HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Midtown is very fortunate to add this tower to the skyline.
Indeed it is, especially considering the towers already rising and soon to rise. We went so many years without seeing even one tower of supertall status rise, and now it seems they're taken for granted. It's a pretty impressive tower though, regardless of the design - which could be better or worse. And it's still relatively unknown to most around town.

Sunday morning....(September 30, 2012)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:00 PM

I wish Rafael Vinoly could of thought of a more attractive design than this one. It bothers me more because it will be the tallest in New York by roof height and New York deserves to have better than this, also it makes me think they should have made 1WTC as tall as this building or taller. Perhaps Rafael Vinoly is getting his ownback for not having his THINK design selected as winner instead of Daniel Libeskind's design.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:23 PM

Personally I feel this is one of the most sophisticated buildings being built right now. I have a feeling when it starts taking shape and we see the finishes that are used and that the design is not some silly "look at me" tower we will all be satisfied with it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:12 PM
Come As You Are

The only thing I find wrong with this building is the cladding. The thin box shape is futuristic and modern.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The only thing I find wrong with this building is the cladding. The thin box shape is futuristic and modern.
What is it clad in? Have you seen samples? All I have seen are the renderings so far.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:38 PM

I'm betting there's a lot of people out there that look at this and think, "there's just something I don't like about this, but I don't know what it is. I don't think it's the cladding (which no one has really seen yet anyway) that bothers me. It's that flat roof. This building, from what I understand, will be a magnificent engineering feat. It's sooooo damn tall... but then it just ends. It just comes to a dead stop. This building needs a "TA-DA!"

If it had a nicely tapering, short pyramid like structural element on top, tipped off by a medium length spire... (think Chrysler Bldg, but not an exact copy) I think that would give it the element that would make it as grand as it could be. Just my humble opinion. YMMV.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

I think this tower will be completely kick ass personally.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:10 PM
Come As You Are

A tapered roof would make it postmodernist and 90s looking. (Blech!)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:32 PM

So here's a stupid question: Why is the crane not squared up to the rest of the building? Am I not seeing it right, or is the whole thing rotated a few degrees?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:46 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ As the few comments above me, it's not that the building is bad IT JUST DOESN'T BELONG HERE. This building will be the first building to officially be taller than the ESB in Midtown (forget the WTC in DT). The ESB has been the tallest building in Midtown since 1931, I'll repeat 1931. 81 YEARS King of NYC. This will top the ESB. So we needed an awesome design here, and got MEDIOCRE! That's the "ONE THING" that you people aren't liking about this building, and you're NOT alone I hate this building (only because of the implications involved, as stated above).

Last edited by THE BIG APPLE; Dec 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:25 PM

I am personally super excited about this building. Sure it's not the most jaw dropping design, but again if every building in the city was, we wouldn't appreciate the architectuture of those which stand out as much as we do now. I think this tower will have an amazing impact on the skyline, and that's good enough for me; this is what New York needs!! I'm sure future building will compensate for the blandness of this building. Think 225 west 57th, 56 leonard and hopefully Tower Verre.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:32 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
IT JUST DOESN'T BELONG HERE.
Sure it does - to fill a very specific and exclusive demand for luxury living that the city is very fortunate to have.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:35 PM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

That's kind of what I like about it, though. The city is finally getting an extremely tall building that's not even going to be a famous landmark at all. It's just some really tall, skinny, unassuming residential box. When someone asks "What building is that?" they'll be answered "Dunno, just another NY skyscraper." That makes the building more impressive in a way.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:06 AM
lite

I think these diagrams shown originally by NYguy give the building a potential saving grace. Notice how the windows are treated as punched out blocks from the openings? I'm not quite sure how to describe it in architectural terms, but it has been seen a few times before and really looks good in built form. There are a couple buildings I'm thinking of right in that area.......anyone know them? I'm drawing a blank as to their names.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:27 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Personally I feel this is one of the most sophisticated buildings being built right now.
Yes indeed. This is my fav project (currently) under construction right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I think this tower will be completely kick ass personally.
Not only that, but I just love its location along the 57th street corridor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaizer007 View Post
I am personally super excited about this building. Sure it's not the most jaw dropping design, but again if every building in the city was, we wouldn't appreciate the architectuture of those which stand out as much as we do now. I think this tower will have an amazing impact on the skyline, and that's good enough for me; this is what New York needs!!
Not only that, but think about all of the skyline views we will get!
Now the price of admission to the ESB, Top of the Rock and 1 WTC will be worth it, not to mention views from the surrounding areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
That's kind of what I like about it, though. The city is finally getting an extremely tall building that's not even going to be a famous landmark at all. It's just some really tall, skinny, unassuming residential box. When someone asks "What building is that?" they'll be answered "Dunno, just another NY skyscraper." That makes the building more impressive in a way.
Not every skyscraper needs to be a landmark.
We need diversity to attract developers to design more iconic looking towers at incredible heights to compliment the nearby towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Notice how the windows are treated as punched out blocks from the openings?
I never noticed that before!
We have enough glass towers, this is exactly what we need to enhance the skyline!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
lite

Anyone who is concerned about the "stewardship" of this building's design should check out;
http://www.rvapc.com/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:48 AM
JACKinBeantown

Yes, the design of that website is just as annoying as the design of this building.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 1:06 AM
lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Yes, the design of that website is just as annoying as the design of this building.
lol, I do get that. Perhaps Rafael should have a better website. My point is he is an excellent architect concerned with the details.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:18 AM
lite

Not very clear in this rendering, but this is a current Rafael Vinoly project in Stanford, CT using the idea of "pushed out windows"- called daylight filled cubes. Here it is a modular type construction allowing for rooms to have no window frames- just an expanse of glass.

http://inhabitat.com/rafael-vinolys-...-filled-cubes/

We also shouldn't forget he was the architect behind the Allen Room @ Jazz at Lincoln Center.

http://thebeautifullifeworld.com

Last edited by The Jerk; Oct 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:49 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Sure it does - to fill a very specific and exclusive demand for luxury living that the city is very fortunate to have.
With a better design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive