

I know what matters is what happens inside the buildings, but in the case of Harbour Landing, it's bursting at the seams.

I'm just happy knowing that when the time comes that my kids will be going to a newly built and hopefully well-designed school in Lakeview.
The stacked up shipping containers are so-called portable classrooms. The idea is that when the school population drops, in theory, those classrooms can be moved out. The problem with having so much of a school as portables is that these classrooms do not have water and, while they house a lot of students, the required bathrooms for the school is based on permanent structure, not permanent structure plus portables. WS Hawrylak was really lacking bathrooms and eventually transformed their music room into a row of individual washrooms.

In Harbour Landing, had council made developers stick to the original development plan and the planned density, the school likely would've been alright, but changing on the fly and upping density so developers could make more money, ended up in a mess.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:03 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/02/15/r...deral-funding/
Regina-based Protein Industries Canada receives 150 million dollars in federal funding

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I am not surprised that you don’t understand why it’s inappropriate of the mayor to say these kind of things about the city she leads. I don’t care to try to help you understand considering your history of not being able to learn new things.
good god the arrogance that pours out of you is unbelievable!

I cannot wait for you to run for Mayor in the next election, clearly you are the vaulted leader of all and have the solutions, pull, and power to wave your magic wand and solve all the problems of the City with poise and grace that hasn't been seen in 20 years!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan