HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
They don't have the money to begin, and there is no definite way to predict the market even a year ahead, let alone 5 years.

Yea I grow less and less satisfied about the TRUMP name.
I agree about trying to predict the market as well. One only has to look at the developer of the Chicago Spire to know how horribly wrong a bet like that can go.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:29 AM

Iberville Redevelopment

I shared an elevator with one of the developers today and we began talking about the Iberville redevelopment and as he was describing what many of the residents envision for the development I told him that it sounded an awful lot like South Side Works in Pittsburgh.

I think it goes without saying that if this is even remotely close to what eventually is built that it would really accelerate the revitalization of the Canal/Rampart section of the city.

It seemed stalled somewhat after KFK completed 1201 Canal and the Broadway South announcement but it seems like it's beginning to inch forward again.

The Bio Innovation Center in near completion, the bridge loan given to the Seanger Theater keeps it chugging along, the approval of the Old Texaco Bldg to transform it to condos for seniors by KFK, the possibility of the Woolworth site being redeveloped into condos and now you add something similar to South Side Works right around the corner?

This would make the theaters much more viable and likely accelerate their return to commerce not to mention how much the rows of open and blighted businesses along that section of Rampart would benefit from this.

Let's not forget that Armstrong Park - fresh from it's complete overhaul - is the entranceway to the Lafitte Greenway (It really is going to be built - I promise.).

Not to mention the new medical complex, the South of Market project, the streetcar expansion, Superdome upgrade and other projects I'm surely forgetting (I didn't even talk about the Bywater for example) and it's hard to really wrap your head around how great this place is going to be once the Superbowl rolls around.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 4:49 AM
TL;DR

South Side Works didn't have to deal with public housing tenants.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
South Side Works didn't have to deal with public housing tenants.
There is affordable housing in South Side Works.

In fact, it was pointed out to me by the developer that is what made that deal work financially (all the tax credits, etc) in Pittsburgh and what will make this one work as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 6:36 AM

Iberville redevelopment

I would definitely live in those if they were to look like that. I'm glad to see implementation of mixed-use development. I don't know how anyone can support seclusion of all the poor in one place. I think this has real potential to improve the area and make it safer for everyone.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 6:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I would definitely live in those if they were to look like that. I'm glad to see implementation of mixed-use development. I don't know how anyone can support seclusion of all the poor in one place. I think this has real potential to improve the area and make it safer for everyone.
The only thing I ask for in mixed income is that the lower income tenant have a one strike and your out rule. The building on the corner of Rampart and Esplanade has something like that and it works great.

On another note what do you guys think about the city relegalizing prostitution in the old Storyville area only? WOuldnt it be a great way to reduce crime, create a safe place for the workers in that industry and generate some serious tax revenue.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:08 PM
-

New bid revolving around the Piazza di Italia.

1584698 New Orleans, LA Office 05/11/2011
Description Bid Number: 8974-01110 Description: RFQ_Piazza d'Italia Architectural & Engineering Services Bid Opening Date: 05/27/2011 05:00:00 PM Purchaser: Neal A. Harrison Department: 8974 - PIZZA D' ITALIA Location: MYPDI - PIZZA D' ITALIA R.

Rendering of LSUs new Human Development Center(Im a bit confused here as there is a rendering of a building for this same parcel that is on a sign out there... perhaps this is an older design because the one on the sign on Tulane looks much more modern)

New Jesuit Athletic Field

Last edited by tennis1400; May 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:36 PM

Where is this new LSU human development center? Is it part of the hospital complex?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Amen. Those days are loooong gone fortunately.

Besides employment opportunities, mixed income development has been the single biggest driver in the reduction of crippling urban poverty in the US since 2000.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Where is this new LSU human development center? Is it part of the hospital complex?
I hope not, it would be way, way more useful off-site.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:42 PM

1031 Canal St

Does anyone know the latest on 1031 Canal?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
These are not on the new hospitals footprint but are on the other side of Tulane from the future hospitals.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Ill ask my father if he can find anymore info since hes on the LHFA Board. However, I think the building was supposed to be complete by the end of this year for their credits to qualify that seems unlikely at this stage. Anyway, will let you know what if anything I learn.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ill ask my father if he can find anymore info since hes on the LHFA Board. However, I think the building was supposed to be complete by the end of this year for their credits to qualify that seems unlikely at this stage. Anyway, will let you know what if anything I learn.
Tennis, I think you're confusing 1031 Canal (the old Woolworth's building) with 1501 (the old Texaco building). Either way, I haven't heard an update on either.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
TL;DR

last i heard about 1031 canal, the approval vote in city council was deferred and it has not reappeared in any subsequent agendas.

just to avoid being labeled a pessimist, i'm gonna assume that kristen palmer is working with khoury to improve the design before scheduling a vote.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
These are not on the new hospitals footprint but are on the other side of Tulane from the future hospitals.
Correct. It's the vacant lot that has has piles driven for quite some time. It's on Tulane, across from the future UMC, between S Prieur and S Johnson St.

It's a 13 million dollar project.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
The developers have submitted their project for review by the CBD panel of the HDLC for review and "tweaking".

That was back in February and I'm not sure where they are currently on it but it's not dead.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 1:52 AM

Just as an FYI:

Norfolk-Southern Corporation Board Meeting Tomorrow, 5/11

As the RTA develops its plans to extend a streetcar line down N Rampart Street and St. Claude Avenue, one of the only impediments to reaching Poland Avenue is the support of Norfolk-Southern for an at-grade crossing of their tracks at Press Street. The Norfolk-Southern Corporation, which owns and operates the railroad switching yard that crosses St. Claude Avenue at Press Street, is holding a Board meeting tomorrow to discuss its position regarding a streetcar crossing at that intersection.

The Bywater Neighborhood Association, Bywater Crossover, and several other neighborhood and Main Street organizations have submitted a letter asking them to allow an at grade crossing for the new streetcar. We at Transport for NOLA are submitting a letter of support as well, and we encourage you to voice your support by writing the Norfolk-Southern Board.

Write the Board of Norfolk-Southern Railroad to Encourage At-Grade Streetcar Crossing

Here are some points to consider, which you might include in your letter:
  • Encourage the Norfolk-Southern Corporation to support an at-grade streetcar crossing at Press Street
  • The downriver neighborhoods—the Marigny, Bywater, St. Roch, St. Claude, and Upper Ninth Ward—in New Orleans are undergoing a renaissance, but they are still affected by blight and a lack of development
  • There is a large transit-dependent and choice transit ridership in the downriver neighborhoods, with the St. Claude bus line continuing to be one of the busiest in the city
  • A streetcar line to Poland Avenue will enhance transit service while promoting support reinvestment
  • The major obstacle to extending to Poland Avenue is the perception that Norfolk-Southern objects to an at-grade crossing of its tracks at Press Street.
  • An at-grade crossing can be safely achieved for the following reasons:
  • Lack of incidence despite current traffic volume: despite the lack of mechanical arms, thousands of cars, trucks, semi, cyclists, and pedestrians cross the tracks—daily and at-grade—without incident
  • Other at-grade streetcar—railroad crossings in New Orleans: the RTA Riverfront streetcar line has three at-grade rail crossings over New Orleans Public Belt Class I tracks, which have been operating without incident for almost two decades.
  • Historical precedent: from February, 1926, until January, 1949, the City of New Orleans operated the St. Claude Avenue streetcar line, which safely and reliably crossed over the same railroad tracks now operated by Norfolk-Southern.
  • Limited interference with current Norfolk-Southern operations: the streetcar line will be designed to minimize interference with the operation of the railroad.
  • No other feasible crossing: the 2003 Environmental Impact Study conducted by the RTA found an above-grade or below-grade crossing to be cost-prohibitive.

The Bywater Neighborhood Association and Bywater Crossover have drafted a boilerplate letter to the Norfolk-Southern Corporation Board that can be downloaded here.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:15 AM

[QUOTE=tennis1400;5274321]New bid revolving around the Piazza di Italia.

1584698 New Orleans, LA Office 05/11/2011
Description Bid Number: 8974-01110 Description: RFQ_Piazza d'Italia Architectural & Engineering Services Bid Opening Date: 05/27/2011 05:00:00 PM Purchaser: Neal A. Harrison Department: 8974 - PIZZA D' ITALIA Location: MYPDI - PIZZA D' ITALIA R.

Rendering of LSUs new Human Development Center(Im a bit confused here as there is a rendering of a building for this same parcel that is on a sign out there... perhaps this is an older design because the one on the sign on Tulane looks much more modern)

This rendering is for the larger lot with the pilings already driven. This is right next to the lot with the more modern looking rendering, which will be the LSUHSC foundations building. Both are planned to be starting construction soon, both are on Tulane directly across from the new hospital complex.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:35 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
No other feasible crossing: the 2003 Environmental Impact Study conducted by the RTA found an above-grade or below-grade crossing to be cost-prohibitive.
As I mentioned before, I think this conclusion is total BS. A below-grade crossing would indeed be quite expensive but a small overpass, for the streetcar tracks only (not the traffic lanes of St. Claude) could be built quickly and inexpensively so long as St. Ferdinand and Montegut Streets are closed off in the median of St. Claude.

The overpass would be short, since streetcars can handle steep grades, and have an open airy structure, since streetcars don't need a solid concrete deck. Pedestrian/bike connectivity can be maintained at each of the three closed street crossings. It would not look anything like the Chinese wall that the St. Claude/Claiborne overpasses form at the Industrial Canal.

Last edited by ardecila; May 12, 2011 at 4:20 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations