HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 2:44 AM

i think HG3 is fine as is - parking in that area costs an arm and a leg i think $2 gets you 10 minutes

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 3:28 PM
blog this

Seawall integration project update (March 27):

photo by me

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 5:08 PM

Are they still building that restaurant in that space? Because with Cactus Club just having opened up next door, I don't know if it could survive...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 7:01 PM
ARTchitecture

That is an excellent photo! Thank you

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 8:34 PM

Pic by me from Saturday night:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, there's a De Dutch down there:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:35 AM

is de dutch ever open? does it only open for breakfast and lunch? i have been down in the evenings a few times and it was always closed

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:49 AM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
is de dutch ever open? does it only open for breakfast and lunch? i have been down in the evenings a few times and it was always closed
Yup.. everyday 7-4.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeats View Post
Are they still building that restaurant in that space? Because with Cactus Club just having opened up next door, I don't know if it could survive...
If that is the location of the 2nd Tap and Barrel, I wouldn't worry about it. Even though they seem the same, they cater to 2 pretty different audiences.

If you are looking for a meal that is "inspired" by an amazing award winning chef and prepared by some cook who is "training" to be a red seal chef, then Cactus Club would win. If you are looking for a place to spend a night out and have drinks with friends, then there aren't many places that better the beer and wine selection available at the Tap & Barrel, and the food is still pretty good and definitely more fun.

Both should be pretty busy, if not both at capacity on weekends. It's up in the air though if it's people being turned away from a full Cactus Club going to the T&B or viceversa.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:32 PM

I think CBeats was refrerring to the empty lot (so to speak) to the west of Cactus Club near the seawall construuction.

Tap & Barrel will be above the Club 16 Bike rental (east side of the plaza at the top of the stairs in the De Dutch pic above).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 3:00 AM

Photo credit: me

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 7:12 AM
Reason and Freedom

Thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Photo credit: me
This photo is disappointing. Aside from the fact that Harbour Air's extra dock looks like a junk yard, the presence of that shack and what appears to be extra ramps is troubling. Does this mean that Harbour Air (in addition to getting its own dock instead of using the original new dock like everyone else) is now getting its own extra access ramp and its own little terminal (i.e., the crappy shack)? If this is the case, then Harbour Air is definitely ruining the clean, unified design of the new seaplane complex and its formal integration with the Vancouver Convention Centre and seawall

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 7:16 PM

The ramp could just be stored there temporarily.

The "landing" on the seawall that could be for the ramp probably isn't - it has a cut-out at its edge - so I doubt that it would be strong enough to support the ramp.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 8:00 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Aside from the fact that Harbour Air's extra dock looks like a junk yard, the presence of that shack and what appears to be extra ramps is troubling. Does this mean that Harbour Air (in addition to getting its own dock instead of using the original new dock like everyone else) is now getting its own extra access ramp and its own little terminal (i.e., the crappy shack)?
Just say NO to a secondary ease of access and a fire escape.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Just say NO to a secondary ease of access and a fire escape.
The ocean is a pretty decent fire escape.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 11:08 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The ocean is a pretty decent fire escape.
Good advice to the kids and wheelchair bound there Jebby.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic by me from Saturday night:

The komagata maru memorial can be seen in this pic, it's the red/brown display wall by the blue fence.

------

In retrospect, i'm surprised at the intransigence of harbour air's hesitancy to move to the new facility. Wasn't a major complaint that the moorage there wasn't safe? It's been only a few months, but we had a lot of gusty days recently, yet, not problems AFAIK...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:38 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
In retrospect, i'm surprised at the intransigence of harbour air's hesitancy to move to the new facility. Wasn't a major complaint that the moorage there wasn't safe? It's been only a few months, but we had a lot of gusty days recently, yet, not problems AFAIK...
Sharp observation mezzanine.
Your right, they will probably never move to the new terminal and continue having their clients swim up to the dock for boarding now that the old access is gone.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:39 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
The komagata maru memorial can be seen in this pic, it's the red/brown display wall by the blue fence.

------

Well they built their own new moorage to their standards. Though I'm sure cheap rent let them buy more insurance for their planes

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Well they built their own new moorage to their standards. Though I'm sure cheap rent let them buy more insurance for their planes
That's the thing - it looks like Harbour air was/is shaking down PavCo for more money and consideration.

Can anyone tell me what is different spec about harbour air's moorage vesus other areas? aside from extra space for storing junk?

Credit: Jimbo 604

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 7:12 PM

So...if elected, the BC NDP will quickly initiate an "independent" review on selling BC Place and the convention centre.

Can't even begin to describe how tragic it would be if the convention centre and BC Place were sold off. Not sure how the private sector could do a "better" job, except by cheapening out on maintenance to reduce costs thereby letting the facilities fall into disrepair over time just like the Plaza of Nations. Or into condos lol.

I don't think it's likely though, this has to be Dix NDP stunt to appease all those folks who don't see the benefit of these facilities. And conveniently on their platform unveiling day too. Not to mention that the NDP isn't the type of party to be willing to sell public assets.

I don't think it's likely, but the very thought of this being thrown out there as an idea is highly concerning. Thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver