HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:58 PM

^ Certainly.

My goal has always been to express concerns about the city as I see them. In the case of Ice District obvious expectations were not met.

- Extra Signature tower not build - a downgrade
- Theater complex not built - a downgrade
- high end commercial signature shopping - nope
The LED response was just a small part of a bigger disappointment.

If no wants to hear about that then They don't have to read it

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 4:40 PM

It would have made no sense to build a theatre complex at Ice District when there is already a theatre complex next door: Landmark at ECC.

High end commercial signature shopping was also at ECC, but then the pandemic, supply issues and high interest rates all contributed towards transforming ECC into a ghost town. However, Henry Singer relocated to the Stantec Tower recently, so maybe similar retailers will follow. I have heard that plans for the Stantec food court will be forthcoming, so stay tuned.

The pandemic, supply issues and high interest rates also quashed plans for a new tower. CWB was supposed to move into a new Ice District tower but they opted for a relocation to Manulife Place instead. I'm not sure what the plans are for the Connect Centre aside from an expansion of the Canadian Icehouse and Banquet spaces. I'm looking forward to ICE District Phase 2 north of Rogers Place.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 4:51 PM
Change is good

I think Rocket252 is right, and so is everyone. It's a matter of opinion. In rockets opinion, the development hasn't reached expectations. Which is fair, I think, as in my mind, it's not finished, yet. There's still more to come, and then the land north of the arena which will eventually get started - and bring more people in to the area. Residents. That's what the area and all of downtown needs. But its such a chicken and egg thing here. The arena was suppose to be that chicken or egg.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
It would have made no sense to build a theatre complex at Ice District when there is already a theatre complex next door: Landmark at ECC.
In a perfect world, Landmark would not be long for that location if the site eventually got redeveloped. That former Eaton Centre mall has to go.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
In a perfect world, Landmark would not be long for that location if the site eventually got redeveloped. That former Eaton Centre mall has to go.
If Landmark at ECC goes away then I want to see an IMAX theatre complex in the podium of a new mixed-use building on the SE corner of 104 Ave/101 St, replacing that parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:53 PM

It's nice to have a part of downtown that is a bit shiny/glitzy and new given so much of downtown can look quite tired.

But is it a destination? Unless I am going to Rogers place for an event, i would have absolutely no reason to visit Ice District. It's a destination the same way Rexall Place was- go for a game or concert, no other reason to visit otherwise.
Once it has a stronger concentration of one of kind restaurants and shops, and actual entertainment spots it will be a place you could even take out of town guests. Unless you're looking to hit every bank in a 1 block radius, the district leaves much to be desired. A bowling alley, billiards, darts, escape room, rec room, arcade, small venue for comedy shows/performances, a dance club, I don't know, but it needs some actual entertainment beyond the arena.

March will mark 10 years since construction on the arena started, hopefully things can eventually take off.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 5:57 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
It's nice to have a part of downtown that is a bit shiny/glitzy and new given so much of downtown can look quite tired.

But is it a destination? Unless I am going to Rogers place for an event, i would have absolutely no reason to visit Ice District. It's a destination the same way Rexall Place was- go for a game or concert, no other reason to visit otherwise.
Once it has a stronger concentration of one of kind restaurants and shops, and actual entertainment spots it will be a place you could even take out of town guests. Unless you're looking to hit every bank in a 1 block radius, the district leaves much to be desired. A bowling alley, billiards, darts, escape room, rec room, arcade, small venue for comedy shows/performances, a dance club, I don't know, but it needs some actual entertainment beyond the arena.

March will mark 10 years since construction on the arena started, hopefully things can eventually take off.
I believe you just described exactly what Banquet offers, literally accessible via Ice District Plaza

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:24 PM

^good catch, I have actually never been there since I didnt even know what it was, I assumed it was just another restaurant given the name lol.

the rec room doesnt have a dance club or escape room, so this sounds like a step up. I'll try and check it out one of these days. No one i know has ever mentioned it

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post

Sounds like you're describing The Banquet, which has a few of those things going on inside it. Chvrch is next door as well for live events or Home & Away had music a few times and darts.

The square has been great the last few winters and we've skated on it quite a bit with my family that works next door going there at lunch for a skate! We've also been there with kids quite a bit and we've found lots of options nearby (mainly BPs, but it has it's place after all and I that it for it's service).

City Market is open which is good for day traffic and I bet more people will walk around the area when Station Lands tower is occupied. Resounding success in my eyes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:29 PM

There are 2 parkades on 103rd that are really the next step to this area being top tier.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:42 AM
Community Guy

Rumour of the week by Avenuer on SRC:

'Rumor has it that a developer with projects adjacent to and within proximity of the old Bay section is looking to partner with the current owner to develop a tower or two on the old Bay section of the mall (they have an investor on board).'

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...7#post-2045008

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 3:45 AM

I went to Edmonton City Centre movie theatre a month ago to watch Willy Wonka and there was only 5 other people there besides me and my date in the entire theatre. There were more employees than customers, I won't be surprised if they close the theatre down soon.

Large TVs and Netflix killed the movie theatre, why pay an arm and a leg to go and watch something when it is just as entertaining to do so at home.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I went to Edmonton City Centre movie theatre a month ago to watch Willy Wonka and there was only 5 other people there besides me and my date in the entire theatre. There were more employees than customers, I won't be surprised if they close the theatre down soon.

Large TVs and Netflix killed the movie theatre, why pay an arm and a leg to go and watch something when it is just as entertaining to do so at home.
Totally agree....I was a Huge movie theater buff since I was a kid. But even having a Big screen and access to the most recent movies online etc. It didn't matter, most movies are total garbage these days anyway, and when we did go to the theater to many people were obnoxious and loud. How was the new Willy Wonka? The 70s version is my Fav.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 3:59 AM

Willy Wonka was OK for a musical, probably would have enjoyed it more if I was a kid.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Willy Wonka was OK for a musical, probably would have enjoyed it more if I was a kid.

Well, hopefully the date went better.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:27 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Rumour of the week by Avenuer on SRC:

'Rumor has it that a developer with projects adjacent to and within proximity of the old Bay section is looking to partner with the current owner to develop a tower or two on the old Bay section of the mall (they have an investor on board).'

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...7#post-2045008
For reference

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:53 PM

When we are talking about Willie Wonka is it the movie character or downtown Developers?

I get confused.

The name sounds appropriate

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
For reference
What are you referencing for? Can you say more?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:26 PM
Community Guy

Those are simply old plans/renderings for ECC.

Curious to see what the next iteration might be...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:30 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton