HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 2:24 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I'm kind of feeling we are overdue for a new round of proposals on sites that are not currently in play.
Seriously. These developers are being super inconsiderate.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 5:47 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Yes indeed. Or movement on sites that have been sitting quiet.
I am astonished a project has not been proposed at the closed post office location.

It almost seems Nate Paul like to let such prime land in a booming downtown be used for parking for years now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 12:54 AM

We have been pretty good so far about predicting the next big (300'+) projects to break ground. But it's getting tougher now with the recent ground breakings of significant projects.

Based on site plan status, the Block L Broadmoor office towers (308' & 398') and Riverside Residences (572') look close to site plan approval. Brandywine doesn't seem to like speculative projects, so I don't think the Block L projects will start without a major tenant lined up. Riverside Residences is being developed by TC/High Street, and I have always had complete confidence in anything TC connected.

Then there's the long time approved Travis project hanging out there as a wild card.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:22 PM

So next towers to break ground are:

1. The Republic
2. River Street Residences
3. the supertall?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:

1. The Republic
3. the supertall?
Hell yeah,

realistically...how many do we think will break ground in 2022?

I'll peg the over/under at "8" and take the under. I'm thinking 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over.

In 2025 our skyline will be a top 5 US skyline for me, behind NYC, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Seattle. By 2030 we could see 20-30 new buildings easily, mind-blowing.

How many skyscraper do you think we could fit downtown? How many more can we fit in here without tearing down 200fters?

Eventually, I believe the future of skyscrapers will be between 10th and 18th, and of course the Statesman area...loads of prospects. Which would shoot our skyline into a mini Vancouver (favorite skyline I've visited)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:46 PM
Resident Moron

I think that Austins "core" CBD will be out of non World Class Capital owned surface lots in the next 5 years.

I think we will start to see the Capital/South of Campus area develop next with South Shore and the East-side filling in completely.

I think the parking garages will be the next thing to go downtown. Those should be easy-ish teardowns. We will absolutely in the next 20 years start to see older shorter high rises torn down.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:

1. The Republic
3. the supertall?
Wait.. whatabout the BBVA? I thought that was breaking ground real soon.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Wait.. whatabout the BBVA? I thought that was breaking ground real soon.
Maiko will be closing by the end of the month. So yep. It should be starting rather soon. 415 Colorado probably isn't too far off either.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:

1. The Republic
3. the supertall?
I would go with:

1. 321 West
3. The Republic (If the Parking lot doesn't re-open in November, I would move this to #2.)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I would go with:

1. 321 West
3. The Republic (If the Parking lot doesn't re-open in November, I would move this to #2.)
I'm going:
1. 415 Colorado
3. 321 West
4. The Republic
5. Supertall

2022 could be very special.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:29 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Hell yeah,

realistically...how many do we think will break ground in 2022?

I'll peg the over/under at "8" and take the under. I'm thinking 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over.

In 2025 our skyline will be a top 5 US skyline for me, behind NYC, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Seattle. By 2030 we could see 20-30 new buildings easily, mind-blowing.

How many skyscraper do you think we could fit downtown? How many more can we fit in here without tearing down 200fters?

Eventually, I believe the future of skyscrapers will be between 10th and 18th, and of course the Statesman area...loads of prospects. Which would shoot our skyline into a mini Vancouver (favorite skyline I've visited)
Okay, but… Pittsburgh? Not Miami?

Like…

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Houston
Seattle, Pittsburgh, Denver, Minneapolis, Austin, Dallas, etc.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I'm going:
1. 415 Colorado
3. 321 West
4. The Republic
5. Supertall

2022 could be very special.
415 Colorado would be my fourth choice. But it's at least a month away from getting its density bonus, and probably longer based on the DC staff's comments. That means it is at least two months away from getting the bonus. After that it still needs site plan approval. But this one appears financed, so I'm not worried about it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Okay, but… Pittsburgh? Not Miami?

Like…

NYC
Chicago
Miami
San Francisco
Houston
Seattle, Pittsburgh, Denver, Minneapolis, Austin, Dallas, etc.
don't sleep on the Burgh....its dope. Everything about that skyline is cool. The rivers converging, the bridges, stadiums, huge park with a massive fountain, the ships, the density, the mix of old and new-ish, the tunnel entrance into the city is spectacular, super vibrant, super historic... Austin has none of these.

Austin has less than zero history/historic buildings compared to Pittsburgh. Even some of the streets are original brick, so I was told.

I love Austin, but damn, downtown Pittsburgh charmed me like no other city. I love dense, walkable, REAL, interesting cities.

Austin has a long way to go, but I'm happy to wait. I see our ever changing skyline much like I see myself, optimistic.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
don't sleep on the Burgh....its dope. Everything about that skyline is cool. The rivers converging, the bridges, stadiums, huge park with a massive fountain, the ships, the density, the mix of old and new-ish, the tunnel entrance into the city is spectacular, super vibrant, super historic... Austin has none of these.

Austin has less than zero history/historic buildings compared to Pittsburgh. Even some of the streets are original brick, so I was told.

I love Austin, but damn, downtown Pittsburgh charmed me like no other city. I love dense, walkable, REAL, interesting cities.

Austin has a long way to go, but I'm happy to wait. I see our ever changing skyline much like I see myself, optimistic.
I may be a bit biased coming from the Bay Area but I'm kind of with wwmiv on his list of US skylines
  1. NYC
  2. Chicago
  3. Miami
  4. San Francisco
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Seattle
  7. Philadelphia
  8. Minneapolis
  9. Houston
  10. Austin (Will easily surpass most of these in the 2020s)

Pittsburgh definitely has the #2 MLB stadium imo right behind SF and after San Diego.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:21 AM

Phoenix and San Antonio are numbers 1 and 2 for me on best skylines.

Jk

There's no telling what Austin will look like. I think it will surprise a lot of people over the next 10 years. I can see it making a legit competitor to cities like Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis, etc. Might be hard to see it, but you never know.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:46 PM

I think having your downtown core next to a water source is a huge bonus, which is everything on my list except for Houston.

I'm very biased here but I still think it would be very hard to compete with San Francisco. Golden Gate and Bay Bridge (especially with the LED lights) are very iconic and known world wide. If you even include Oakland's skyline then that's hard to top.

Austin's skyline in, maybe 2025, going through i35... that WILL look massive, especially with how 44 East looks like rn.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Phoenix and San Antonio are numbers 1 and 2 for me on best skylines.
Crack is a heck of a drug

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I think that Austins "core" CBD will be out of non World Class Capital owned surface lots in the next 5 years.

I think we will start to see the Capital/South of Campus area develop next with South Shore and the East-side filling in completely.

I think the parking garages will be the next thing to go downtown. Those should be easy-ish teardowns. We will absolutely in the next 20 years start to see older shorter high rises torn down.
Yep, a little under ten years ago, I did a growth projection for Downtown. Based on what we knew was in the pipeline back then, and our projected population and job growth in the metro, I forecast that by 2025 we would have used up all of the easy to develop sites such as surface parking lots and one-story buildings. By 2035, we would have to redevelop increasing larger buildings.

Based on what we are seeing today, I think my forecast was accurate, if not a little conservative. I certainly did not foresee the significant increase in large office buildings we have seen in the past few years, and the scale of development has increased dramatically.

I suspect we will see redevelopment of the Hobby Building within the next five years.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Yep, a little under ten years ago, I did a growth projection for Downtown. Based on what we knew was in the pipeline back then, and our projected population and job growth in the metro, I forecast that by 2025 we would have used up all of the easy to develop sites such as surface parking lots and one-story buildings. By 2035, we would have to redevelop increasing larger buildings.

Based on what we are seeing today, I think my forecast was accurate, if not a little conservative. I certainly did not foresee the significant increase in large office buildings we have seen in the past few years, and the scale of development has increased dramatically.

I suspect we will see redevelopment of the Hobby Building within the next five years.
Yeah, I think the next big phase will be (government depending) redevelopment of north downtown, essentially between downtown and UT. It's already happening to some extent with some new condos and hotels up there (the Linden, Otis Marriott, etc.), but I think that will only get busier as the capital complex finishes, and the State can manage to get rid of some of the gigantic parking garages near the capital.

Obviously South Shore would be something big as well, along with anything that might happen with Texas School for the Deaf (though likely more like 10-15 years for that).

Then finally, we've seen a couple planned things that ultimately fell through, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple new re-developments of historical buildings, where they build a highrise right on top of it. Particularly along Congress.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 9:28 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

It's crazy to think Austin could have a supertall, two 800'ers, five 700'ers, two 600'ers, and several more over 400' tall - all under construction at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin