HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 1:20 PM

Downtown Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 2:38 AM

Downtown Updates

Quote:

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 11:16 AM

Downtown Updates

Quote:

So, which do you prefer?: I don't really know what they're doing here.. I suppose they thought it looked
too monochromatic, so they added the brown panels. I myself think it's a crime to cover brick with plain, brown
metal. I hope they remove it.

a while before:

DSC_0901 by John Martin K, on Flickr
Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
So, which do you prefer?: I don't really know what they're doing here.. I suppose
they thought it looked too monochromatic, so they added the brown panels. I myself think it's a crime to cover brick
with plain, brown metal. I hope they remove it.

Pic By John Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Yup, keep the mass produced metal off the artisan hand laid brick! It cheapens
things. Fantastic update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I prefer it with the metal panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Love the pix! I like the metal, I think it helps break up the monotony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemery View Post
I really don't like the metal. If they want to break things up, I would prefer that they
just have some nice masonry that matched the rest of the building. It seems out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
As for the metal, I'm not sure if I like it or not. It definitely adds variety which i think
was a little lacking, and maybe it's just strange to look at since we're so used to the monochromatic brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
This is an excellent project for any city to have, though I am a little disappointed with
the re-occuring facade design as shown in John Martin's photo above. I know I indicated on a previous post my
great pleasure with a mix of facade designs this project has to offer and appears to still incorporate a variety of
deisgn mix. Unfortunately this particular area could have done better. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm thinking Shak that we have to place ourselves in what will be the comparitively
compact, intimate street level spaces of CCC itself. In that particular pic we're seeing a view of these facades that
will not be pedestrian in it's perspective. When it's all finished (at street level) with it's many awnings, trees, period
lighting, open bridges, amazing water features, seating, etc. the whole conglomorate will be quite a feast, and
anything but boring. Infact, I would imagine that the designers are having to work hard at trying to hold back from
everything becoming too busy (through the inner blocks) from a street level, pedestrian perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierforlife17 View Post
I know we all have our little things we don't like about this project, but in all honesty
what this project is doing for Salt Lake City would have taken 20 years or longer if all things were independent of each
other. We are so lucky to have this development as an accelerator for the restoration and reinvigoration of
Salt Lake City.

Last edited by delts145; May 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:20 PM
Paramoderator

I think you should stop deleting responses and reposting them as quotes. It really kills any chance this thread has for a discussion.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I think you should stop deleting responses and reposting them as quotes. It really kills any chance this thread has for a discussion.
As a newcomer to this page, I like this, because it feels kinda like keeping a rundown. I browse architecture forums a lot but when I jump in sometimes I actually worry a lot that everybody has been saying something other than what I though I was reading. Anyways, how goes this building in SLC these days? What are they planning to do with it once it goes up?

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 6:28 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Dude, one person keeps this page up and that is delts. All the dialogs he quotes come from the Mountain West section of this forum (no conversations between those who live in SLC take place in this thread). This is the outsider's thread.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry Illithid Dude, I had assumed that everyone understood that those quotes were simply taken from the regional discussion thread, where the actual conversations take place. Though I have explained it on numerous occasions, this thread is simply a rundown (mostly pics) of Salt Lake City's current projects.
Occasionally people comment, and that's great. . Please feel free to go to the Mountain West Thread for a friendly discussion.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 11:59 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Sorry Illithid Dude, I had assumed that everyone understood that those quotes were simply taken from the regional discussion thread, where the actual conversations take place. Though I have explained it on numerous occasions, this thread is simply a rundown (mostly pics) of Salt Lake City's current projects.
Occasionally people comment, and that's great. . Please feel free to go to the Mountain West Thread for a friendly discussion.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I will go check that thread out then.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:10 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I had no idea. I'll go check that thread out (:

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 2:06 PM

Quote:
I had no idea. I'll go check that thread out (:
Delts isn't deleting any responses - he's not a moderator and doesn't have that power. Come check out the Salt Lake threads in the Mountain West forum to see where the conversation is coming from. There's not really any problem with conversation here either if you'd like, but the locals typically stick to those forums.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 8:14 PM

...Downtown Updates Continued

Quote:

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 12:07 PM

Downtown Updates

Quote:

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 1:08 PM

...Downtown Updates

Quote:

Pics By John Martin

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 1:12 PM

The size of those mountain boulders is amazing. I think I'm going to be as excited about seeing this giant water feature extension of City Creek running throughout the Project Blocks, as I am about the layout and buildings themselves.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 12:14 PM

Salt Lake City unveils design for new Public Safety Building

...It will be "net zero," meaning it produces as much energy as it consumes, complete with 30,000 square feet of solar panels, rooftop plants, radiant heating and lights that shut off when natural light is sufficient. A public, tree-filled plaza with free Wi-Fi, also will include solar-powered charging stations for cell phones, iPads and more gadgets..."Quote: The Salt Lake Tribune"

By Pat Reavy
The Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Calling it a "momentous" event and "milestone moment," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and other city leaders unveiled the design of the new Public Safety Building Friday.

Renderings of the future Public Safety Building in Salt Lake City. The building will be net zero, producing as much energy as it uses. (, Salt Lake City)

"This building is really going to establish a new standard for public buildings in the state of Utah," Becker told a small crowd gathered at the Salt Lake City-County Building for the announcement.

The new building, which will house both the Salt Lake City Police and Fire departments as well as the Emergency Operations Center, will be built across from the Salt Lake City Library on 300 East. The design compliments the architecture of the library and includes many windows for natural light.

Deseret News

Not only will the new Public Safety Building be the "most earthquake-proof building in the state," according to one official, but it will be one of the greenest buildings in Utah, using 30,000 feet of solar panels among other energy-saving measures.

"It's the first net-zero public safety building in the country," Becker said, meaning it will generate as much energy as it uses.

The idea was to not make the new building look like a "fortress," but rather more open and inviting to the public.

However, Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank said it would also be secure and highly functional for law enforcement purposes.

Deseret News

Earlier Friday, Burbank said he attended the funeral of a retired Salt Lake City Police officer who was the first K-9 officer in the city. Introducing the K-9 program changed how law enforcers policed the city, he said.

"The (new) building is no less significant than that program was some 35 years ago," he said.

In 2009, Salt Lake voters approved a $125 million bond for construction of the new building. Friday, officials said the project was on budget, costing about $77 million for the building itself and just under $120 million to make it functional inside.

A groundbreaking is scheduled for June 1 and completion in May 2013.

Last edited by delts145; May 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 12:28 PM

... Additional Downtown Updates

Quote:

Pics By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; May 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 10:09 PM

Renderings unveiled for the Public Safety HQ

Renderings for the New Public Safety Complex:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...brary.html.csp

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 1:43 PM

... Downtown Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Coming along nicely:

Pics By S.P.Hansen

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromeister View Post
Okay TonyAnderson, you're correct so let me be more specific. SLC is a nice smaller city
but absolutely pales in comparison to what's happening in other cities (i.e., San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Dallas,
Chicago, etc.). Why so much space devoted to SLC? I know, I know, if you don't like it then just don't read it (which
is what I'll do). But, since you asked for specifics, the Public Safety Building is a great example of architects running
out of control. They try to design structures that are pieces of art rather than practical spaces. I look at the strange
angles and angular glass walls and, from my perspective, see wasted space and lots of added dollars paid for by, you
guessed it, the taxpayers. Good luck keeping that glass clean and sealed. Hey, I'm not saying we should all live in
boxes but I am suggesting that we create architecture that is both appealing and practical. My opinion only but the
Public Safety Building misses the mark. (But please don't take that the wrong way douchebag.)

Seriously, an opinion is an opinion regarding styles, designs etc.,and we should of course be allowed our varying opinions.
I'm just having a difficult time understanding how anyone with even a tiny semblance of architectural or
construction knowledge could refer to this project as impractical. Needless to say, a building that is both
artistically sophisticated ( by unanimous opinion on the intermountain forum) and at the same time achieves a
Net Zero capability is anything but impractical.

Also, your assertion that the tens of billions of dollars being invested in a city and it's metro (population 2.3 million,
rapidly climbing and among the three to five fastest growing in the U.S.) is somehow insignificant makes me wonder
at the very least what type of deck your playing with. Though, I apologize if the problem is only a lack of updated
knowledge. Salt Lake City and it's Wasatch Front MSA/CSA have been over the past few years, and continue to be
one of a handful of current boom areas in the nation. The shear volume and quality of it's commercial, residential,
mass transit and tranportation buildup is very impressive, even from my own Los Angeles perspective.

Yeah, this and dozens of other multi-million/billion dollar projects are comparatively tiny indeed . Might I suggest
that you skim the last twenty pages of this thread. Hey, you might find it informative.

UtahUrbanForum.com

By John Martin

Bromeister,
I'm just noticing that your very new to the forum. I apologize if I've sounded a little too sarcastic. Just a word of
advice, that I also had to learn when I was a new forumer. Lose the presumptive behavior, and first understand the
entire perspective.

Last edited by delts145; May 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations