HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 7:19 PM

^ i wouldn't read much into it. It makes for dramatic news and and portrays the NDP as open to privatization without alienating a majority of their base.

There are lots of reasons to keep it public, in addition to yours above. Remember BC place seismic upgrades now allow the stadium to be used as an emergency earthquake shelter. The optics of this look worse the more you scrutinize this.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Can't even begin to describe how tragic it would be if the convention centre and BC Place were sold off. Not sure how the private sector could do a "better" job, except by cheapening out on maintenance to reduce costs thereby letting the facilities fall into disrepair over time
Yeah because the private sector isn't interested in delivering the best product possible for the lowest costs, right? Only government has that profit motive to think about....

Oh wait...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Yeah because the private sector isn't interested in delivering the best product possible for the lowest costs, right? Only government has that profit motive to think about....

Oh wait...
Generally, that's what the private sector does but not in every case. When it comes to the convention centre and the stadium, what could they possibly do differently for these facilities that are subsidized operationally?

And these facilities are subsidized because of the economic activity they provide, thus there's a greater benefit that isn't ignored. The private sector has no mandate to maintain these public assets for the greater good.

I simply don't trust the private sector with BC Place and VCC, especially after all the tax dollars invested. They might be bleeding red, for now, but they aren't exactly broken.

And if we include the value of the land plus the investments on building these facilities, and the taxes the private sector would have to pay, how could we possibly think the private sector could do a better job operationally? The folks at the Vancouver Convention Centre already do an amazing job.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:29 PM

Exactly.

Buildings that are public institutions aren't there solely to "make a buck" within their own enterprise (i.e renting the stadium or the convention centre) - they are they for "city-building" and have a broader role in the community.

Some of those roles may be money losing ventures (maybe like hosting the post-Sun Run gathering) - but add to the community and the local economy.

While the Provincial government may see increased tax revenues from such uses of the stadium and convention centre, a private operator would not.

The two types of operators have different interests.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Oh wait...
I believe convention centres and stadiums are rarely money makers and are often justified because of the economic spin-offs that they create (hotels, restaurants, shopping, catering, general tourism). The government might lose money on operating the venue but gain it in other tax revenue.

Good luck trying to sell off the money losing part of the equation without having to offer up major concessions to a buyer.

EDIT: Looks like officedweller beat me to the punch in offering up an explanation.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:24 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post

Just say NO to a secondary ease of access and a fire escape.
Have you asked yourself whether the former seaplane dock had more than one point of access?

Quote:

More generally, have you asked yourself what the normal standard of care is for large docks and marinas containing numerous fully fuelled vehicles?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...06196&t=h&z=18

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...h&deg=180&z=18

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:42 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Just say NO to a secondary ease of access and a fire escape.
The fire escape is jumping into Burrard Inlet

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 1:18 AM

Smile

Any updates on the old Harbour Air seawall site on Coal harbour that has been worked on?
This is in the 5th month which makes you wonder why it is taking so long to get it done when it is a fairly small area.

Makes you wonder how long it will take to extend the seawall from Kitt's to Jericho beach, at this rate the sun will go supernova before they get that done.

Larry Tate

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 1:43 AM
life in the present

I walk past the 'seawall connection project' everyday on the way from my home in Coal Harbour to my morning workout at Club16.

Honestly, I think they were able to build the entire Convention Centre in less time than it's taking to complete this link. I've never seen anything move more slowly, every day there's a crew of 5 - 6 guys and a bobcat and it seems they lay about 5 pavers a day. About two weeks ago they installed the railing along the link ( the part that juts out ) only to remove it the next day. I'll post some photos when I pass it in the next fews days.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 9:52 PM
blog this

Coming along slowly like connect2source says (from May 21):

The vans are from a landscaping company so maybe they are getting close to completion finally (the railing hasn't been installed yet though).

Photo by me.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 8:10 PM

Photo credit: me

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:39 AM
Reason and Freedom

Thanks.

What is the material being used in the outcrop? A metal grate? Glass?

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 7:44 AM

It seems like they made a possible and unnecessary choke and accident point at that filler piece... Hopefully cyclists will notice that the path suddenly narrows given the city's insistence of building on the cheap...

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:42 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
It seems like they made a possible and unnecessary choke and accident point at that filler piece... Hopefully cyclists will notice that the path suddenly narrows given the city's insistence of building on the cheap...
You are not seeing the photo correctly. The paved part is for pedestrians. The still unpaved portion (where the little dozer and steamroller are) will be the cycle path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Photo credit: me
If there is a choke point, then it will be on the pedestrian side of the concrete planter (i.e., the side closest to the water), as you can see in this photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:18 PM

Why did they narrow the pedestrian pathway by building the planter the way they did. The width isn't consistent, looks weird

Edit* I just noticed the planter on the convention side and maybe it was to line it up with that one

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

Well, thank you for calling me out for my error. You can tell I haven't been on the seawall for a little while... lol.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 7:16 PM
More Towers

Is there enough people down there even during the summer to have a chokepoint?

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:03 PM

I could see it being a choke point - like the one on the west side of David Lam Park (at the pump house) where the pedestrian path narrows or takes a jog to one side.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:04 PM
Dig-it

The second access ramp is going up with the secure entry doors in place. Also a new and modern utility shop.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 5:10 PM
blog this

re. seawall expansion project: The pedestrian lane has been open for a few days now, the bike lane is still u/c...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver