HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:51 PM
I am the law!

You can't just buy the fastest German bobsleds either. They keep that stuff secret. Lesser extent, same applies to other sport like cross country, ski jumping, etc.we don't do as well in.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
New Brunswick and Newfoundland didn't have any athletes in the Pyeongchang Olympics.
Alberta with a quarter of all the Canadian athletes at these games had more athletes than Quebec.
Kaetlyn Osmond (gold & bronze medalist figure skater) is from Marystown NL.

You are unfortunately correct that there were no NBers at the Olympics.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:32 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm glad that Canada didn't do as well in hockey this time. More focus needs to be put on the other sports where Canada won lots of medals.
The athletes from those 'other sports' want the NHLers at the Olympics for the additional eyeballs.

Tune in for the hockey game, stick around and watch luge, become interested in luge.

Ratings were way down this year, part being the time difference, but no pro hockey was biggest reason.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Kaetlyn Osmond (gold & bronze medalist figure skater) is from Marystown NL.

You are unfortunately correct that there were no NBers at the Olympics.
Oh, I completely missed that about Kaitlyn Osmond, i had to google her name to see that see was actually born in Newfoundland. NBC, just said she practices/rehearses in West Ed Mall & is from Sherwood Park AB.

NBC's coverage rarely spoke of where athletes were born in each country. Only maybe if the athlete was born in one country but skates in a different country from birth like the Canadian born lady from the French pairs team or the Houston, Texas born skater on one of Canada's pairs dance team.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:53 PM

We should just credit Germany for having a competitive hockey team this go around.

I would have wrote them off, but their gutsy effort against Russia (they were less than a minute away from stealing the gold away from Russia) proved they were a worthy competitor.

What the NHL needs to do is decide no less than a year in advance if they're allowing players to go to the Olympics so that countries can develop team properly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Oh, I completely missed that about Kaitlyn Osmond, i had to google her name to see that see was actually born in Newfoundland. NBC, just said she practices/rehearses in West Ed Mall & is from Sherwood Park AB.

NBC's coverage rarely spoke of where athletes were born in each country. Only maybe if the athlete was born in one country but skates in a different country from birth like the Canadian born lady from the French pairs team or the Houston, Texas born skater on one of Canada's pairs dance team.
Well, that's at least one case where NBC's world-beating coverage isn't so awesome. I am sure that the CBC would never have omitted the fact that Osmond is from Newfoundland.

And if you're talking about the French skater Gabriella Papadakis, she's born in Clermont-Ferrand, France, but moved to Montreal to train. (Not sure if that's an NBC blunder or if you just misunderstood.)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Understandable. Most east coast athletes, once they become good enough, have to leave the region for training.

My next door neighbour is an ex NHLer. His daughter is now on the junior national short track speed skating team. She had to leave Moncton for training and now spends the school year in Montreal. I imagine she will be Olympic bound for Beijing........

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, that's at least one case where NBC's world-beating coverage isn't so awesome. I am sure that the CBC would never have omitted the fact that Osmond is from Newfoundland.
I have the impression that CBC wasn't all that forthcoming regarding where the athletes were from. I remember being curious during several interviews about the hometowns and locations of the athletes, and CBC rarely mentioned them.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:35 PM
I am the law!

Dave Duncan was born in London and currently resides in Whistler.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Dave Duncan was born in London and currently resides in Whistler.
Isn't he going to be residing in South Korea for a little bit longer than planned?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I have the impression that CBC wasn't all that forthcoming regarding where the athletes were from. I remember being curious during several interviews about the hometowns and locations of the athletes, and CBC rarely mentioned them.
I still trust the CBC way more than NBC for getting things right about Canadian athletes.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:41 PM
I am the law!

They let him go. I guess Korea has more important things on their mind than dealing with Canadians.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 6:43 PM
arf

^^Zing. Not really. He was released with an $1,100 fine. Apparently it was him, his technical trainer and his wife. No one in the group of three thought getting into an idling Hummer to drive it away was a bad idea.

The technical coach, who was driving had a BAC of .162.

So much stupidity.

"To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, alll of life's problems." ~Homer Simpson~

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:

And if you're talking about the French skater Gabriella Papadakis, she's born in Clermont-Ferrand, France, but moved to Montreal to train. (Not sure if that's an NBC blunder or if you just misunderstood.)
I'm not sure if trivia of where each & every athlete is born is that important to American views especially if they can't put a place name into relation to where it exists.

I still don't think it's an NBC or my understanding on my part blunder.
Googling Vanessa James just now..
.. shows NBC to be exactly right.

Quote:
Originally posted by MonctonRad
Understandable. Most east coast athletes, once they become good enough, have to leave the region for training.
That probably is the case for most athletes in Atlantic Canada. According to wiki, in Kaetlyn Osmond's case, when she was 7, her family moved from Newfoundland to Montreal & later to Edmonton because of her father being in oil business.
I should be working for NBC

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm not sure if trivia of where each & every athlete is born is that important to American views especially if they can't put a place name into relation to where it exists.
It's important to me as a Canadian. Or at least, more important than visiting the bunny hill where Lindsay Vonn started skiing, which is the type of stuff that NBC and any other country's Olympic coverage is about for at least a chunk of the day.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at but NBC is not even close to being "the world's Olympic network". There is no "universal" aspect to its coverage. No more than any other country's network. It's the national Olympic network of the country known as the United States.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Because we're all Canadian.

CBC gains nothing by mentioning an athlete is from Alberta or Quebec or wherever. Just opens the door for favoritism and narrative-building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Because we're all Canadian.

CBC gains nothing by mentioning an athlete is from Alberta or Quebec or wherever. Just opens the door for favoritism and narrative-building.
Exactly, there's a lot of regionalism in Canada,...I do find it funny sometimes with Canadian media expressing shock & dismay on how a World Class snowboarder could possibly come from Saskatchewan.. even though the province has hills with elevations higher than a province like Ontario, & no one ever questions alpine athletes from there.

Quote:
It's important to me as a Canadian. Or at least, more important than visiting the bunny hill where Lindsay Vonn started skiing, which is the type of stuff that NBC and any other country's Olympic coverage is about for at least a chunk of the day.
I really enjoyed Lindsay Vonn's profile on NBC, especially since I live closer to Wisconsin than to eastern half of Canada, & Vonn starting out on smaller hills on The Plains really paralleled my experience of learning to ski from my mom on The Prairies. It experiences that helped me to tackle Montana, Rockies, Coastal mtn, Tahoe, Alps etc.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Holy grasping at straws Batman.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

somebody's tissue-paper thin skin is showing through

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:15 AM
I am the law!

He does offer explanation why we aren't 🏅 contenders in alpine skiing. It's all BC and Alberta's fault.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada