HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:34 PM

"Nutrien has now expanded to nine floors [out of the 14-floor building]," Sinclair said. "[That's] a true sign of their continued confidence in the Saskatchewan economy."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncil-1.5407897

welp I hope the 14 floor comment is just a typo...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
picture it, Bucharest, 1963.. ..wow that is an ugo...
YouTube video of Baydo's architect in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTg...rr_watch_on_yt

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
"Nutrien has now expanded to nine floors [out of the 14-floor building]," Sinclair said. "[That's] a true sign of their continued confidence in the Saskatchewan economy."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncil-1.5407897

welp I hope the 14 floor comment is just a typo...
Tough to tell if they were actually reporting something that Blair Sinclair said, or if the reporter was just filling in what they thought the # of floors was.

No reason for concern, though - it's still 18 floors. Nutrien has floors 10 -18, leaving floors 3 - 9 still for lease.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Tough to tell if they were actually reporting something that Blair Sinclair said, or if the reporter was just filling in what they thought the # of floors was.

No reason for concern, though - it's still 18 floors. Nutrien has floors 10 -18, leaving floors 3 - 9 still for lease.
What is on 1-2?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That's too funny, Stormer. It always amazes me how you find interesting things such as this.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
What is on 1-2?
Presuming that things will be pretty much like they are in the East Tower, the first floor will be common area with likely one retail CRU space and the 2nd floor will be common amenities for the tenants. There may be some leasable space, too, but not much.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
I heard they do everything in-house, from conceptual design to blueprints, including all architectural and engineering disciplines. Unfortunately this is probably the limits of their in-house design crew. Anyone with more talent probably owns or works at a design/engineering firm.

On the bright side I also heard that they have recently engaged an outside designer to spruce it up a bit based on negative feedback they have received... not sure from whom... maybe the city? But who knows, maybe some Baydo staff lurking on here were influenced by our “constructive” feedback.

Look at us shaming one boring developer at a time into building something worthwhile!! Jk, but hopefully there is some truth to some improvements coming. Though, we’d be fooling ourselves if we expect anything like riverlanding or highpoint. That’s not their market.
Thanks for the informative reply. I'm not really into bashing developers that want to actually invest, just that it gets to a point where is what they are developing contributing in a positive way? Or even just not negative? Obviously to a would be buyer there would be potential value in that boring communist design, it would also potentially bring more residents to the downtown area which could make it more vibrant. I just see the potential to go a little beyond the minimum to actually attract people that are enthusiastic about it, helping the area be desirable and improving the downtown area not just sustaining it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
That's hilarious... I get the value-engineering part at the beginning but didn't understand the meaning of the buildings being installed everywhere, so looked up what "Irony of fate" means and found out it was in reference to a Russian film that has a fantastic sounding plot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irony_of_Fate

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:48 PM

Preaching to the choir here for the most part, but this article really sums up the dangers of sprawl and suburban developments.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ent-2019-12-16

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Thanks for the informative reply. I'm not really into bashing developers that want to actually invest, just that it gets to a point where is what they are developing contributing in a positive way? Or even just not negative? Obviously to a would be buyer there would be potential value in that boring communist design, it would also potentially bring more residents to the downtown area which could make it more vibrant. I just see the potential to go a little beyond the minimum to actually attract people that are enthusiastic about it, helping the area be desirable and improving the downtown area not just sustaining it.
As unpretty as it is (and I have faith they'll redraw), don't forget that they could be North Prairie / Canwest - creating fake news story about both residential and commercial builds downtown solely to scare aware out of town developers.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:31 PM

This fairly useless monster just started getting built in Stonebridge.

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-CA...ada/CAN2002389

Does anyone else agree that Stonebridge approved too much commercial space? The city almost set themselves up for losing downtown tenants to stonebridge.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:18 PM

Progress on Midtown's new 1st Ave entrance:

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:21 PM

Yes....pretty impressive wreath in the entrance window! Does anyone know if the Bay side of mall is getting the same exterior face-lift?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:25 PM

Can't remember if this document on the conservatory was shared here.. and I'm assuming this project is starting up soon.

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...cumentId=92294

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Progress on Midtown's new 1st Ave entrance:
Fully abandoning the train station motif.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 11:13 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Fully abandoning the train station motif.
Train station entrance is still there. This is a new entrance blown out of the side of the old Sears space, to the south of 21st St.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:16 PM

Levefre is frustrated about the farmers market loss.

I feel like the city has someone like Federated Co-op interested in animating this space similar to the chain known as Eataly. Hopefully we hear something extremely positive in March - it seems like the farmers market staff didn't handle it well either, but the city has also handled this oh so terribly. I can't see Lefevre talking to the CBC without first talking to Charlie Clark to hear that the RFP process went brutal.

Hopefully the airport farmers market opens up on a street downtown in the summer - like hell am I ever taking guests I have over in the summer to the airport district lol.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...oper-1.5416573

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:25 PM

Limited to what I have read and heard in the media, I certainly feel there are two sides to the story of the Farmers Market. I would have loved to have seen it continue at River Landing, but I also felt there was a missed opportunity there for the non market days.

Hopefully there will be a creative solution to the site that still makes it a fun and entertaining destination for locals and tourists.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:53 PM

I am certain there is plenty of blame to go around between both parties over the falling out. The Saskatoon Farmers Market definitely got the upper hand in pushing their narrative in the local media though, painting the City as being solely blameworthy. I suppose there was no winning for the city in trying point fingers back at them, so I guess they could only stay mum and bear the thrashing.

But I sensed a certain intransigence from the farmers market throughout the entire affair. An unwillingness to evolve the space or their operating model. Not to mention the entitlement. Some of the comments that their leadership made in the press were absolutely outrageous, such as demanding public subsidies for their move to the suburbs. These comments did nothing to win my sympathy.

I'm concerned about what the outcome of this may be, but hopeful for something great.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:31 PM

If the farmers' market's new location can turn into something like the Edmonton Bountiful Farmers' Market (https://bountifulmarkets.com/) I think it could do really well. I'm definitely interested to see what they come up with--their temporary space in an old office building with drop ceiling looks about as drab as it could possibly get so they don't have far to go to at least make THAT look better...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan