HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 3:36 PM

Forks Facebook says they have revised website w more info. But you get Error when u go there and rest of site is same from what I can see. Weird

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Forks Facebook says they have revised website w more info. But you get Error when u go there and rest of site is same from what I can see. Weird
https://www.railsideattheforks.com

It looks like there are now links to subscribe to email updates about renting/buying residential units, or leasing the commercial units. However a lot of the website just has "coming soon" notices. It looks like there will be an interactive map where you can click on an individual building to get info on the units, but it's not active yet.

Website says construction begins in 2024 on 10 buildings and two courtyards:

I didn't see any mention of the timeline for the other components, like the big pedestrian promenade that is supposed to replace part of Israel Asper way, or the "boxcar alley" that is supposed to go along the rail tracks.

Last edited by Kris22; Nov 20, 2023 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
More of The Forks coming soon!
Posted on Mar 21, 2024 by The Forks Market

More of The Forks is coming soon!

Earlier today our CEO Sara Stasiuk had the privilege of speaking to over 400 folks at a Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce luncheon, and her primary message was that Railside at The Forks is closer than ever to becoming a reality.

Railside at The Forks has been in the public lore for many years now, and we’re very excited to be ready to break ground on the project later this year. This new development will transform two surface parking lots into a new mixed-used neighbourhood.

What does this really mean? It means more place to hang out together, more activities, more shopping, more food, more art, more culture, and more public spaces – more of The Forks! And for the first time ever, you will be able to live at The Forks.

The development will have full-time homes for about 2,000 people in an innovative, green, pedestrian-centric, high-density living space, that focusses on high-quality public spaces for all residents and everyone who visits.

Here are a few of the key takeaways from Sara’s exciting presentation:

1. Railside will be built for people

Railside will be a place for people to live, but it’s not being built exclusively for those people: it’s being built with input from the community for everyone to use and embrace.

The first phase of the project will see 10 buildings built, ranging from four to six stories each in height. Within these 10 buildings there will be 337 residential units of varying sizes and price points – all of which will be on the second floor or above. The ground floor of all 10 buildings will be publicly accessible spaces, business, and services. That means over 50,000 square feet of restaurants, retail outlets, and services.

Plus, two distinct public courtyards and an excellent showing of public art.

2. It takes community to build community

It’s been a mantra of The Forks for some time, but it truly does take community to build and foster community. This community extends to all of the over 4-million guests that visit The Forks each year, plus in the case of the Railside development, this extends to vendors, shareholders, board members, artists, current tenants, future tenants, and developer partners:
  1. Alston Properties with 1X1 Architecture
  2. BurrowTech and 2 Architecture
  3. GSD with ATLRG Architecture
  4. StreetSide Developments with Prairie Architects
  5. Vishin Developments and TradeMark Homes with ATLRG Architecture
  6. University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 with LM Architectural Group
  7. Plus, there is a potential for The Forks to be a building developer within the project, and we’re in the middle of an architect Request for Proposals process right now.

3. Our prized fire hydrants

Plenty of work has already taken place on the Railside site, but most of it is not visible above ground. This includes all of the underground services that were installed last fall, and the preparations for a district geothermal system.

The one small piece of work that has risen from the ground is our two prized fire hydrants. They stand proudly in strange looking positions in the surface parking lots, but are a symbol of the work to come, and the vibrant exciting development that is Railside. Next time you’re at The Forks feel free to take a walk past these hydrants and see if you can imagine the 10 buildings that will soon go up around them.
More of The Forks coming soon!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Mar 21, 2024 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:02 PM

^ Great to get an update! Excited to hear that construction will be starting soon.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:26 PM

the comment about the fire hydrants slayed me

would love to see the ribbon cutting for phase 1, a dozen fire hydrants in a parking lot

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:02 PM

I'm beyond excited for this and am considering living here as soon as there is availability.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:07 PM

Finest hydrants in the land

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:14 PM

It would be really nice to see some renderings of the actual buildings so we can see what kind of architecture we're dealing with here

I hope the developers put their best foot forward in terms of quality of design and finishings. These buildings are smack in the middle of our main tourist destination and across from the human rights museum. I don't want to see stucco, corrugated metal panels, or any other cheap looking finishes that are on 90% of the mid rises going up in the city. It would also be nice to see buildings with some dimension that aren't just rectangles with balconies sticking out. I have to say I'm a little nervous for the reveal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
It would be really nice to see some renderings of the actual buildings so we can see what kind of architecture we're dealing with here
If they're announcing the development teams publicly, one would assume that they must be close to releasing their renders

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:03 PM

Alston Properties with 1X1 Architecture
https://1x1architecture.ca/filter/Mi...ilside-Site-07 (ghastly at the forks imo)

-or-

https://1x1architecture.ca/filter/Mi...ilside-Site-04

BurrowTech and 2 Architecture
https://www.2architecture.ca/residential/building-x (references the forks so I think this is it)

GSD with ATLRG Architecture
Couldn't find anything

StreetSide Developments with Prairie Architects
https://www.prairiearchitects.ca/for...g-condominiums (Definitely the best of the worst here)

Vishin Developments and TradeMark Homes with ATLRG Architecture
Couldn't find anything.

University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 with LM Architectural Group
Couldn't find anything.

All I have to say if that's the best these bloody architects could come up with, woof. Architects here, you gotta make your colleagues apologize for the crimes against our eyes at a national historic site. Why are these people allergic to anything non post-modern and why are they allergic to colour?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:35 PM

Really? Are those the updated renders? So we aren't getting what we were initially told, as in what was just posted by Wpg_Guy a few posts above?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Alston Properties with 1X1 Architecture
https://1x1architecture.ca/filter/Mi...ilside-Site-07 (ghastly at the forks imo)

-or-

https://1x1architecture.ca/filter/Mi...ilside-Site-04

BurrowTech and 2 Architecture
https://www.2architecture.ca/residential/building-x (references the forks so I think this is it)

Couldn't find anything

StreetSide Developments with Prairie Architects
https://www.prairiearchitects.ca/for...g-condominiums (Definitely the best of the worst here)

Vishin Developments and TradeMark Homes with ATLRG Architecture
Couldn't find anything.

University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 with LM Architectural Group
Couldn't find anything.

All I have to say if that's the best these bloody architects could come up with, woof. Architects here, you gotta make your colleagues apologize for the crimes against our eyes at a national historic site. Why are these people allergic to anything non post-modern and why are they allergic to colour?
The trademark building is the middle building in this photo

All the recent rendering produced by The Forks are the actual building designs.

Forks rendering

architectural rendering

architectural rendering

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:04 AM

2 Architecture Inc.

Forks rendering

Architectural rendering

Architectural rendering

Architectural rendering

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:14 AM

Prairie Architects/Streetside Development

Forks Rendering

Architectural rendering

Architectural rendering

Architectural rendering

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:29 AM

Forks rendering

Forks rendering

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 1:52 AM

What will be the surface parking situation in this enclave? Have any of the developers proposed any with their buildings?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:00 AM

Am I way out to left field here when I say the quality of the architecture here is disappointing at best? No colour, no style, it's very drab imo.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Am I way out to left field here when I say the quality of the architecture here is disappointing at best? No colour, no style, it's very drab imo.
Ya I can't say I'm blown away by any of these proposals either, but there are some interesting parts here and there. I think the drabness is because all the buildings are proposed as tones of greys and white. It would've been cool to see something like the triangular building that was proposed in the exchange and covered in bronze metal.

I think this will be a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the pieces. Once all these buildings are in close proximity to each other, with the pedestrian lanes, squares, trees, lights, etc, it's gonna be pretty cool.

But I have to say I hate this one with a passion. It's exactly what I did not want to see there:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:32 AM

^ It looks like a tv that’s lost its signal. Static chaos.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:37 AM

Lots armchair architects here complaining. I like the fact that they all look different, they aren't all one big row of the same same same like many other developments.

My worry is all those CRU being empty. There's building spread all around the city with empty spaces, its not easy being a Mom Pop shop

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan