HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
It looks like they've just removed the old 'sun screens' from the existing original casement windows. That western exposure gets roasted, I'd be surprised if they're gone for long. Some awnings would go a long way towards helping though, and would brighten up the place. That desolate facade and landscape-free sidewalk has always bummed me out.
Yea, I walk by this wall a few times per week and I hate it. Hopefully, as you've suggested, some awnings would go in place.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 PM

Inventive use of an odd-shaped lot proposed for apartments at Washington & the 143, next to the Desert Schools building.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-17-16.pdf

Would be cool to see some residential density build up in this area.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Inventive use of an odd-shaped lot proposed for apartments at Washington & the 143, next to the Desert Schools building.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-17-16.pdf

Would be cool to see some residential density build up in this area.
Pretty nice use of an odd-shaped lot!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:52 PM

That's right by my work. I've often thought how under-utilized that area is.

I like the idea of more residential in the area. It's centrally located, along the light-rail, and near a lot of employers.

However, unlike the apartments at 44th and Washington that were recently finished, this project appears to be much more suburban in nature. It appears that there will only be surface parking, and the complex will be gated.

On the plus side, it looks like the building will be built up relatively close to Van Buren, and having an apartment building is better than what's currently there- a vacant lot.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That's right by my work. I've often thought how under-utilized that area is.

I like the idea of more residential in the area. It's centrally located, along the light-rail, and near a lot of employers.

However, unlike the apartments at 44th and Washington that were recently finished, this project appears to be much more suburban in nature. It appears that there will only be surface parking, and the complex will be gated.

On the plus side, it looks like the building will be built up relatively close to Van Buren, and having an apartment building is better than what's currently there- a vacant lot.
yeah seriously on a lot like that someone might not take a stab at it for decades lets just give it to them haha!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 6:56 PM
Modulator

I was just stuck for 30 minutes in parked traffic on Central close to McDowell. Somehow, a driver managed to plow his car over the curb and through the Muse construction fence next to the Arizona Opera building. It doesn't look like any of the constuction crew were hurt or any damage was done to the construction. But seriously, what is wrong with Arizona drivers???

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I was just stuck for 30 minutes in parked traffic on Central close to McDowell. Somehow, a driver managed to plow his car over the curb and through the Muse construction fence next to the Arizona Opera building. It doesn't look like any of the constuction crew were hurt or any damage was done to the construction. But seriously, what is wrong with Arizona drivers???
Was it a lost snowbird who made his way out of Sun City West?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
That's just crazy!!! I've never heard of a car accident outside of Arizona before!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
That's just crazy!!! I've never heard of a car accident outside of Arizona before!
That was my first thought, only drivers in Arizona can run into fences.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 8:19 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That was my first thought, only drivers in Arizona can run into fences.
Nooo. This driver literally t-boned the fence....not at slight angle...not grazed. I'm talking the tire tracks were at a 90° angle to the fence and the car was a good 20 feet into the construction zone. Remember there are light rail tracks only 2 lanes in front of the Muse development. How this driver achieved enough speed to hit the fence at a 90° angle OVER the street curb and continue going that far into the construction zone is what's crazy.

For what it's worth, I drive for a living and have for 25 years. I average about 125 miles per day and have lived in 5 states. So when I say "Arizona drivers", that should not be taken lightly! LOL. I have seen people do some seriously crazy shit here that makes me just scratch my head.

If anyone is interested, I have a picture if a car on top of a 3 foot builder at the post office parking lot on E. Thomas. I'll have to dig this picture out. It was only 1 week after I moved here and I couldn't help but think WTF?? The driver just literally gunned it over the boulder from the parking space!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 10:40 PM
Modulator

Lots of construction equipment and dirt being moved at Edison Midtown now. I'm not sure if this is actual development work or still just utility work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:17 PM

Report: Lawmakers to grant downtown Phoenix grocery store tax abatement

The city is considering a GPLET for the downtown Fry's Source

Quote:
PHOENIX — After Fry’s Food announced its plans to build downtown Phoenix’s first full-service grocery store last week, questions started to emerge regarding how much the city will help with the cost.

The 55,000-square-foot mixed-use project may carry a price tag of $200 million and according to an official with RED Development, the developer is negotiating with the city “to assist with the higher costs” of building in the city’s core.

Deputy City Manager Paul Blue wouldn’t reveal details about the negotiations, but City Councilman Jim Waring said Tuesday he had been briefed on the negotiations, and they had indicated they’re leaning heavily toward a tax-abatement tool called Government Property Lease Excise Tax – or GPLET.

The developers want to build the project between Washington and Jefferson streets and First and Second streets, which currently serves as a surface parking lot on city-owned land.

Jeff Moloznik, vice president of development for RED Development, said via email that the city would continue to own the land and enter into a long-term lease agreement as part of the development.

In a GPLET, the city continues to own the land and essentially leases the property to the development, which means the project doesn’t have to pay as many taxes. The city has used the tool in the past – recently for a “micro-housing” development near downtown – to spur economic development.

Corporations have saved millions of dollars in property taxes over the years because of the incentive, which critics say unfairly puts the tax burden on residents and other businesses.

Dan Klocke, vice president of Downtown Phoenix Inc., said he didn’t know if the project will receive the tax abatement. However, he said he believes this type of project would create a lot of sales, which would generate a high return once this project is complete.

“If it’s needed, I think it makes sense for the city to be negotiating with the developer,” Klocke said.

Waring, who has a long history objecting to GPLET incentives, said he would oppose such a move. As former state senate chairman of the finance committee, he said many small businesses have come forward saying the GPLET is unfair.

He said they complain about paying taxes to fund their competition, instead of the state providing more financial means for existing businesses.

“It’s really just the tax burden,” he said. “Honestly, competitors are sort of (saying) ‘well, you’re helping them build their business to compete with me.’ ”

Waring said he would like to seek other financial options.

“I am willing to listen to other discussions and other ideas,” he said. “I don’t know what those would be. My guess is they would get the votes for the GPLET and that will be it.”

Blue said the mayor’s office and city council have made bringing a grocery store to the downtown area a priority. Downtown has grown in recent years, and Downtown Phoenix Inc. estimates 9,000 people now live in the area.

Blue said city officials view the grocery store as a necessity for those who live and work in the area.

Residents must now travel north across Interstate 10 to get to the closest supermarket at Seventh Street and McDowell Road.

Councilman Michael Nowakowski, whose district includes downtown, said residents can expect a groundbreaking ceremony by the end of the year.

He also said the Fry’s Food Store is predicted to open their doors at the downtown Phoenix location early 2018.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:55 PM

Old Town, Phoenix’s 44th Street, Arcadia areas among tightest for office space

Quote:
The tightest office markets in the Valley are in south and Old Town Scottsdale, the 44th Street corridor, Arcadia and other areas of east Phoenix.

The most expensive rents are in the Biltmore and Camelback Road areas ($28), Tempe ($27.54), downtown Phoenix ($26.80) and south and Old Town Scottsdale ($26.66).

Here’s more vacancy rate data from Lee
Submarket Office vacancy rate (1Q 2016
Downtown Phoenix: 16.1%
Midtown: 23%
East Phoenix: 13%
44th Street Corridor: 15.3%
Southwest Phoenix: 30.3%
Tempe: 16%
South Scottsdale: 11%
Central Scottsdale: 14.9%
Isn't a vacancy rate below 20% a signal of a strong market? Could more office space downtown be in the near future?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:10 PM

A fence went up around a vacant lot on Roanoke right off Central. It's across from the U-Haul Towers parking garage. Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the works here?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:02 PM

Delete

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
A fence went up around a vacant lot on Roanoke right off Central. It's across from the U-Haul Towers parking garage. Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the works here?

Don't know but that lot plus the ones along Thomas (the parking lots and one small office building) are all owned by Toll Brothers AZ Construction Co.

At one point in the previous boom years ago they proposed at least one huge tower there, but I can't imagine that's even still a plan.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:06 PM
Skyriser

Toll Brothers owns a lot in that area, including that lot.

Phoenix says a dustproofing permit was issued on 04/05 for 18 E Roanoke.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Toll Brothers owns a lot in that area, including that lot.

Phoenix says a dustproofing permit was issued on 04/05 for 18 E Roanoke.
When I first moved to Phoenix, I used to park in the lot and walk over to Xerox. There are 2 adjacent blacktop lots there between Roanoke and Thomas that are never more than 1/4 utilized. I've always wanted to see them place a development with a parking garage podium behind that little shopping plaza that houses Panera Bread and get rid of the parking lot fronting Thomas/Central. Add a new retail portion in place of said parking lot with shop entrances along Central and place a little courtyard between the new and existing buildings to form a little courtyard plaza

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:30 PM
Skyriser

Toll owns all the blacktop on the north side surrounding that office building and all the dirt on the south side.

This monstrosity was proposed for that lot in 2011.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/.../Z-35-06ph.pdf

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Toll owns all the blacktop on the north side surrounding that office building and all the dirt on the south side.

This monstrosity was proposed for that lot in 2011.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/projects/.../Z-35-06ph.pdf
That's hilarious and oh so Dubai-ish! It looks even crazier when you think that the one-story strip shopping center would have remained. LOL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest