HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Some photos I took recently. I've taken so many pictures of Victoria lately I wasn't sure which ones to post.
Solution to your predicament: post everything!

And thank you in advance.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 10:46 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 11:32 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

That's awesome. I got some really good photos of it leaving too but this video is amazing.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:13 AM

Some recent pics by Marko J. at vibrantvictoria.ca:

1400 Quadra:

Yates on Yates

Hudson Place One:

Laneway behind the Hudson (back in the day if you were standing on this same spot you would have been looking straight into the bowels of the Bay department store parkade):

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:27 AM

Scaper, you posted almost the exact same pic of the laneway on the previous page. Now I'm thinking you and Marko J. are the same person.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:09 AM

Want a few more (as in dozens) Victoria photos? The GreatScaper and I have combined to create a mega never-ending Victoria photo thread over in Found City Photos, mainly our own photos, but sprinkling in some found ones as well. Check it out here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:20 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
Scaper, you posted almost the exact same pic of the laneway on the previous page. Now I'm thinking you and Marko J. are the same person.
He's my alter ego. That's funny. The photo's very similar.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:21 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Want a few more (as in dozens) Victoria photos? The GreatScaper and I have combined to create a mega never-ending Victoria photo thread over in Found City Photos, mainly our own photos, but sprinkling in some found ones as well. Check it out here.
Thanks Zoomer for starting that thread. Such a great idea to have a place to post photos where they won't get lost in posts like they do on this thread.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:11 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I'm so excited. I was driving towards town and was going to turn left on Hillside to go to Canadian Tire tonight when I saw a new tower crane in the skyline. I wondered it it was Townline's Hudson 2 development so I drove downtown and it was. I didn't know they were going to build their third tower on the old Bay parkade so soon. It's going to be Victoria's second tallest building at 23 stories. I took a couple of pictures of it. So cool.

Victoria's second tallest building by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria's second tallest building by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Last edited by The Great Scaper; Aug 27, 2020 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:57 PM

Except for the completed Hudson, which I would classify as rather decent after completion, all the recent taller buildings in Victoria are ugly to the max. I feel sad for the city.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 8:56 PM

Have you seen the current proposal for the lot beside View Towers? An interesting building was proposed for that same property more than a dozen years ago. It was sent back multiple times.

There's no wiggle room here, the current situation is 100% the fault of city admins and politicians. The wheels were falling off the "evil developers are ruining Victoria" narrative in the later 2000s, so it's as if the CoV took it upon itself to extend the old controversy by deliberating enforcing blandness with prominent new projects. The idea that they would have micro-managed every aspect of every development for so many decades and then been completely blindsided by the spandrel issue or the panel cladding issue is simply not believable. It's actually very absurd.

As I noted earlier, the design panel's advice for HP2 was more spandrel, not less. They actually called for more spandrel and less brick on one of the city's tallest new buildings. I'm not making this up.

See? We told you! Tall buildings are drab and cookie-cutter generic! (because we required them to be drab and cookie-cutter generic, even though the initial proposals were pretty sharp)

--

900-block View Street. Rejected proposal from 2008-09 on the left, current proposal from 2020-21 on the right. You know how that old proposal was criticized for being too tall and having too many units? This new proposal is taller and has considerably more units. And since the current proposal is also very generic and bland, it has a great chance of getting approved. Because why should the development process be sensible or consistent? The development process should be nutty and confusing and self-contradicting. Otherwise there would be no such thing as development controversies anymore, and then what would politicians do?

Last edited by aastra; Aug 27, 2020 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Because why should the development process be sensible or consistent? The development process should be nutty and confusing and self-contradicting.
The Northern Junk saga being the definitive example. Mind-blowing, unbelievable, ridiculous, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Have you seen the current proposal for the lot beside View Towers? An interesting building was proposed for that same property more than a dozen years ago. It was sent back multiple times.

There's no wiggle room here, the current situation is 100% the fault of city admins and politicians. The wheels were falling off the "evil developers are ruining Victoria" narrative in the later 2000s, so it's as if the CoV took it upon itself to extend the old controversy by deliberating enforcing blandness with prominent new projects. The idea that they would have micro-managed every aspect of every development for so many decades and then been completely blindsided by the spandrel issue or the panel cladding issue is simply not believable. It's actually very absurd.

As I noted earlier, the design panel's advice for HP2 was more spandrel, not less. They actually called for more spandrel and less brick on one of the city's tallest new buildings. I'm not making this up.

See? We told you! Tall buildings are drab and cookie-cutter generic! (because we required them to be drab and cookie-cutter generic, even though the initial proposals were pretty sharp)

--

900-block View Street. Rejected proposal from 2008-09 on the left, current proposal from 2020-21 on the right. You know how that old proposal was criticized for being too tall and having too many units? This new proposal is taller and has considerably more units. And since the current proposal is also very generic and bland, it has a great chance of getting approved. Because why should the development process be sensible or consistent? The development process should be nutty and confusing and self-contradicting. Otherwise there would be no such thing as development controversies anymore, and then what would politicians do?

Interesting. The proposal on the left looks much more generic to me. And quite dated.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:29 AM

The proposal from nearly 15 years ago does look a bit dated now, agreed. Although it looks considerably less dated than the proposal from last week.

Regardless of whether we like or don't like the older concept, it would have been -- and still would be -- unique in Victoria.

The current proposal wouldn't even be unique for the 900-block of View Street.

Edit: the following is excerpted from the letter to council from the architects for 937 View Street:

Quote:
...the building is proposed to be constructed using relatively light-weight modular off-site pre-fabrication methods. This will bring the units to market in approximately half the normal construction period while meeting the seismic and other structural requirements...

The architectural expression of the building takes advantage of the modular stacking of the pre-fabricated modules by rotating and shifting the units to create variation in the exterior wall and massing...

Durable and low maintenance cladding materials (composite aluminum panels, concrete masonry, refinished metal) are proposed for the exterior finishes...
I don't want to be too hard on this project. It is what it is. If View Towers didn't exist literally right beside it, I'd probably be rooting for it.

Last edited by aastra; Aug 28, 2020 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:42 AM

For those who aren't familiar with Victoria, these 180-degree shenanigans have been turned into a science. The Art Gallery condo tower concept was rejected because it was too tall and too dense... and so today there's a bland retirement residence on the same site that's just as tall and just as dense. Aria in south downtown had to comply with stiff height restrictions (it was originally proposed to be 50% taller than it is), and so today we're talking about relaxed height restrictions for the office development on the city's apex lot right next door.

I might end up being surprised, but I have a feeling the city will play this game yet again with the property on Pandora that they recently purchased.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 5:59 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

It's so disheartening Aastra. Does anyone write to council or the Mayor? I hope things change. I don't know what the answer is though.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if the cladding has the same unpainted grey concrete look that View Towers had for all of those decades before it was finally painted?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 2:11 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny if the cladding has the same unpainted grey concrete look that View Towers had for all of those decades before it was finally painted?
That would be terrible.

I took this photo a couple of nights ago when the sun was setting. Not the best picture but I thought I would post it anyways.

Sun setting over Victoria, B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:32 PM
BANNED

^Not the best picture?

Looks good to me

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 4:16 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
^Not the best picture?

Looks good to me
Thanks Phil, I appreciate that. I just uploaded all my recent Victoria photos to Zoomer's thread in the Found City Photos which now has 1000 views!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia