HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 8:41 PM

Related Midwest drone video of mat pour

Related Midwest posted a drone video of the mat pour on LinkedIn. I tried to see if they posted it to a less shitty video host like Youtube or even Twitter, but didn't see anything.

Here's some facts on the pour from the post:

Quote:
Yesterday, 250 concrete trucks delivered 9 million pounds of foundation to form the foundation for Phase One of 400 Lake Shore, Related Midwest's 72-story residential tower that will reshape the city's skyline where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan. Led by LR Contracting Company and BOWA Construction teams, the concrete pour for the mat foundation of the building averaged a delivery every 2 minutes for 12 hours straight with 470,000 gallons of concrete, the equivalent to a 9-mile long sidewalk.
Here's a few screengrabs:

Last edited by pullmanman; Mar 2, 2024 at 8:45 PM. Reason: added info from post

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:13 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
Additionally long term the riverwalk on the north side of the river hopefully becomes more developed like the southern side with restaurants and bars. In that case a lot of tourists from Michigan Avenue could end up walking there and back as they do now on the southern riverwalk. It's important to keep that option open for years/decades down the line.
This^

Luckily it will never get developed with a tower so this is a moot discussion, but I wouldn’t be so sure that this will go unused because it’s “out of the way”. I can see this being the main pedestrian connection between Michigan Ave and Navy Pier. Right now nobody uses the north riverwalk because it goes nowhere, but once it’s connected to Dusable Park, the riverwalk and, in turn, Navy Pier… I can guarantee it will be a lot more lively. Wait another decade and I bet the last few empty lots will be developed and that whole are will feel more vibrant and interconnected. It’s already better than it was 20 years ago and it’s just gonna keep getting better.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:40 PM
TL;DR

I think the problem is all these disconnected bits of riverwalk have been around for so long that people don't see them as a viable route to the lakefront. People are more likely to just walk along Illinois to get to Navy Pier from Michigan. And Illinois is a pretty nice streetscape nowadays, it's not grim industrial like it was 40 years ago - Bennett Park helps a lot.

I don't see much hope of getting restaurants/bars on the north riverwalk. Lizzie McNeill's is already there, and the Sheraton has a generic hotel restaurant that keeps changing names. The Equitable Building has a space that could be a restaurant, but it has very little room for outdoor dining, it's a pinch point on the Riverwalk. I guess the city could build some kiosks and such for snacks, but there's not enough room for full restaurant patios or beer gardens.

It's not technically on the Riverwalk, it's on Ogden Slip, but Robert's Pizza is very good if you want waterfront dining in that area...

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 3, 2024 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:22 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=pullmanman;10156441]Related Midwest posted a drone video of the mat pour on LinkedIn. I tried to see if they posted it to a less shitty video host like Youtube or even Twitter, but didn't see anything.

Here's some facts on the pour from the post:

250 concrete trucks is a massive pour.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 5:31 PM

Illinois has definitely improved but walking under Lakeshore and next to Lakepoint Tower is a bit unpleasant. But of course tourists don't know in advance anyway. I forgot that they will be able to connect to the flyover path to Navy Pier and so this at least completes the path.

To really activate the north side of the Riverwalk there would need to be a renovation and expansion like there was on the south side. It's too thin now - they would need to ad 15+ feet or so which I think is possible. Some tour boats do launch from the north side I believe east of Michigan as well and so it could make sense to have more commercial space there.

I really wish the Apple Store was not there and it was just a railing with a river view with stairs like the 'River Theater' section of the south riverwalk. It would make a kind of signature photo spot for the city. Pioneer Court would seem more like a European style plaza. I don't really remember what it was like before the Apple Store - they must have improved it. Does Apple have any kind of limited long term lease there? Who owns that real estate? Is it the city?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 6:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think the problem is all these disconnected bits of riverwalk have been around for so long that people don't see them as a viable route to the lakefront. People are more likely to just walk along Illinois to get to Navy Pier from Michigan. And Illinois is a pretty nice streetscape nowadays, it's not grim industrial like it was 40 years ago - Bennett Park helps a lot.

I don't see much hope of getting restaurants/bars on the north riverwalk. Lizzie McNeill's is already there, and the Sheraton has a generic hotel restaurant that keeps changing names. The Equitable Building has a space that could be a restaurant, but it has very little room for outdoor dining, it's a pinch point on the Riverwalk. I guess the city could build some kiosks and such for snacks, but there's not enough room for full restaurant patios or beer gardens.

It's not technically on the Riverwalk, it's on Ogden Slip, but Robert's Pizza is very good if you want waterfront dining in that area...
Shh, don't tell people about it! It's hard enough to get a seat there sometimes :-p.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:02 AM
Chicago

February 29, 2024

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:03 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Related is picking up where Shelbourne left off, which means they will start building the underground garage using the top-down method. There is a slurry wall around the garage perimeter, and 96 belled caissons inside the footprint with buried steel columns that will support the garage floors.

All of this is waiting under the ground, ready to be dug up and put to use.

I assume the wood pile removal is to prep the site so they can start digging down the garage.
September 21, 2007

January 9, 2008

August 1, 2008

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:08 AM
Chicago

Quote:
I really wish the Apple Store was not there and it was just a railing with a river view with stairs like the 'River Theater' section of the south riverwalk. It would make a kind of signature photo spot for the city. Pioneer Court would seem more like a European style plaza. I don't really remember what it was like before the Apple Store - they must have improved it. Does Apple have any kind of limited long term lease there? Who owns that real estate? Is it the city?
June 30, 2008

^ My picture

History of the Michigan Avenue Apple Store
https://youtu.be/QSHAgKb3fSM?si=V8eGLxjizsZmXa7O&t=54

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:03 PM

Really hoping that leasing explodes for this tower and they revamp designs for #2. The pain of what this development could have been is a little more acute once more now that Oklahoma City has a 1,900 footer proposed lol.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:26 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguy View Post
Really hoping that leasing explodes for this tower and they revamp designs for #2. The pain of what this development could have been is a little more acute once more now that Oklahoma City has a 1,900 footer proposed lol.
I say this with all due respect, and as a former Okie, IMHO, I just don't see a 1,900 ft tower being built in OK. There's just no market for it, vs the engineering costs of going that high. I know this isn't the place for this convo but just wanted to throw my unsolicited opinion out there. It's possible the design of the second tower changes depending on how much time goes in between, a la NEMA 1 & 2. I can't really think of a dual tower rendering that has come to fruition as depicted in the rendering, except maybe Taipei 101, or the old WTC. I'd love to know the track record of dual towers being built or if they usually change design/format depending on the time of securing a construction loan, market conditions and styles du jour.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguy View Post
Tribune Tower East looks like a more realistic (and better looking) proposal than the one in OKC. I'm all for more cities building taller towers. It's just that proposal seems suspect.

I would prefer they build the 2nd tower at 400 N DLSD as planned since they share a design. If the materials look as good in reality as the renders, this could be a spectacular addition to the lakefront and skyline. Since moving to NYC, one thing I've come to appreciate is how many of the tallest towers in Manhattan and even Brooklyn are set back from the water. It gives the skyline a sense of depth. I like the idea of Chicago's tallest towers being behind the lakeshore by at least a few blocks.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Guys, please keep discussion about that goofy OKC proposal in its appropriate thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=257177

All subsequent posts about it in this thread will be deleted.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 8:25 PM

Seeing the scale of this mat pour, it still baffles my mind why Related wouldn't go taller with this design; since this foundation seems to be over-engineered for a sub-900' building. I understand that the foundation is a sunk cost to them, but isn't that the main cost prohibiter of entering the supertall range of height?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:18 AM

Nice thanks Solar! That skinny path at the bottom wasn't exactly working.

I'd really prefer if the space returned to something more like this instead of the Apple Store - though the store is quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
June 30, 2008

^ My picture

History of the Michigan Avenue Apple Store
https://youtu.be/QSHAgKb3fSM?si=V8eGLxjizsZmXa7O&t=54

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:43 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

I know ideally it wouldn’t be this way, but you can walk around the Apple Store on the upper level to get to a reasonable sized part of the riverwalk. With some signage, vendors and, more importantly, the new direct connection to Navy Pier, I believe the North riverwalk will start getting traffic even without expansion. I’ll certainly finally use it when I have the chance. I don’t think I’ve ever had a reason before. Seems like it will be the ideal way to admire this new tower and access the new park since the lakefront trail is often a shit show.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:04 PM

Corrugated caisson liners along with boring bits are being delivered.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:30 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Illinois has definitely improved but walking under Lakeshore and next to Lakepoint Tower is a bit unpleasant. But of course tourists don't know in advance anyway. I forgot that they will be able to connect to the flyover path to Navy Pier and so this at least completes the path.

To really activate the north side of the Riverwalk there would need to be a renovation and expansion like there was on the south side. It's too thin now - they would need to ad 15+ feet or so which I think is possible. Some tour boats do launch from the north side I believe east of Michigan as well and so it could make sense to have more commercial space there.

The south riverwalk is the city's whereas the north is largely private with public access. I expect property owners need to see a benefit to justify doing anything differently, and it would be suited to the property - e.g., a restaurant in a hotel makes sense, but you are less likely to see commercial space next to townhomes.

As far as the city is concerned, it may be happy to have people use the south path to keep it successful and generating revenue through the vendors.

Last edited by VKChaz; Mar 8, 2024 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
The south riverwalk is the city's whereas the north is largely private with public access. I expect property owners need to see a benefit to justify doing anything differently, and it would be suited to the property - e.g., a restaurant in a hotel makes sense, but you are less likely to see commercial space next to townhomes.

As far as the city is concerned, it may be happy to have people use the south path to keep it successful and generating revenue through the vendors.
DuSable Park will give pedestrians on the north walk a new destination, and the planned link to the Navy Pier flyover should help too, as mentioned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction