HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:53 PM

Tennis1400:

I agree about H&M and the sidewalk cafés. Although I don't necessarily agree about the street performers. When there's a lot of people there is a sense of security and working on Canal Street myself I can attest to the fact that later in the afternoon when there is not a lot of people it can seem a little uncomfortable (closer to Claiborne). I really hope Canal can develop from the river down to at least Claiborne. I hope 1501 and 1201 Canal can get off the ground as well, and the Iberville redevelopment. It seems like Canal by Claiborne is a wasteland, hope we can change that in the upcoming years!

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Tennis1400:

I agree about H&M and the sidewalk cafés. Although I don't necessarily agree about the street performers. When there's a lot of people there is a sense of security and working on Canal Street myself I can attest to the fact that later in the afternoon when there is not a lot of people it can seem a little uncomfortable (closer to Claiborne). I really hope Canal can develop from the river down to at least Claiborne. I hope 1501 and 1201 Canal can get off the ground as well, and the Iberville redevelopment. It seems like Canal by Claiborne is a wasteland, hope we can change that in the upcoming years!
I guess on the street performers I was overgeneralizing, but try eating in a sidewalk cafe when a guy is blaring a jukebox trying and I emphasize trying to tapdance and its a bit grating. As for street vendors, installing several permanent newstand like vending facilities could be a happy medium. And the tshirt ban that exists in the quarter needs to extend to Canal. Also, there needs to be better cross signals.. Being such a wide street it needs to better emphasize pedestrians and their safety. One last idea would be for the city to build or have private garages opt into a program where parking can be comped if someone purchases items at certain stores on Canal. Details on the system not to be abused would have to be worked out of course.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Tennis1400:

You don't have to spend any time hoping the Iberville gets redeveloped.

It made the cut from 42 initial applicants for Neighborhood Choice down to 4 and all signs point to it being selected.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Honestly I would give H&M the space because it would be enough of a catalyst to change the area more than anything else along with the Saenger. The city also needs to encourage more sidewalk cafes on the street. The more people the safer it feels and get rid of panhandlers and street performers thats what the quarter is for!
I would tend to believe that H&M will be heavily pursued as a tenant for the Iberville mixed-use redevelopment.

You should also see a full court press for a upper to high end retail anchor such as Macy's, Dillard's or even Nordstrom's for it as well.

Given that this retail development will be bordered on one side by the LSU/VA with it's 2000 upper income employees and bordered on the other side by a flourishing theater district (by that time at least) which will bring big numbers of foot traffic to that block we should snag on of them.

All of these projects - Broadway South, Iberville Mixed-Use Redevelopment, Continued Canal Street Condo construction, LSU/VA, et al - on their own will not bring about the rebirth of Canal but their combined critical mass certainly will.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:47 PM

Can someone with a CityBusiness subscription give me a summary of what this article states:

"Largest local law firms keeping their summer associate programs lean"

Law students from other parts of the country who attend Loyola and Tulane often end up staying in NOLA upon graduation when they have participated in a summer program.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I guess on the street performers I was overgeneralizing, but try eating in a sidewalk cafe when a guy is blaring a jukebox trying and I emphasize trying to tapdance and its a bit grating. As for street vendors, installing several permanent newstand like vending facilities could be a happy medium. And the tshirt ban that exists in the quarter needs to extend to Canal. Also, there needs to be better cross signals..
Sounds like any touristy neighborhood in New York or anywhere else. Thing is, tourists seem to enjoy these things for some reason.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
I would tend to believe that H&M will be heavily pursued as a tenant for the Iberville mixed-use redevelopment.

You should also see a full court press for a upper to high end retail anchor such as Macy's, Dillard's or even Nordstrom's for it as well.
I'm hoping for Bloomingdale's, but that may be a little too high-end for Canal Street. If it were to open, the best spot for it would be at the base of the third Canal Place tower, or simply on that site, but without a tower above it. Parking wouldn't be a concern, since Canal Place already has a large garage and a validation program.

I'd take Macy's as a second, though... I'm still a little bitter about Macy's destroying the Marshall Fields name, but they have a far better menswear selection than most other department stores, which don't really sell much of anything beyond perfume and pantsuits.

I also think a DSW would work really well on Canal. It's pretty easy to stop shoplifting in a shoe store, since the boxes/merchandise are tricky to conceal. DSW would be popular with all demographics in the city... plus, it might help put the sleazier shoe stores on Canal out of business, or at least encourage them to move elsewhere in the city and jumpstart life on St. Claude or Claiborne.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Can someone with a CityBusiness subscription give me a summary of what this article states:

"Largest local law firms keeping their summer associate programs lean"

Law students from other parts of the country who attend Loyola and Tulane often end up staying in NOLA upon graduation when they have participated in a summer program.
Done. Looks like cutbacks for summer programs at the local law firms.

As far Canal St...An H&M or similar store opening up would be a great thing to see. The article stated that something is on the way to the 1000 block of Canal. We'll see what it is.

I'm also glad to hear the Iberville redevelopment is now on the short list.

Quote:
Largest local law firms keeping their summer associate programs lean
The tough economy has changed the way summer associate programs are structured, recruiters from New Orleans’ largest law firms say
POSTED: 09:07 AM Wednesday, May 18, 2011
BY: Jenny Peterson, Associate Editor
TAGS: Adams and Reese, Chaffe McCall, Coleman Ridley, jobs for new attorneys, Johnny Domiano, Jones Walker, law clerks, Phelps Dunbar, summer associate program, Tory Nieset

The summer associate program for law school students historically has marked the first real-world experience for those training for the profession.
Law students, typically in their first or second year, are brought into firms for the summer, introduced to practicing attorneys and given practical experience. If they prove to be a good fit, they typically are offered a full-time job after graduation.

But the tough economy has changed the way summer associate programs are structured, recruiters from New Orleans’ largest law firms say. From scaling back on the number of summer associates as well as shortening the program’s length, many firms are carefully choosing their hiring prospects and monitoring their bottom line more closely.

Chaffe McCall is the only firm among the city’s largest reporting that it will have the exact same number of summer associates as last year. Phelps Dunbar will have none in its New Orleans.

Tory Nieset, director of legal personnel and recruiting at Phelps Dunbar, said the firm is still planning to hire its eight summer associates from last year.

“At this point we’re working on hiring lateral candidates — attorneys who have a year or two of experience,” Nieset said. “(We’ll) interview a third-year (student) and bring them in as a law clerk for a shorter amount of time, like one or two weeks instead of six weeks.”

Firms still taking on summer associates report that the program length has been shortened.

Jones Walker, the city’s largest firm with 149 attorneys locally, reduced its program from 12 to six weeks several years ago.

“In the early 2000s and late 1990s, we peaked at (summer associate) classes in excess of 30,” said Coleman Ridley, co-chairman of Jones Walker’s hiring and recruiting committee. “More recently, we had a high of 19 five years ago, and right now we’re averaging nine to 10 law clerks. We’re just getting better at guesstimating the number of permanent offers we want to extend. We don’t bring in nine or 10 (associates) and make them fight it out for one spot.”

A rough economy for lawyers throughout the country has also resulted in firms receiving more out-of-state resumes, making the local pool even more competitive.

“We are constantly receiving and reviewing lateral candidates and making those hires, as well as seeing extraordinary resumes because of the economy,” Ridley said.

Johnny Domiano, a partner with Adams and Reese, said that while the firm’s second-year law student summer associate numbers remain steady, the scope of the program continues to depend on the firm’s projected needs.

“The pool of candidates seems to be getting more competitive each year. It seems that over the last couple of years, more so nationally than locally, large law firms have reduced the size of their summer associate and full-time associate classes,” Domaino said. “This has left many strong prospects without summer or full-time jobs.”

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:01 PM
-

New items on Bidclerk:

Freret Streetscape Project
1441317 New Orleans, LA Sidewalks / Parking Lot 05/19/2011
Description Bid Number: 5001-00996 Description: Freret Streetscape Scope: Removal of Exisitng Sidewalk New Concrete Sidewalks (4" Thick) in Neutral Ground Existing Tree Prunning and Arborist Work Sawcutting Existing Concrete Curb The owner has a...Click here for complete Project Details

No Idea what this is for?

1593740 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential, Retail 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of 12 apartment units and four retail spaces totaling approximately 40,000 square feet. The owner has determined a list of select general con...Click here for complete Project Details

I think the next two have to do with the Hotel Monteleone but Im not sure!
1593764 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain hospitality development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the 60,000-square-foot renovation of a hotel to include flooring, painting, carpentry and doors on floors eight through 18. The owner has d...Click here for complete Project Details

1593745 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a hospitality development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of three ballrooms in an existing hotel totaling approximately 25,000 square feet. The owner has determined a list of select general contra...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 9:59 PM
-

A little off topic but I figured some people here might be interested in checking this out. Nice view of the skyline behind screen as well!

Drive-In Movie this Saturday night on top of the old Schwegmanns at 300 N .Broad... Bikes and Cars welcome and there will be some food trucks out there as well. For audio you just tune your car to a certain radio station.

http://business.fsjna.org/2011/04/drive-in-returns/

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
New items on Bidclerk:

Freret Streetscape Project
1441317 New Orleans, LA Sidewalks / Parking Lot 05/19/2011
Description Bid Number: 5001-00996 Description: Freret Streetscape Scope: Removal of Exisitng Sidewalk New Concrete Sidewalks (4" Thick) in Neutral Ground Existing Tree Prunning and Arborist Work Sawcutting Existing Concrete Curb The owner has a...Click here for complete Project Details

No Idea what this is for?

1593740 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential, Retail 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of 12 apartment units and four retail spaces totaling approximately 40,000 square feet. The owner has determined a list of select general con...Click here for complete Project Details

I think the next two have to do with the Hotel Monteleone but Im not sure!
1593764 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a national chain hospitality development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the 60,000-square-foot renovation of a hotel to include flooring, painting, carpentry and doors on floors eight through 18. The owner has d...Click here for complete Project Details

1593745 New Orleans, LA Hotel / Motel 05/19/2011
Description Renovation of a hospitality development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of three ballrooms in an existing hotel totaling approximately 25,000 square feet. The owner has determined a list of select general contra...Click here for complete Project Details
Likely the Gibbs project on Poydras by the Civic.

Last one could be the Drury?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
-

New bids on Dodgereport

Lakefront Airport Terminal Building Interior Reconstruction
201100507768 v. 1
Dodge Project Report
Airline Terminal GC Bidding $7,200,000 LA (Orleans)

Central Yard Annex Building Replacement (Katrina Related)
201100505792 v. 1
Dodge Project Report
Office GC Bidding $2,500,000 LA (Orleans)

The Blood Center (Tenant Fit Up)
201100503247 v. 1
Dodge Project Report
Clinic/Medical Office GC Bidding-Invitation $2,500,000 LA (Orleans)

St. Bernard Parish Government Courthouse Square Project
201100507023 v. 1
Dodge Project Report
Capitol/ Courthouse/City Hall GC Bidding $4,900,000 LA (St. bernard)

St Bernard Parish School Board Administration Building Renov
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Specs and Addendum
Office GC Bidding $1,100,000 LA (St. bernard)

LA/DOT Signal Improvements Lakefront/Holy Cross
200700919768 v. 7
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Spec and Addenda
Railroad Bidding $5,000,000 LA (Orleans)

Receivables Exchange in Chevron Place (Interior Renovations)
201100486457 v. 2
Dodge Project Report
Office GC Bidding-Invitation $600,000 LA (Orleans)

Lacoste Elementary School
201100454527 v. 8
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Specs and Addenda
Primary School Bid Results $21,968,000 LA (St. bernard)

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:40 PM

Le Petite Theatre du Vieux Carre

Le Petite Theatre, which has been closed for the past year, could pair up with Dickie Brennan's to use part of the building for a restaurant in order to revive the building.

Having personally been inside the theatre many times, there is definitely space for a cafe, restaurant, reception hall, and main stage, and probably more. Right now there is too much wasted space, especially on the second and third floors, not making the facility money; and I think this partnership could be the best thing for one of the city's greatest treasures. It would also add some investment/buzz to the core of the French Quarter.

I hope it happens.

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...n_restaur.html

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Le Petite Theatre, which has been closed for the past year, could pair up with Dickie Brennan's to use part of the building for a restaurant in order to revive the building.

Having personally been inside the theatre many times, there is definitely space for a cafe, restaurant, reception hall, and main stage, and probably more. Right now there is too much wasted space, especially on the second and third floors, not making the facility money; and I think this partnership could be the best thing for one of the city's greatest treasures. It would also add some investment/buzz to the core of the French Quarter.

I hope it happens.

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...n_restaur.html
Here's a bit of inside baseball on this project from the most well connected blogger in NOLA.

Not sure if I support this if true.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 2:09 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Most Livable View Post
Here's a bit of inside baseball on this project from the most well connected blogger in NOLA.

Not sure if I support this if true.
I like the place as it is. Have to see more details but a hybrid theatre could possibly be the ticket to its financial stability. Something akin to the Canal Place Theatres/Gusto partnership.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What are you referring to? The railroads don't need any extra land to do Rail Gateway, and the city is a huge beneficiary of that project due to the various grade separations and so forth. The city would be very stupid to blackmail NS like this.
I didn't know anything about Rail Gateway until I googled it after reading your comment. I found a few presentations like this one: http://www.ltrc.lsu.edu/ltc_09/pdf/Goodell,%20Dean.pdf.

So my question to anyone who knows is, is the Middle Belt alternative going to happen? It seems like a great idea, and an obvious choice to anyone who's ever looked at a map of New Orleans, or had to wait 15 minutes at Metairie Road for a train to pass.

My second question is, when they say "separate/close" grade crossings, do they mean to car traffic? or build bridges above them? or what exactly?

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 6:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
So my question to anyone who knows is, is the Middle Belt alternative going to happen? It seems like a great idea, and an obvious choice to anyone who's ever looked at a map of New Orleans, or had to wait 15 minutes at Metairie Road for a train to pass.
Well, the planners/engineers are weighing whether to elevate the Back Belt rail line through Old Metairie, which involves several new underpasses and some closures that are sure to be unpopular, or to build the new Middle Belt alignment, which requires rebuilding parts of the Carrollton Interchange. Whichever option is cheapest is probably the one that moves forward.

Quote:
My second question is, when they say "separate/close" grade crossings, do they mean to car traffic? or build bridges above them? or what exactly?
Either the crossings will be grade-separated with overpasses or closed to all car/truck traffic. Either way, the conflict between rail and cars is eliminated entirely along the corridor. Separations are planned for Live Oak Blvd and Willswood Lane in Waggaman, Avondale Garden Road in Avondale, Labarre, Hollywood/Stroelitz, Farnham/Bella, Metairie Road, and Carrollton Ave in Metairie, and then Read Blvd, Michoud Blvd, and Industrial Pkwy in NO East.

Closures are planned for every other grade crossing along the corridor, including the notable closures of Central Avenue in Metairie and then both Gentilly Road crossings in NO East. The only grade crossings to remain will be the ones at trainyards.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, the planners/engineers are weighing whether to elevate the Back Belt rail line through Old Metairie, which involves several new underpasses and some closures that are sure to be unpopular, or to build the new Middle Belt alignment, which requires rebuilding parts of the Carrollton Interchange. Whichever option is cheapest is probably the one that moves forward.
Thanks. I'm really hoping for the Alternate Route, in fact, I hope the city/state uses the opportunity to redo the Carrollton Interchange in other ways - like having the ability to accommodate streetcars underneath the existing tracks, and I'm sure many of the fly-over ramps have outlived their design life anyway.

Besides, if they dismantle the Old Metairie route, they could restore some street grid and sell many lots of land off to pay for some of the project.

If anyone involved with the railroad knows whether a decision has been made, please tell us.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:37 PM
-

Reading New Orleans citybusiness I see that Irvin Mayfield is planning a new Jazz Venue called The Irvin Mayfield I Club to open by July inside the JW Marriot. Dubbed as an upscale, luxurious destination that delivers true New Orleans music, the 120 person capacity venue will be a two level nightclub and artists will span genres of blues, zydeco, gospel, funk and DJs.
I know the JW Marriot was just sold to new owners so not surprised to see some new amenities being announced for the property. This sounds nice, hoep the decor is done well because I could see myself frequenting this place and having some apps at Shulas before the shows.

Also, it appears The Mcdonnell Group won the bid for the first phase of the new jail. Work is expected to start July 1st.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 11:50 PM

Downtown Developement District

Received the following from the DDD

823 Canal Street Undergoing Major Facade Renovation;
DDD Facade Improvement Matching Grant Aids Project

There is a major historic renovation underway at 823 Canal Street, the site of an Italianate commercial building originally constructed in the 1890's. Since then, two major renovations have taken place, including the removal of the historic architectural elements in the 1950's, and a further alteration in the 1970's.

With the assistance of a DDD Facade Improvement Matching Grant, property owners at 823 Canal Street are working to restore the facade to its original design. The work includes the removal of a steel exterior stairway, installation of six windows matching the original architecture, new paint, glass, and stucco.

"This project is significant for many reasons," says DDD Retail Attraction Specialist Ryan Bordenave. "Not only is this an investment in the facade of the building, but it will help the DDD and the property owner in efforts to attract a national brand retailer to the property. Futhermore, the neighboring property owner is also now considering an historic renovation to the facade of his property at 827 Canal Street."

The renovations at 823 and 827 Canal Street are part of a three-block improvement strategy, and these two projects will complete the 800 block. The restoration of the facades in the 800 block of Canal Street will greatly aid the DDD in its retail attraction efforts by creating a much more inviting environment.

For more information on the DDD's Facade Improvement Matching Grant program, visit www.neworleansdowntown.com/facade_grant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Louisiana Cancer Research Center Nearing Completion

The 172,000 square foot, state-of-the-art Louisiana Cancer Research Center is nearing completion. Located at the corner of Tulane and Claiborne Avenues, the new facility will be an anchor of BioDistrict New Orleans--together with the University Medical Center, the VA Hospital, the New Orleans BioInnovation Center, medical schools and other health and research facilities.

The 10-story building will include 21,000 square feet of office space, 36,000 square feet of wet lab space, and 11,000 square feet of animal research space. There is also 50,000 square feet of expansion space on the fifth and sixth floors.

The Center is scheduled to open in September of 2011. It will be operated by the Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium (LCRC) and its partners. The mission of LCRC is to develop a coordinated cancer research and education program that will optimize discovery and development of innovative cancer therapies; lead to innovative clinical treatment programs offering new opportunities for early detection, treatment and prevention of cancer in the New Orleans region; and promote regional economic growth.

For more information, visit www.lcrc.info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music Voyager to Air in New Orleans Sunday

'The Music Voyager,' a music and travel television series, will air in New Orleans on Sunday, May 22 at noon on Louisiana Public Broadcasting (LPB-HD).

In 2010, the DDD partnered with Music Voyager production teams to co-produce an episode filmed in Downtown New Orleans. The episode follows local New Orleans musicians through Downtown and other neighborhoods, highlighting each musician's favorite restaurants, shops, and hangouts. Among the musicians featured in the New Orleans episode are Jeremy Davenport and Trombone Shorty.

Cochon Chef Stephen Stryjewski Wins James Beard Award as Best Chef: South

Cochon restaurant in the Warehouse District is a favorite of locals and visitors alike, and the James Beard Foundation has now named Chef Stephen Stryjewski the Best Chef: South. Two other New Orleans chefs were also nominated in the same category.

To read more, click here.

Here's a Little Bit More of What's Up Downtown This Month...

New Orleans Wine & Food Experience
What: World-renowned winemakers, celebrated chefs, and industry insiders come together for a showcase of signature food and wine events.
When: May 24-28
Where: New Orleans Superdome

DDD Board Meeting
What: Monthly meeting of the DDD Board of Commissioners; open to the public
When: June 7, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
Where: DDD Board Room, 201 St. Charles Avenue, Suite 3912, New Orleans, LA 70170
Click here for full schedule

YLC Wednesday at the Square
What: Free outdoor concert, featuring a performance by Tab Benoit + Navy Band New Orleans Full Steam Brass Band
When: Wednesday, May, 25, 5-7:30 p.m.
Where: Lafayette Square

City of New Orleans Recycling Drop-Off
What: The City of New Orleans Department of Sanitation encourages citizens to bring their recyclables to 2829 Elysian Fields Avenue. Items accepted includes newspapers, magazines, office paper, certain plastics, cardboard, tires, electronics and more. For a full list of acceptable items, call (504) 658-3800
When: Saturdays only, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Where: 2829 Elysian Fields Avenue

For more information on any of the articles featured in What's Up Downtown, or to submit an item for consideration,
contact Lauren Hotard at lhotard[at]neworleansdowntown.com.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations