HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 6:35 PM
Chris

Some good news for PHL that is worth sharing. Hopefully American (and other airlines ) keep expanding.

American Airlines adds 3 new international routes at PHL for summer 2024
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...openhagen.html

Next summer will mark the first time travelers will be able to fly directly from PHL to Nice, France (NCE); Naples, Italy (NAP); and Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH), according to the airport. Each of the new routes will offer daily nonstop service.

PHL will be the only American Airlines (NASDAQ: AAL) hub with service to these three destinations, the airport said, likely increasing the number of international and domestic passengers making connections in Philadelphia.

"American has expressed its commitment to Philadelphia as its transatlantic hub and the addition of these new routes for summer 2024 is proof of that commitment," PHL CEO Atif Saeed said in a statement.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I didn't realize this site was still a dirt pit, thought it was actively under way.

Former Downey's Irish Pub property on South Street hits the market with asking price of $2M
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
Those responsible for this should be tried for murder.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Ugh. Another building demolished with nothing built in its place. This is especially crappy because the new building was designed by Canno and looked awesome. Jewelers Row, 3rd and Chestnut, Front and Chestnut all had awesome buildings demolished for nothing.

To be fair, 3rd & Chestnut was the result of a fire. The building was deemed unsafe afterwards and was ordered to be torn down.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 7:54 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
To be fair, 3rd & Chestnut was the result of a fire. The building was deemed unsafe afterwards and was ordered to be torn down.
*arson, big difference.

Such an awful situation though, hopefully that site is rebuilt one day.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 8:14 PM

The in limbo vacant lots are unfortunate but I’m not sure what can be done to prevent them. Other cities have them as well so it’s not a Philly thing. NYC has quite a few in several prominent locations.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Also the site falls within the Old City Historic District so whoever develops it will likely be required to reconstruct it to some degree. I believe they’re also required to incorporate the persevered original cast iron storefront into the facade.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 8:24 PM

These boneheads need to prove that they have the funding in the bank before they're allowed to demolish anything.

WTF?!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
These boneheads need to prove that they have the funding in the bank before they're allowed to demolish anything.

WTF?!
This!!! By all means, Philadelphia should be encouraging development where appropriate by upzoning parcels, but they should hold developers to a higher standard all around. Better materials, and cash in hand to develop before the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 10:11 PM
Chris

Looks Giant is officially out at Abbott's Square, a shame, would have been a great amenity for the area.
And I find it odd that Blumenfeld calls out Giant, when Giant has successfully opened 9! other stores in Philadelphia with a 10th on the way at Broad & Washington...

Giant nixes plans for Heirloom Market on South Street after filing lawsuit against landlord
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...eet-plans.html

The Giant Company says it is "unable to move forward" with plans to open a Giant Heirloom Market on South Street because of ongoing disagreements with its landlord...

Giant has been working with Stobba, PECO and the City of Philadelphia to get the "requisite minimum electric capacity" needed to operate a grocery store in the space and that is required in its lease with Stobba...

On July 13, Giant filed a complaint against Stobba in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania alleging "constructive eviction and breach of a commercial real property lease,"

Blumenfeld, in a statement provided to the Business Journal, blasted Giant for the failed store opening, calling it a waste of time and a "con job." He said Stobba made "many attempts" to accommodate Giant's "ever-changing needs" on the project.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 12:36 PM

Downey's was an interesting looking building, but am I correct in thinking it was built in the 1970s during a kind of Irish Pub revival?

Also, and this was always my impression, the building itself had a very severe rat problem for many years. As mentioned in one of the articles, the owner was blasted on Bar Rescue when the show filmed very unsanitary conditions.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 12:48 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Downey's was an interesting looking building, but am I correct in thinking it was built in the 1970s during a kind of Irish Pub revival?

Also, and this was always my impression, the building itself had a very severe rat problem for many years. As mentioned in one of the articles, the owner was blasted on Bar Rescue when the show filmed very unsanitary conditions.
It was a much-modified very old building as I recall from past discussions and research. See discussion from 1921 at P.I.C.H.: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...2413494380617/

Here’s a 1954 photo: https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...?assetId=92347
…and 1969: https://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoA...?assetId=83072

Paul Steinke pointed out the the boundary of the Society Hill Historic District ends just north of this property, next door to be exact.

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 18, 2023 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Some good news for PHL that is worth sharing. Hopefully American (and other airlines ) keep expanding.

American Airlines adds 3 new international routes at PHL for summer 2024
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...openhagen.html

Next summer will mark the first time travelers will be able to fly directly from PHL to Nice, France (NCE); Naples, Italy (NAP); and Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH), according to the airport. Each of the new routes will offer daily nonstop service.

PHL will be the only American Airlines (NASDAQ: AAL) hub with service to these three destinations, the airport said, likely increasing the number of international and domestic passengers making connections in Philadelphia.

"American has expressed its commitment to Philadelphia as its transatlantic hub and the addition of these new routes for summer 2024 is proof of that commitment," PHL CEO Atif Saeed said in a statement.
This is great news! With the dissolution of the Northeast Alliance, upcoming deliveries of Airbus A321XLRs and Boeing 787 Dreamliners, and greater operational flexibility than JFK and LGA, PHL should stand to benefit from additional international routes next summer.

I know the primary focus of the article is on next year's service, but I'm surprised that it didn't mention the fact that the New York to Doha flight on American was moved to Philadelphia recently.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is great news! With the dissolution of the Northeast Alliance, upcoming deliveries of Airbus A321XLRs and Boeing 787 Dreamliners, and greater operational flexibility than JFK and LGA, PHL should stand to benefit from additional international routes next summer.

I know the primary focus of the article is on next year's service, but I'm surprised that it didn't mention the fact that the New York to Doha flight on American was moved to Philadelphia recently.
We have family in Doha and they fly that flight every other month or so. It's soooo cool to have that service directly to Philly.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 2:47 PM

Seems to me that the Philly region--and especially as anchored by University City--is ready-made for this:

Two Philly-area groups vie for new federal regional tech hub designation

Quote:
Under the CHIPS and Science Act, the U.S. Commerce Department will award 20 or more winning regions $50 million to $75 million to create globally competitive industry clusters.

Two Philly-area groups focused on biotechnology and precision medicine want to win a new federal designation as regional tech and innovation hubs under a U.S. Department of Commerce program that aims to boost the country’s global competitiveness.

The feds plan to name at least 20 regions as tech hubs that will be eligible for $50 million to $75 million in funding to advance industries such as biotechnology, semiconductors, robotics, and artificial intelligence. The awards are supposed to go to regions capable of becoming global centers for R&D, workforce development, commercialization, and manufacturing in a decade.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 2:18 PM

Design Workshop begins next round of public engagement

https://www.phila.gov/2023-08-19-des...at-urban-park/

The long term plan looks great! Restoring Logan square and turning Eakins Oval into what it should have been from the beginning are incredible ideas. Lots of other good changes in there too. Hopefully it happens.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post

The long term plan looks great! Restoring Logan square and turning Eakins Oval into what it should have been from the beginning are incredible ideas. Lots of other good changes in there too. Hopefully it happens.
Agreed, I just hope they go out of study mode. How many rounds do we need before making any steps toward reality? It feels like people have been doing studies on the parkway for forever.

Specifically I remember "More Park, Less Way" from 2013. To be fair, I think maybe the programming on Eakins Oval came from that? This new plan does seem more ambitious, which is nice, but at this rate we might have a nicer Parkway by the mid 2030s. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Agreed, I just hope they go out of study mode. How many rounds do we need before making any steps toward reality? It feels like people have been doing studies on the parkway for forever.

Specifically I remember "More Park, Less Way" from 2013. To be fair, I think maybe the programming on Eakins Oval came from that? This new plan does seem more ambitious, which is nice, but at this rate we might have a nicer Parkway by the mid 2030s. Fingers crossed.
In one of the renderings it has two proposed towers behind the library and courthouse. Do we already know about that or is it old news I forgot about?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
We have family in Doha and they fly that flight every other month or so. It's soooo cool to have that service directly to Philly.
The new AA flight - which hasn’t started yet - is in addition to the long running Qatar Airways flight. Meaning, soon, we ll have 2 daily flights to Doha.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 4:58 PM
Creative Ambitions

by
Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

by
Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

by
Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post

I love the idea of getting rid of the circle and turning back into a Logan square.
I love more bike lanes, would be amazing to have a connection from Penn's landing to the Parkway. But going via spring garden is good enough for the short term.
The massive road diet is a welcome change and I hope they keep it. Also it would be awesome to leave space for a trolley in the future. Long term, I purpose a surface trolley that goes from City Hall around Love park to the art museum, go the spring garden bridge to the Philadelphia zoo and finally to Fairmount park ending at the mann center.

To get back on topic I do hope for a less cars in the park. More facilities to support visitors and museums. I'm hopeful the feedback will be about more park features and less cars infrastructure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development