HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I like going back and reading through topics and I’d like to note We vs Us dropped the first hint of this project back in 2019:
Damn. Nice find.

Looking back I'm guessing the "higher end Hilton brand" was ultimately the Conrad, which -- while not on Rainey proper -- is only a few blocks away from this project.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 4:21 PM

Any chatter or speculation on this big boy?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 7:34 PM
Curlee Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Any chatter or speculation on this big boy?
Focus is apparently on securing different terms for the senior debt for Nashville first

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:14 PM

The disassembly of one of the cranes for The Travis stopped here and the equipment to disassemble isn't on site anymore.

Considering that The Ritz/Phase II would be adjacent to this construction site, would this indicate that Ritz/Phase II is continuing?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:45 PM

One of the workers disassembling the crane on Sunday was injured and was taken to the hospital. Work stopped at that point.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
One of the workers disassembling the crane on Sunday was injured and was taken to the hospital. Work stopped at that point.
I'm aware that there was heat-related illness, but for them to demobilize the disassembling crane doesn't seem necessary. Couldn't they just get someone else to take the place?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
I'm aware that there was heat-related illness, but for them to demobilize the disassembling crane doesn't seem necessary. Couldn't they just get someone else to take the place?
Regardless of the reason for the work stoppage, the Ritz won't be starting any time soon because they don't have an approved site plan. The developers haven't even filed for one. The approved Travis site plan includes a second tower. But because the Ritz project is significantly greater in scope, the site plan will need to be resubmitted similar to what Lincoln had to do with the approved Waller Park Place site plan in order to get the Waterline Tower approved.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Not until OSHA or someone investigated if there is adequate hydration stations available and rest periods during the hottest parts of the day. Also to make sure all the workers know the protocol for avoiding heat related illnesses during this wicked heat wave. They would want to prevent this from happening to someone else if there isn't some sort of protection in place.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Not until OSHA or someone investigated if there is adequate hydration stations available and rest periods during the hottest parts of the day. Also to make sure all the workers know the protocol for avoiding heat related illnesses during this wicked heat wave. They would want to prevent this from happening to someone else if there isn't some sort of protection in place.
What can they even do? Didn’t Abbott ban mandated water breaks? https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06...ction-workers/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
What can they even do? Didn’t Abbott ban mandated water breaks? https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06...ction-workers/
So, you can lead a construction worker to water, but you just can't make them drink. This looks like beuratic de -cluttering. It doesn't tell a construction company that they can't provide water and respite from the heat to its workers, but they can neither force it on them or deny it. Especially if OSHA gets involved, and lawyers regarding the latter.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Aside from Abbott being an idiot, most reputable construction companies have their own break policies that are more stringent than that ordinance. Years ago when I did commercial construction in the heat, it was a 15 minute break every 45 minutes if it was over 90 I believe.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 3:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Aside from Abbott being an idiot, most reputable construction companies have their own break policies that are more stringent than that ordinance. Years ago when I did commercial construction in the heat, it was a 15 minute break every 45 minutes if it was over 90 I believe.
In college at UT, I loaded trucks for UPS. In the summer when it was 100º outside, it was much hotter inside those trucks... probably closer to 115 or so. There were mandated water breaks. That was before Abbitiot, but at least UPS workers are (or at least were) protected by the union to ensure safety, among other things. I would assume construction workers are in a similar situation. Then again this is Texas and that assumption could be wishful thinking.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I worked outdoors for a major home builder each summer through college. We were CONSTATNLY told to drink loads of water and the dangers of heat.

If a Super told one of his/her workers not to go to the bathroom or stop for water, he/she would be laughed at immediately.

I just completed my 5th personal project (a home for my family). I hired a builder, but I was onsite most everyday. The workers I've seen in the last 20 years of my personal projects were treated like the valuable resource they are, by myself, by the subcontractors and by the builder/supers.

Contrary to what people may think, most construction workers are paid/treated well (especially by large reputable companies). Good workers are hard to find and retain, and they know this because competing builders try to poach/hire them from the jobsites they are currently working on....sometimes right in front of me.

The tight builder labor market may ease up, but I don't see it till the current pipeline of homes/buildings are completed. Till then, the workers sit in the cat bird seat, and they know it.....and good for them. They certainly deserve it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
So, you can lead a construction worker to water, but you just can't make them drink. This looks like beuratic de -cluttering. It doesn't tell a construction company that they can't provide water and respite from the heat to its workers, but they can neither force it on them or deny it. Especially if OSHA gets involved, and lawyers regarding the latter.
that's really cool. great for workers out there in 100+ degree heat.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
No, he banned cities from enacting their own policies covering such matters, and they should follow federal OSHA mandates.
Water breaks are NOT banned - that is just partisan baloney.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
No, he banned cities from enacting their own policies covering such matters, and they should follow federal OSHA mandates.
It still sounds like a bunch of baloney coming from Abbott. Cities should be allowed to set their own rules and guidelines.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I said he banned the mandate, not water breaks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 8:30 PM

Quote:
I said he banned the mandate, not water breaks.
Even that is kind of a dumb headline. He banned the ability of cities to enforce certain types of regulations with water breaks being a fun example that the media is running with. By no means was the legislation targeted at water breaks specifically.

Mind you, I hate Abbott and wish the state would mind their own business, but I also hate the ridiculous amount of partisanship these days that produces ridiculous headlines like this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 7:21 AM
Curlee Capital

Regardless, every law enacted outside the legislature or courts is unconstitutional.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneetigers View Post
Regardless, every law enacted outside the legislature or courts is unconstitutional.
Take THAT, HOA....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin