HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I still find it hard to believe that an LA summer olympics would help a SLC bid around the same time

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=44987241&ni...-lake-olympics
Your thought was true in the past, but no longer. In the "good ol" days of the IOC, they were very careful to spread the Olympics around the world, so even hemispheres would not be really in the running for back-to-back games. But look recently, you have Beijing, now South Korea I think for winter coming up, then Tokyo for summer, then Beijing for winter. Gone are those days, because of finances.

Plus, the IOC, and cities, are realizing that bankrupting cities for hosting games isn't sustainable, hence why Beijing is getting a winter olympics when it's going to have to make 90% of the snow. They're gravitating toward cities where the cost to put on the games is much less, where infrastructure is already in place. You can thank Sochi and Russia for that. So right there, SLC gains stature as a host city over most cities in the world. Plus, with fewer cities even bidding to host, it helps SLC.

There's even been a lot of talk of turning the Olympics into what the Super Bowl used to be, rotating between a few select cities where infrastructure would be maintained in between the games. LA, London, Sydney, Beijing, etc. Winter games could do the same, and SLC would be right at the top, if not in the #1 spot.

The old rules of the Olympics and hosting venues are long gone, which is good for SLC going forward.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:26 PM

Babs Delay says the Convention Hotel will be announced soon. Has anyone heard anything about this?

https://www.cityweekly.net/UrbanLivi...-town-remnants

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Babs Delay says the Convention Hotel will be announced soon. Has anyone heard anything about this?

He probably just reads this forum.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm not counting on Held being interested in Residential or Hotel. Only reason I am thinking that is because all of their properties in Los Angeles and the Phoenix area over the past few decades have been commercial office space, most of which have been related to the Medical field. This seems to be their field of expertise, and I think Downtown could definitely use a Class A Medical Center. I'm thinking something like the new Dixon Building development going up in Sugar House. Hopefully, for that 4th S. W. Temple corner even taller than the Dixon Development[/COLOR][/B]
The plan is the same as it has been for this property since they were looking at acquiring it: at least part residential (could be all residential) and hotel plus office on the corner. Medical office is unlikely and the office portion will likely be at LEAST 3 years out from completion as they need pre-leasing like everyone else downtown and the residential/possible hotel portion will almost certainly come first.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:18 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post

Huh. Her last brief mention of Vivint Arena got me thinking, the Jazz organization probably won't be making significant upgrades to the arena block again anytime soon, but what is the likelihood of a developer purchasing one of the corner lots on the arena block and building something there? The NE corner is probably set with this renovation, but I think the SE corner of that block (the one closest to the Japanese Church), could benefit from a structure. That isn't a great location for a plaza. Any lot that fronts 300 West isn't a great location for a plaza. The NW corner (by UP Depot), imo, is fine as a plaza, as long as it's reconfigured so all those steps aren't fronting the sidewalk. From the renovation renderings, it looks like that reconfiguration will be happening in the next couple months, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:20 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymtw12 View Post
The plan is the same as it has been for this property since they were looking at acquiring it: at least part residential (could be all residential) and hotel plus office on the corner. Medical office is unlikely and the office portion will likely be at LEAST 3 years out from completion as they need pre-leasing like everyone else downtown and the residential/possible hotel portion will almost certainly come first.
We don't believe hearsay anymore. We want proof!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
We don't believe hearsay anymore. We want proof!
About as much proof as the LaPorte project which really means a completed structure. Lol

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:01 AM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:38 AM

The mormons had no part of why Hayward left Utah. It's called Boston offered him a better contract deal. Plus this message board isn't to be blaming someone's religion. It is for people to keep people updated on developments of Salt Lake City buildings Honestly Utah will probably never get a MLB team or NHL team because there isn't a fan base for it here. But again get back on topic people and talk about what's being built or in development. Plus we lost the outdoor retailer mainly to the bear monument(or whatever its called) and a little bit because there isn't enough hotel space.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:00 PM

http://https://mic.com/articles/182034/why-millennials-are-fleeing-mississippi-and-flocking-in-droves-to-these-us-states#.fJJXV2lD1

Apparently Millennials don't like Mississippi. As a millennial living in Mississippi for the summer, that does not surprise me.

However, it looks like their loss is our gain:

"While Washington, D.C., has the highest percentage of millennials per capita, according to Governing, Utah and Alaska rank first and second respectively among states for net positive millennial migration."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:08 PM

Sweet. The thread is up again.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:49 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
"While Washington, D.C., has the highest percentage of millennials per capita, according to Governing, Utah and Alaska rank first and second respectively among states for net positive millennial migration."
Sorry to kill the short lived positive tone, but that data seemed off to me so I looked at the original (cited) article and it appears whoever wrote the sentence above is wrong. If you look at the data from the original article, Utah and Alaska rank first and second respectively among states in the portion of residents that are millennials, not for net positive millennial migration.

Among all states, Utah (3.3%) and Alaska (4.1%) rank 18th and 11th respectively in net positive millennial migration rate (they would both rank even lower in net positive millennial migration). North Dakota (18%) and Colorado (13.8%) rank 1st and 2nd.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 8:42 PM

^
You're right. I should have looked at the original article.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:34 PM

Okay, I'll ask this question again since it got lost in the purge.

Does anybody know what the latest news on that State St. project around 250S is? You know, the one that's just a half-built steel frame? I know the developer ran out of money, but I haven't heard anything recent about it.

That steel frame and covered sidewalk has just become part of the landscape at this point lol

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Okay, I'll ask this question again since it got lost in the purge.

Does anybody know what the latest news on that State St. project around 250S is? You know, the one that's just a half-built steel frame? I know the developer ran out of money, but I haven't heard anything recent about it.

That steel frame and covered sidewalk has just become part of the landscape at this point lol
No progress. I believe the engineering is flawed in the structure. One of many issues with the La Porte project. They will probably have to demolish before proceeding with building anything on that parcel.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:49 PM

Do the same developers still own it?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Sorry to kill the short lived positive tone, but that data seemed off to me so I looked at the original (cited) article and it appears whoever wrote the sentence above is wrong. If you look at the data from the original article, Utah and Alaska rank first and second respectively among states in the portion of residents that are millennials, not for net positive millennial migration.

Among all states, Utah (3.3%) and Alaska (4.1%) rank 18th and 11th respectively in net positive millennial migration rate (they would both rank even lower in net positive millennial migration). North Dakota (18%) and Colorado (13.8%) rank 1st and 2nd.
I suspected something was up. I figured we would have a lot of native millennials, but not a lot of them moving here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Do the same developers still own it?
Last I heard, the owners defaulted on their loan and Citibank had decided to seek a foreclosure on the property, and that's where it was left off. I'd be interested to know if anyone has purchased the property yet. I'm sure other people have access to that info.

This is the most recent article I can find on it:
http://utahstories.com/2016/12/salt-...st-jungle-gym/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 6:59 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Someone was saying that there’s going to be a major crack down on panhandling soon. Does anyone know if that’s true? I’ve been trying to call the cops on the ones that stand in the middle of North Temple every day... for safety and disrupting traffic.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:26 AM

After reading that article I would assume that LaPorte is tied up in litigation. Hopefully, that's about to be resolved. I'm glad that Citibank didn't hand over control of the property to Cowboy. I'm just not convinced that Cowboy would be willing or able to put up the kind of quality project there that that location deserves. Given what has been happening lately with interest in Downtown from much more sophisticated national developers, I would hope that a Patrinely type would pick up the property from Citibank.

I'm sad to see the Rex Theatre re-creation fall by the wayside. Maybe in the end we'll get a first class mixed-use project, with a respectable tower out of this mess. A major national/international developer with the right financial set-up would have the ability to negotiate an attractive settlement in litigation. That property's potential, even in its current condition, has become a very attractive commodity over the past few years, given its location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West