HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I don't recall stopping anywhere, but do remember having to use the barf bag.
Could you possibly have changed planes in Dallas and flown to Austin on the once daily scheduled DC 6 flight to Austin? I have been searching through the attached site to try to match of my early flying experiences to the scheduled reality. I remember taking flights as a young child with my grandmother who loved to fly. One flight was from the old Amon Carter Field in Fort Worth to Houston and the other was from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Both trips were in 1952 or 53. I have been combing through these old airline timetables trying to locate the flights. One was my first flight, but I can't remember which it was. http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...e/complete.htm

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:19 AM

Totally off topic, but here is a link to pictures of the old Amon Carter Field in Fort Worth. It closed when DFW opened and was located pretty much at the southern end of DFW's original runways. It was beautiful, but it could never get the airline traffic since the airline's all favored Love Field in Dallas at that time. This is what airline travel in the 1950's looked like. https://www.google.com/search?q=amon...2F%3B600%3B380

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Totally off topic, but here is a link to pictures of the old Amon Carter Field in Fort Worth. It closed when DFW opened and was located pretty much at the southern end of DFW's original runways. It was beautiful, but it could never get the airline traffic since the airline's all favored Love Field in Dallas at that time. This is what airline travel in the 1950's looked like. https://www.google.com/search?q=amon...2F%3B600%3B380
Wow, nice find.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Could you possibly have changed planes in Dallas and flown to Austin on the once daily scheduled DC 6 flight to Austin? I have been searching through the attached site to try to match of my early flying experiences to the scheduled reality. I remember taking flights as a young child with my grandmother who loved to fly. One flight was from the old Amon Carter Field in Fort Worth to Houston and the other was from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Both trips were in 1952 or 53. I have been combing through these old airline timetables trying to locate the flights. One was my first flight, but I can't remember which it was. http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...e/complete.htm
I'll ask my older brother who was with me on that flight. I do remember that as we left the old shack terminal and drove up Airport Blvd to the new overpass at Interregional (I-35), it was after sundown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:11 AM

Woo! Approval for the section of homes on the eastern side of Berkman was requested and, I'm guessing, granted.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:17 PM

Very dense - almost a bit surprised - other than a few SF detached homes along Tom Miller it looks like it will be almost all town home or perhaps the barely detached homes that share a bit of common yard space. Many of the lots look even narrower than the town homes on Berkman.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 10:14 PM

Signage is up at the Thinkery (if it wasn't before).

Slightly more progress on the Town Center garage.

I also stopped by the Mueller HEB. I'd heard people complain about the parking situation, and it was indeed madness. Easy on a bike, though. The retail strips coming up around the HEB look a lot nicer than typical strip mall fare. I don't think it'll be too terrible from a pedestrian standpoint once its done, but it's definitely far from perfect.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:37 PM

The Thinkery really looks good, especially at night when it's all lit up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:40 PM

New Renderings of the new AISD Performing Arts Center. U/C

http://kutnews.org/post/heres-what-a...nter-will-look

I drove by the site the other day, got to say they are making progress on it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 11:49 PM

I like it!

Yeah, they are making progress on it. I drove by it today. The first walls are going up now.

Some more progress pics:

The Children's Museum looks practically all finished. I saw people inside, so I think they're up and running.

The parking structure has an outer shell now. Not sure what they're going to do with it from here, but right now it looks like some kind of anti-zombie fortress.

The other retail building is nearing completion:

And they've begun work on a new one:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:07 AM

Does anyone have any info on the time frame for the Austin Playhouse theater?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

The parking structure has an outer shell now. Not sure what they're going to do with it from here, but right now it looks like some kind of anti-zombie fortress.
Yes - it looks imposing right now - but that is temporary. The parking structure will be wrapped on all sides by buildings. On the town center side hopefully a theater. On the north and south - possibly mixed use work/live units and on the neighborhood side MF housing of some kind.

But the inner parking lot should still be zombie resistant if you need it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Yes - it looks imposing right now - but that is temporary. The parking structure will be wrapped on all sides by buildings. On the town center side hopefully a theater. On the north and south - possibly mixed use work/live units and on the neighborhood side MF housing of some kind.

But the inner parking lot should still be zombie resistant if you need it.
Are we talking 'World War Z' zombies or 'Walking Dead' zombies? Its a well known fact that this structure will NOT be high enough to keep out 'Z' zombies, where as a 6 foot high fence will keep out 'WD' zombies. So to validate your claim Komeht, they would have to be WD zombies. If they turn out to be Z zombies, you just gave the fine residents of Mueller a false sense of security, and no chance of survival, unless of course they have an acute disease. Please be more careful with your comments in the future...

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 1, 2013 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Are we talking 'World War Z' zombies or 'Walking Dead' zombies? Its a well known fact that this structure will NOT be high enough to keep out 'Z' zombies, where as a 6 foot high fence will keep out 'WD' zombies. So to validate your claim Komeht, they would have to be WD zombies. If they turn out to be Z zombies, you just gave the fine residents of Mueller a false sense of security, and no chance of survival, unless of course they have an acute disease. Please be more careful with your comments in the future...
It's not a good long term option in either case, no water or ability to cultivate food, etc. But assuming the entrances can be barricaded sufficiently the structure is impregnable enough to withstand an initial attack. A hardy group of muellerites might have a shot at survival for 48 hours or so.

Personally, I'd rather see if there's a way to fortify the HEB, perferably with a generator, which has sufficient provisions for several people to last through a long term crisis. Unfortunately, is probably not defensible.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It's not a good long term option in either case, no water or ability to cultivate food, etc. But assuming the entrances can be barricaded sufficiently the structure is impregnable enough to withstand an initial attack. A hardy group of muellerites might have a shot at survival for 48 hours or so.

Personally, I'd rather see if there's a way to fortify the HEB, perferably with a generator, which has sufficient provisions for several people to last through a long term crisis. Unfortunately, is probably not defensible.
Again, it all depends on the type of zombie, WD class vs Z class, but I agree, long term survival requires provisions, like a fortified HEB which would be quite possible with WD class zombies. You do bring up excellent points Komeht. However, I think the Waller Creek tunnel or perhaps the Capitol complex may be a better choice in taking cover for initial Z or WD class zombie attacks. I don't think such attacks would come without advanced warning and by the time you take cover at any HEB, they probably would have already been looted clean.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 12:59 AM
Meh

I wish they'd open a location in Southcentral Austin. There's one in Southwest Austin, but that's a bit far and off the beaten path for us.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-its-next.html
Quote:
Oct 16, 2013, 7:47pm CDT
Torchy's Tacos unveils its next location

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Torchy’s Tacos will open it’s 11th Austin location in Mueller, the infill master-planned community in Central Austin.

But don’t get those taste buds fired up right away. The Mueller restaurant won’t open until next summer.

The site is a corner lot at 51st Street and Berkman Drive.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wish they'd open a location in Southcentral Austin. There's one in Southwest Austin, but that's a bit far and off the beaten path for us.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-its-next.html
What exactly do you consider "Southcentral" Austin?

I'd include all of these Torchy's locations as South Central...

1311 S. 1st.
2809 S. 1st.
3005 S. Lamar

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 4:07 AM

That's really great news. It's going to be ridiculously, ridiculously popular.

Speaking of Mueller, since I work right around there I can easily keep an eye on it. The performing arts center is really rising quickly. It's already quite tall and you can easily tell what it is.

They've already got the curbs laid down for the neighborhood streets between Barbara Jordan and Philomena. I'd say most of the houses planned between Robert Browning and Philomena have been built. And they were built fast, so it won't take long for them to do the others.

And, speaking of others, there's a bunch of Caterpillar machines east of Berkman now, which is an exciting sight. Seems like they're about to start work on that new section I posted about before. The biggest hole in Austin's urban fabric will soon be one step closer to being filled in. That's partly why I love the Mueller development so much. That space was/is just this huge, gaping hole in a relatively central part of the city of Austin. To me, it's kind of like the quasi-suburban version of developing the formerly industrial southwest part of downtown. It needs to be done for Austin to heal and be "complete".

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:27 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Expert View Post
What exactly do you consider "Southcentral" Austin?

I'd include all of these Torchy's locations as South Central...

1311 S. 1st.
2809 S. 1st.
3005 S. Lamar
I meant to clarify that I meant areas south of Ben White where there are none. The only one south of Ben White is in Southwest Austin. My bad.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I meant to clarify that I meant areas south of Ben White where there are none. The only one south of Ben White is in Southwest Austin. My bad.
The one is SW Austin is in the front of the shopping center where Costco and Whole Foods are located on Wm. Cannon b/w Mopac and Brush Creek right next to the Kerbey Lane. I thought you lived fairly close to this area, Kevin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin