HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
sure seems like there's been a huge uptick in articles about Boise as a travel destination in recent months. I wonder if the increase in downtown hotel accommodations has been part of the reason--with the chains pushing for more media attention to fill rooms? seems to be working.
Hey there newbie, welcome to the board!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
The Fowler Sunday morning Feb 18,2018, and view of proposed 9 story office / 11 story condo site on 5th and Broad Street:

Nice pics AB, the real Fowler looks like a rendering in that light!

Was looking at the old renderings. Glad they went with the dark brick over the red.... https://stackrockgroup.com/portfolio/the-roost/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I have posted a Winter photo thread over in the City Photo Forum.
You own it man. The thread is beautiful, diverse and entertaining, as usual. Boise is lucky to have you repping it through your spot on photography.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

https://idahobusinessreview.com/2018...hain-rite-aid/

Albertsons to buy drugstore chain Rite Aid

Quote:
Shareholders of Boise, Idaho-based Albertsons will own more than 70 percent of the combined company, which is expected to trade on the New York Stock Exchange. The companies say the deal should close in the second half of this year, but regulators and Rite Aid shareholders still have to approve it.

Rite Aid Chairman and CEO John Standley will lead the combined company as CEO, while Albertsons leader Bob Miller will serve as chairman. The companies say they will keep headquarters in both Boise and Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, where Rite Aid is based.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:54 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
Thanks Sawtooth. I was happy to see my old apartment building on Fort featured! I can't believe how quickly the Broad Street area is developing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaBoi View Post
I lived a few blocks from that apartment building 4 years ago. And agreed, thanks Sawtooth. Your eye for everything Boise is truly unique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlad View Post
You own it man. The thread is beautiful, diverse and entertaining, as usual. Boise is lucky to have you repping it through your spot on photography.
You're welcome and thanks for the comments!

Quote:
sure seems like there's been a huge uptick in articles about Boise as a travel destination in recent months. I wonder if the increase in downtown hotel accommodations has been part of the reason--with the chains pushing for more media attention to fill rooms? seems to be working.
Definitely having more hotel rooms in the city helps increase tourism and Boise has been discovered. Being located in a beautiful area of the Northwest with world class outdoor pursuits and scenery is a huge draw for people. Downtown, the river and greenbelt are unique even when compared to other cities with similar attributes.

Boise has reached a level of "coolness" that other cities, some who have even hosted Olympics, have not achieved yet.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:16 PM
All man. Half nuts.

FYI, drove down Federal Way yesterday, and there's some activity on the big empty lot by the post office. Looks like utility work.

I hope whatever gets built there takes full advantage of that million dollar view, and doesn't become another storage unit facility (like the one just build down the road) or an ugly cookie-cutter apartment complex (like the one previously proposed for that lot).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:24 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's a new article in Food & Wine about Boise's Basque culinary tradition.... with a photo of Boise that has to be about 30 years old.

http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/ba...ho-restaurants

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
here's a new article in Food & Wine about Boise's Basque culinary tradition.... with a photo of Boise that has to be about 30 years old.

Yeah that is pretty old... but at least the foothills have some decent lighting haha

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:48 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Here is another article about Boise's food scene which has been getting national attention recently.
Food & Wine posted a new article about Boise on Valentines Day.
But the photo they chose to use is what...20 years old?

Quote:

Ladies and Gents, we have a guess of 20 and 30 years. I'm going with 25 years. Any other bidders?

I couldn't resist

Sweet, a self pour tap room is on the way to 8th.
https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/se...nt?oid=9420975
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:41 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

California haters are lame.

The Funky Taco renovation at the corner of 8th and Bannock.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Ladies and Gents, we have a guess of 20 and 30 years. I'm going with 25 years. Any other bidders?

I couldn't resist

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:54 AM
not a cynic

Quote:
Well, The Grove Hotel was built in 96/97 so this pic is more than 22 years old. The US 20/26 sign seems to be there which means the Broadway/Chinden Connector was in place so that makes it after 91/92. Unless there was a similar sign like that before then. After a bunch of searching, that lone highest house to the left of the West One tower, I think I found it and property records say it was built in 93. 25 years seems spot on. And interestingly, that house would burn 3 years later in the 1996 8th Street Fire.

Source of the following hotlinked pic: http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/ba...ho-restaurants

Last edited by boisecynic; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:06 PM

I just read the entire article and noticed this bit of news (http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/ba...ho-restaurants )

Quote:
Dan sold both of the businesses to refocus on teaching, playing music and his kids, but he’s about to modernize the city’s Basque dining scene again this spring when he opens Txikiteo near trendy The Modern Hotel & Bar. The formerly run-down Guest Lodge is nationally acclaimed for its on point cocktails and updated Northwest cuisine by James Beard Award semifinalist chef Nate Whitley.

In conjunction with the Modern’s owner, hotelier Elizabeth Tullis, another Basque descendent of the boarding house tradition, the chic new tapas and wine bar will offer an array of Western European fare, about half of which will be Basque influenced, including some old Ansotegui family recipes like Epi’s chorizo.

Like the city itself, this upcoming steel, concrete and reclaimed wood-filled spot will cater to Boise’s consistently growing fashionable millennial crowd.

Dan and Tullis hope to open the doors in March before artists like Princess Nokia, Pussy Riot and Galactic descend on the city for Treefort Music Festival, so they can expand their annual Indie music show and Basque-style roast lamb party that’s earned the moniker “Burning Lamb.”
Quote:
https://themodernhotel.com/blog/how-...-say-txikiteo/

Txikiteo is a new eatery in downtown Boise – opening March 2018 – at the corner of Idaho & 14th streets

Txikiteo, in Basque, means the feeling of the pub crawl, of sharing wine and tapas with friends, and from there — who knows where the night might lead?
https://themodernhotel.com/content/u...py-460x175.jpg

Last edited by Cottonwood; Feb 28, 2018 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

good article. glad I found it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:53 PM

Wow those videos were god awful. Glad to see a very authentic looking/sounding Basque restaurant opening. Was just in Basque country in Spain a few weeks ago and was thinking Boise's Basque district could really use an authentic Tapas place like this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:07 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Well, The Grove Hotel was built in 96/97 so this pic is more than 22 years old. The US 20/26 sign seems to be there which means the Broadway/Chinden Connector was in place so that makes it after 91/92. Unless there was a similar sign like that before then. After a bunch of searching, that lone highest house to the left of the West One tower, I think I found it and property records say it was built in 93. 25 years seems spot on. And interestingly, that house would burn 3 years later in the 1996 8th Street Fire.
Ha, my estimated guess has been validated

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:18 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Ha, my estimated guess has been validated

I moved to Boise in 1995, and I knew that photo predated my arrival. another building that's not in that photo is the Tower Plaza condos/Chase Bank building, which was built in '94 and finished in '95.

either way, it's pretty lazy of F&W to use a photo so outdated. heck, even if they didn't know what downtown Boise looked like, all they have to do is look at the cars on the road--they're all antiques! THIS AIN'T CUBA, FOOD & WINE!!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:23 PM

https://twitter.com/Andersen_Const

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWrFdmUVQAANeSX.jpg

Quote:
New Project! The Afton Phase 2 broke ground this week in downtown Boise, ID. We completed Phase 1 (building on the right, in the rendering) last summer. Check back for project updates.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
look at the cars on the road--they're all antiques!
Beat me to it! That was one of the first things I noticed. Definitely late 80's/early 90's vehicles on the road.

Fun to look back and see how much has changed in Downtown Boise (heck, Boise in general) over the years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Love them or hate them, this area will look much better with the pair completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West